Knysna Cycle Tour

Super Sywurm

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief fellow cyclists this is a disaster on an epic scale and 15% of Knysna is either burnt to the ground or damaged.I honestly do not think that this wonderful event will take place as I have spoken to a friend who no longer has a home and from what he described we can only pray for all affected by this tragedy.Sorry to be pessimistic but my friend ,who now does not have a MTB anymore,says that it will really not be anything like we have come to know of the race if indeed it is to happen.

I'm very glad that the festival is still going to happen. Feels important to keep the events alive and to have some sense that community life continues despite and in the face of such calamity.

We have booked to stay in two places - a larger one in Brenton-on-sea for the first weekend when family will be joining us for the weekend of the two bike races and for the next week until the running race in van Reenen I think it is. The latter is unscathed by the fires but I don't know about the Brenton house - I know that area was one of the worst hit.

Regardless - we're coming through with bikes and running shoes.

Aluta continua victoria acerta everybody.

We have an aunt in Sedgefield, thankfully not directly affected by the fires.  Still too close for comfort, and really feel for all involved !!

The festivals and cycle races may well be a first step towards getting the local economy going again .... not an easy step, but an important step to get the cashflow going again ....

I'm very glad that the festival is still going to happen. Feels important to keep the events alive and to have some sense that community life continues despite and in the face of such calamity.

We have booked to stay in two places - a larger one in Brenton-on-sea for the first weekend when family will be joining us for the weekend of the two bike races and for the next week until the running race in van Reenen I think it is. The latter is unscathed by the fires but I don't know about the Brenton house - I know that area was one of the worst hit.

Regardless - we're coming through with bikes and running shoes.

Aluta continua victoria acerta everybody.

Very glad to read that you are coming through. I live in Hoekwil and have ridden/driven through much of the area. The devastation is terrible. I will be back home in July and will be attending as much of the Festival as possible. It is very sad to drive into Knysna and see the damage done, in fact after the second bought of flare ups the burnt areas are just east of Sedgies all the way along the N2.

I believe that Knysna needs all the support now with as many folks attending the various activities during the Festival as possible. (As well as the great help that is flowing in via donations and funds)

Got confirmation that our accommodation for the weekend burnt down. Guess the best option at this stage is to try Sedgefield.

We had the privilege of moving down to this little piece of paradise about 15 months ago.  In that short time we have made the most remarkable friends through cycling.  In our small circle we have SIX cycling friends who have lost everything, BUT everything.  My heart breaks, one cannot begin to describe the devastation that surrounds us and that is why we need your support for the Oyster Festival. We rode part of the Argus when it burnt down, we can do it again for Knysna.  The community here is exceptional, so resilient, we never hear anyone complaining, we just got off our butts and helped wherever we could and still are. Knysna is a tourist town, we rely on events like the Oyster Festival, we will open our homes if need be should anyone need accommodation. Please refer to the Cycle Knysna Facebook Page, posted by Rob Hill of PB Training:

As you all know many of Knysna's cyclists have lost all there cycling kit. So, a few of us thought it would be a great idea to start a collection to help our fellow cyclists. If you have any cycling kit, equipment or paraphernalia that you would like to donate please drop it off at PBTraining (where Metelerkamps used to be) and we will make sure it goes those who need it. Any leftover kit will go to the Knysna sports school. Please share and spread the word. 

19060173_10154903083248335_8388753883591

Heard on KFM this morning that the Knysna Cycle tour is still going on as planned. Living in Groot Brakrivier I have been asked by people up country, if I have been to Knysna since the fires, just said that I've got no reason to go there at this stage as I can only believe that the affected Knysna (and surrounding area's people) need their space to come to terms with the last two weeks happenings.

We just gave off what we could at our local church (Hope Church in George) who dispatched donations to the relevant parties for Knysna and surrounding areas. 

Listened to the travel segment on radio this morning.

They also spoke to the Knysna tourism people.

YES, it is a most difficult decision to go ahead with the various festivals at this stage .... BUT, many families are dependant on the salaries derived from the tourism industry.

So it is all systems go for the various festivals - and hoping people come and spend money to kick start the economy in the area.

If ever they needed the business it is now.

Yes, it will be a struggle to put on the events given the current situation on the ground, but the first hand eye witness account of all the tourists coming to the affected area will carry such enormous impact on how the country rallies behind the Knysna communities for the foreseeable future! 

Kudos to the families and residents involved in standing back up given the setbacks to host this again!

• 3 weeks later...

Knysna oyster fest this coming weekend.

I will be doing the 115km road race on Sunday.

Who else is still going down for the oyster fest race/s?

Still fighting the after effects of a bad cold but will hopefully be fine to do the 50 mtb and 115 road.

Might downgrade the road to the 50km depending on how it goes on Saturday.

Whatever happens I do not plan to use my right elbow for "balancing"  purposes during either of the races     :mellow: