Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Bit of an old thread, but recently this is Moab's take in the matter.

img_0570.jpg

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2014/11/21/max_1653733_793262870736749_2765881818956663103_n_947190.jpg?1416595988

They going to have to ask the UCI for their scanner to check for motors  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

If the UCI cannot stop motors in WT races, whats the chance of some little trail stopping them?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of an old thread, but this is Moab's take in the matter.

img_0570.jpg

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2014/11/21/max_1653733_793262870736749_2765881818956663103_n_947190.jpg?1416595988

I'm for ebikes being allowed on trails, as long as the restrictions are outlined. it must be obvious that if you rock up with your motorbike you will be charged.

I'm also for trails to be pedal only - they can choose to keep it that way, the ebike riding mtbers will go to another trail close by.

Here in Copenhagen e-bikes are scorned by riders! The old and invalid use them and then only if they're really old and really invalidded. Oh and mailman. In Denmark old people *** you out if you give them your seat on thr bus. I like that. A lot.

E-bikes should be "last resort" in my opinion. How farkon soft has society got that people "need" ebikes? Very few people actually need ebikes. They're just farkin soft.

Riders like to defend their local trails.

But nothing close to surfers and their local breaks. I see some okes peeing their wetsuits brown when these turn up at the backline.

And since somehow SUPs got accepted, you can't really argue against these

Here in Copenhagen e-bikes are scorned by riders! The old and invalid use them and then only if they're really old and really invalidded. Oh and mailman. In Denmark old people *** you out if you give them your seat on thr bus. I like that. A lot.

E-bikes should be "last resort" in my opinion. How farkon soft has society got that people "need" ebikes? Very few people actually need ebikes. They're just farkin soft.

YES, physically fit and capable people have no "need" for ebikes.

BUT, thanks to a lazy generation the technology is developing fast .... opening a whole new world of options for those with limited mobility

PROBLEM - when you get a physically fit person getting on an ebike, then become a snake causing trouble on a trail ....  Look at the various YouTube videos of the 2017 series of ebikes - all showing of agressive riding styles.  Promoting a new breed of trail snakes .... I would not want to share a trail with such ....

Due to my knees and arthritis my riding is restricted to SHORT and docile rides.  FINE for now !  I get to enjoy the outdoors with the little one.  And I get valuable mobility and training while doing these short rides.  Few years from now the little one will be going further and faster than my knees will allow - I WILL then get an ebike, and enjoy a few more years on the trails with him.  (Have the option to buy a 2nd-hand one now, but as I dont (k)need it know I will happily carry on with my short unassisted rides.)  And as a previous poster said - perfect solution for a husband and wife to spend time together, without the wife struggling to keep up ....

PROBLEM - when you get a physically fit person getting on an ebike, then become a snake causing trouble on a trail ....  Look at the various YouTube videos of the 2017 series of ebikes - all showing of agressive riding styles.  Promoting a new breed of trail snakes .... I would not want to share a trail with such ....

So, as I see it, you are advocating the thread title to be changed to 'Do D!cks belong on the mountain?' eD!ck to coin a phrase!!

i think the answer is no, they don't belong on the mountain

Same argument as you got Dura Ace* on your bike, you don't need that when Sora* works just as well (*replace whatever groupset you want to make the point)

That was the exact opposite to my experience in amsterdam when they were just taking off, but this is now going back to 2009. People in business suits riding to work is awesome, the more that can do it the better.

I tried an ebike and I liked it. But it definitely required a deeper immersion in the art of pushing buttons and gear selection. I think there is a great market for the heavy hitting trail bike variety ( as most seem to be)  to get you up jeep tracks as easily as possible so you can enjoy the descents fresher and more often. 

I tried an ebike and I liked it. But it definitely required a deeper immersion in the art of pushing buttons and gear selection. I think there is a great market for the heavy hitting trail bike variety ( as most seem to be)  to get you up jeep tracks as easily as possible so you can enjoy the descents fresher and more often. 

The very reason I'd be prepared to drop some dough on the Turbo Levo or equivalent. 

I THINK THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!

Just after I get to try one.

It is an interesting conundrum tho. How do you ban E Bikes at a place like Jonkers when their biggest proponent, Specialized, is the biggest contributor to trail building in the area?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

For commuting e bikes are acceptable.

If you are doing holiday touring ebikes are acceptable.

When you are racing against other ebikes, ebikes are acceptable.

When you enter an UCI event or any event against normal bikes, then you the biggest form of trash know (except for dopers and Grace Mugabe).

When you ride on trails on an ebike, then you should be be over 65, have suffered a serious injury (possibly loss of limb) and have a letter on you signed by both of your living parents attesting to the extent of your injury.

Same argument as you got Dura Ace* on your bike, you don't need that when Sora* works just as well (*replace whatever groupset you want to make the point)

That was the exact opposite to my experience in amsterdam when they were just taking off, but this is now going back to 2009. People in business suits riding to work is awesome, the more that can do it the better.

Different argument in my opinion - one is getting a better bike (Dura Ace) - the other is getting half a motorbike. Apples and oranges.

I have nothing against using e-bike to fill in for handicaps/weaknesses  - allowing older people to remain cyclists, extend range of people wanting to ride to work, allowing special needs people to be cyclists but I draw the line at fit/healthy cyclists being lazy and/or simply wanting to go faster.

I really don't get it. If you want to go really fast buy a motorbike. If you like downhills then hit actual downhills with a shuttle.

This whole "oh I like the downhills but couldn't arsed to ride the uphills so I plan on getting an ebike to go and shred the descents on the local trails" thing fuddles my brains.

All my own opinion of course - I'm all for anyone doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with other people doing what they want. I guess that means I'll never own one (until I'm oooold) and would prefer to not have them on the trails. Logic dictates that they should be allowed on the trails as long as they aren't powerful enough to rip up trail motox style and the riders don't roost and/or tear past people at stupid/dangerous speed.

Different argument in my opinion - one is getting a better bike (Dura Ace) - the other is getting half a motorbike. Apples and oranges.

I have nothing against using e-bike to fill in for handicaps/weaknesses - allowing older people to remain cyclists, extend range of people wanting to ride to work, allowing special needs people to be cyclists but I draw the line at fit/healthy cyclists being lazy and/or simply wanting to go faster.

I really don't get it. If you want to go really fast buy a motorbike. If you like downhills then hit actual downhills with a shuttle.

This whole "oh I like the downhills but couldn't arsed to ride the uphills so I plan on getting an ebike to go and shred the descents on the local trails" thing fuddles my brains.

All my own opinion of course - I'm all for anyone doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with other people doing what they want. I guess that means I'll never own one (until I'm oooold) and would prefer to not have them on the trails. Logic dictates that they should be allowed on the trails as long as they aren't powerful enough to rip up trail motox style and the riders don't roost and/or tear past people at stupid/dangerous speed.

Depends what a dangerous speed is. Seems one fellow just smashed the KOM of one of our Savages around Contermans on one of these things (there is a picture of it on the ride). Knowing how fast the Savages go, being a full 2mins faster around there must be hazardous. :whistling:

Depends what a dangerous speed is. Seems one fellow just smashed the KOM of one of our Savages around Contermans on one of these things (there is a picture of it on the ride). Knowing how fast the Savages go, being a full 2mins faster around there must be hazardous. :whistling:

link link link link

link link link link

Not sure how to link to the app but you can search the segments.

post-17362-0-51063900-1503064931_thumb.png

Edited by Thor Buttox