[Event] Emperors Palace Classic

News bot

Eek. Doing my first ever mountain bike race as I have entered the 25km one.

I am nervous but excited if that makes sense. I realise for most it's a 'little race' but have to start somewhere.

I am pretty polite and know to let faster people past me and pull over to the left.

Any other tips so that I don't unintentionally do something wrong?

Just have fun.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was 2/3 years ago the short route was the same out and back it will be this year and as we(VA) came passed carnival on our return the leading short bunch where just about to come up to the turn around point. So if start times and race speeds remain similar then only the first couple of long groups will miss the shorter riders, The rest will have to fight for a narrow busy road back.

Anyway, entry fee too steep imho for that race.

By my calculations, VC may just squeeze through before the first groups in the 48km rejoin the route. However, the first groups (licensed) will be riding into traffic that is coming the opposite way, i.e. Traffic meaning the later start groups.

So that's $, VA, VB, TL and VC - the groups thereafter it's not ideal.

edit, assuming weather conditions and race pace is the same as before

Edited by Frosty

By my calculations, VC may just squeeze through before the first groups in the 48km rejoin the route. However, the first groups (licensed) will be riding into traffic that is coming the opposite way, i.e. Traffic meaning the later start groups.

So that's $, VA, VB, TL and VC - the groups thereafter it's not ideal.

edit, assuming weather conditions and race pace is the same as before

Yeah this is sort of the impression I got, hence my question.

Entered the short with the wifey for her first road event. :unsure:  Glad I am not doing the long route negotiating the 48ers Will be coaching her on the ways of the road and proper behaviour etc. Will be an easy day on the legs but more stressful than racing A or VA making sure she doesn't get run-over by the long groups... :lol:

Yeah this is sort of the impression I got, hence my question.

And it's been like that since day 1 - at least late 2000's... long and short mixing on the route.

Eek. Doing my first ever mountain bike race as I have entered the 25km one.

I am nervous but excited if that makes sense. I realise for most it's a 'little race' but have to start somewhere.

I am pretty polite and know to let faster people past me and pull over to the left.

Any other tips so that I don't unintentionally do something wrong?

Nice bit of tar section in the beginning to let the race snakes get ahead, then plenty single track through forest section and some wide dirt roads. There is a drop off which can be quite tricky especially if wet, if unsure rather get off and push. 

Cyclelab Boksburg did the MTB route on Sat, speaking to some of the guys that rode it the trail is looking good so now hopefully the rain stays away.