Showering after an "out-of-town" Sunday race

Chatman

Depends where you are going after the race...straight home then will stay dirty. If going somewhere, hand cloth, water in a bottle and plenty of deodrant

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap camp shower bladder thingy. Leave in your car on the dash to get warm. They work a treat!!!

Absolutely!! Inexpensive and works well, all you need is a tree to hang it or you can hang it from your boot or bakkie canopy.

Most towns have Virgin Actives, so if you have the memberships which gives you acess to all clubs across the country (R400/month if on Vitality), then you can just pop in there. Of course this is not at all races, but I have either done this or there have been showers at race facility - maybe I just got lucky so far!

Yoh... I am obviously a very different breed of human to you guys.

I have never ever done an out of town race (or any race) and thought 'I MUST shower'...

Wet and muddy or hot and dusty the same routine applies.

Big towel over the seat. Old rag to wipe the excess. Yesterdays T-shirt and some old shorts/tracksuit pants to drive in and a quick hoover after I shower when I get home...

I did just go a little over 4 days of non stop racing without showering so perhaps I am slightly  more ok with being dirty...... 

Family got into the car after my last out of town race - noses were wrinkled in disgust. They were nice enough to inhibit the retch and gag reflex.

I have never ever done an out of town race (or any race) and thought 'I MUST shower'...

Big towel over the seat. Old rag to wipe the excess. Yesterdays T-shirt and some old shorts/tracksuit pants to drive in and a quick hoover after I shower when I get home...

I did just go a little over 4 days of non stop racing without showering so perhaps I am slightly  more ok with being dirty...... 

I also don't have an issue with not showering after a race if I go straight home. But, if I do an out of town race and I drag my wife out of bed at 4 in the morning to get there I do try and make a day out of it after the race - some lunch somewhere or something nice you can do only in that town, etc - then it is nice to be fresh for the rest of the day.

A small 750ml hand spray bottle and a towel works wonders for me. Lives in the boot of my car for weekly rides. Quite amazing how many 'showers' one can get from a small bottle. 

Giba Gorge outside Durban has showers. Clean showers, nice showers. Excellent bike washing facilities as well. Not to mention that they have a bike shop that is open on Sundays. And some of the nicest trails around.

More and more trails are offering showers, however, most races still don’t offer them to riders. If the economies of scale don’t make sense to rent mobile showers, perhaps employ some additional staff and invest in some extra materials to ensure existing facilities can be used. Hotels and local accommodation services need to realise cyclists need to eat breakfast before the usual 8:00am opening time and that a 10:00am check-out time means we can’t come back to shower.

Below is a recap of some of the comments above…some great ideas!!! 

Going to a nearby gym or using a campsite’s ablution seems like the most ideal option (besides a late check-out and if there is one nearby). Even if you must pay the full price to enter a gym it’s still a lot cheaper than booking an additional night… Going to nearby B&B/Backpackers/Guesthouse will probably work too if you offer to pay.

Washing under a tap works – if you are prepared. I used a quick drying camping towel, face cloth and a shopping bag with a fresh change of clothes in it. The effectiveness of this approach is directly linked to the cleanliness of the facilities used and the “activities” of the guy in the cubicle next to you. Finish off with some deodorant.

After this weekend’s race, I saw two guys using the same approach I used at OppiKoppi a few years ago. A big bottle or bucket of water, cloth and speed. The air was a bit cool so not many women were impressed. I suppose the more prepared you are the better. A real camper will have hot running water, privacy and a flushable toilet….in the hotel parking lot. A great tip is to leave the camping shower bladder on the dash so that the sun warms it up.

Local river? It’s cold. And you need to use biodegradable soap. But it could be fun washing up at one of the river crossings along the route. You can cheer other riders on while washing up.

• 3 weeks later...

For 360 days of the year you have to be human, and be clean, shower, sleep indoors, brush your teeth, not smell like sh!t, change clothes etc etc. But that one week in May/June you get to be an adventure racer, and it is the best week of the year!!!

Why bother - just change your shirt and drive home enjoying the smell and feel of the race you enjoyed so much! Besides there is a water shortage.