Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rode it this morning,,no real problems,just a bit bumpy here and there ,no serious potholes.

You need a way bigger base before EL... it is hot, humid and hilly!!.... you need to be doubling your September and October figures for November and December and around your July figures for the January taper.... which will limit your suffering in EL

Remember, I have been building my "base" since March. Had absolutely zero base when I started. Not in a single sport. Only been riding my bike since May. I don't think doubling up on all my training is actually a good idea, especially on the running end. Distances are ramping up slowly, and plan on getting many more long rides in over December. My goal is to finish as it's my first half distance. 

To be honest at this years IM I didn't really think that the road surface was that bad?

The first and last 20km of each lap was bad.  I guess its about perspective because I compare it to the 70.3 races and Challenge Roth.

Maybe I am not a real Ironman.  Or maybe doing the same race 7 times is starting to bore me.

They should change the route really.  It doesn't make sense to turn around 2km before the most scenic part of it all......

Maybe go back to the three lap route

To be honest at this years IM I didn't really think that the road surface was that bad?

Anyone who has ridden the Beyers section of the cradle loop will NEVER complain about bumpy roads.. 

I'm in pe around Christmas time and will be looking for swimming partners to go swim at the pier

shout when you down, theres a weekly friday swim happening from the pier at 5 in the afternoon,

Remember, I have been building my "base" since March. Had absolutely zero base when I started. Not in a single sport. Only been riding my bike since May. I don't think doubling up on all my training is actually a good idea, especially on the running end. Distances are ramping up slowly, and plan on getting many more long rides in over December. My goal is to finish as it's my first half distance

As it should be, enjoy they crowed and everything that goes with it and do not worry about your time to much the first time. 

Remember, I have been building my "base" since March. Had absolutely zero base when I started. Not in a single sport. Only been riding my bike since May. I don't think doubling up on all my training is actually a good idea, especially on the running end. Distances are ramping up slowly, and plan on getting many more long rides in over December. My goal is to finish as it's my first half distance. 

Understood, but expect a big learning curve and to understand you are going to have a long day getting to the finish, so try to enjoy it as best you can and learn from it.

March to October is plenty of time to build base as well as ramp up... maybe you need to make your ramp a little steeper in future ;)

My first 70.3 I went from a cycling background, zero running and minimal swimming but trained hard for 6 months to considerably bigger distances and still suffered.... but not enough to put me off, so much so that I look forward to doing full IM's and think of 70.3's as training events lol

As for the time between now and EL.... look to ramp up your running, that is where you will suffer the most, swimming and cycling you can wing it... but there is nowhere to hide on the run.... else it will become a long walk with occasional jogs

Thanks for this link, will look at changing my main training plan to one of these

If you are considering using trainipeaks, there is also an app you can install on your phone to make ease of access to see what workouts are lined up etc... rather than having to log into the website all the time.

Also link trainingpeaks with your garmin/fitness device so that it auto-syncs to TP your data and TSS score, you can then start to monitor your CTL, ATL and TSB with regard to fitness, fatigue and overall performance.... if you are into dissecting data

There a few blogs written in trainingpeaks regarding CTL etc

As for the time between now and EL.... look to ramp up your running, that is where you will suffer the most, swimming and cycling you can wing it... but there is nowhere to hide on the run.... else it will become a long walk with occasional jogs

...and there's Bunkers hill, twice.

Understood, but expect a big learning curve and to understand you are going to have a long day getting to the finish, so try to enjoy it as best you can and learn from it.

March to October is plenty of time to build base as well as ramp up... maybe you need to make your ramp a little steeper in future ;)

My first 70.3 I went from a cycling background, zero running and minimal swimming but trained hard for 6 months to considerably bigger distances and still suffered.... but not enough to put me off, so much so that I look forward to doing full IM's and think of 70.3's as training events lol

Talking to myself here (as i do before every event, and just ignore my own advice in the race), but usually running issues comes from pushing to hard on the bike leg, especially if you do not have a tt bike.

The cycle at EL is tough and if the weather gods conspire it becomes a nightmare. While only a half if you tight on time from the swim you under extreme pressure on the bike just to finish in the allotted time. Make no mistake 1300 odd meters of climb is going to sap you seriously. I know more than one who missed cut off on he bike. So my advice, focus on the bike and spend long hours Inc the saddle. Once u make the bike cut off the run can be walked so don’t worry too much about that. Go cycle mid day In December to ensure you are as prepared as possible,

If you are considering using trainipeaks, there is also an app you can install on your phone to make ease of access to see what workouts are lined up etc... rather than having to log into the website all the time.

Also link trainingpeaks with your garmin/fitness device so that it auto-syncs to TP your data and TSS score, you can then start to monitor your CTL, ATL and TSB with regard to fitness, fatigue and overall performance.... if you are into dissecting data

There a few blogs written in trainingpeaks regarding CTL etc

Thanks i have downloaded the app. As for the acronyms, are they available on the basic (Cheapskate) version or only to the full members?

Talking to myself here (as i do before every event, and just ignore my own advice in the race), but usually running issues comes from pushing to hard on the bike leg, especially if you do not have a tt bike.

Doing your first 70.3 you unlikely to be going too hard as you are forever saving yourself for the run... unless of course you are pushed on time.

But I agree once you have done a few races, a lot forget about pacing and hammer the cycle (competitive nature) leaving nothing for the run..... but even then I still think you need to be running fit to have a half decent run.  Since my very first 70.3 I focus a lot more on running and becoming a runner

Archived