WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

When did club and provincial structures fall away?

And I don't mean just having a club, I mean like a club league?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

When SA became a republic back in the 1960's...well it feels like it anyway.

Would be interesting to know facts like these as well as when CSA was formed etc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did club and provincial structures fall away?

And I don't mean just having a club, I mean like a club league?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Since the advent of Strava...  :ph34r:

When SA became a republic back in the 1960's...well it feels like it anyway.

Would be interesting to know facts like these as well as when CSA was formed etc

He he.. I only ask because wouldn't that be a way to develop cycling and at the same time generate income.. club structure means clubs racing each other would have to be affiliated with the provincial body which would then have to be affiliated with the national body. Like with most other sports you pay an affiliation fee.

Think of it.. say you have inter club races.. but in order to enter a senior team you have to have a certain amount of kids in the team eg say u16 and u18's.

So now the senior riders want to do well so automatically they coach/ help the kids improve tactically etc... now those kids are getting coaching they perhaps never would've gotten before..and more people (adults and kids) are riding because without the club structure you can't have a provincial team. .without a provincial team you can't go to nationals.

Then during these inter club races, kids could he identified for provincial team.. and now that there is income coming those kids that are considered could have a few training camps etc to develop them further... just like the other sports.

I am just thinking out loud here.. don't know if it was ever done like that or if they tried but it didn't work.

Edited by Gen

He he.. I only ask because wouldn't that be a way to develop cycling and at the same time generate income.. club structure means clubs racing each other would have to be affiliated with the provincial body which would then have to be affiliated with the national body. Like with most other sports you pay an affiliation fee.

Think of it.. say you have inter club races.. but in order to enter a senior team you have to have a certain amount of kids in the team eg say u16 and u18's.

So now the senior riders want to do well so automatically they coach/ help the kids improve tactically etc... now those kids are getting coaching they perhaps never would've gotten before..and more people (adults and kids) are riding because without the club structure you can't have a provincial team. .without a provincial team you can't go to nationals.

I am just thinking out loud here.. don't know if it was ever done like that or if they tried but it didn't work.

I thought that is how it works currently.  Club affiliate to provincial bodies who are affiliated to the national body.  Just not sure about the finances on how that works.  Personally I think the clubs have a hard time as they will be responsible for their own finances and not getting support from the top.  I always got the idea that the money only goes one way wrt affiliation fees.

I thought that is how it works currently. Club affiliate to provincial bodies who are affiliated to the national body. Just not sure about the finances on how that works. Personally I think the clubs have a hard time as they will be responsible for their own finances and not getting support from the top. I always got the idea that the money only goes one way wrt affiliation fees.

Well that's a problem if they aren't getting support from the top even if they are paying fees.

But are there inter club races?

RE clubs.

Been contemplating the whole sports club culture in SA, and specifically more recent SA where cities see huge traffic volumes, people traveling longer distances with slower moving traffic.

To take a 1980 year as comparison:

• Average distance from home to work has increased
  • Traffic congestion has dramatically increased
  • Work times are more "flexible" ...people working earlier or later hours and no regular 8-5 slots
  • Increase in sporting options
  • Shopping Malls open over weekends till late

So we get home later from work, can't make a club training session, or end up arriving late.

Numbers of people at practice are low, teams struggle to do proper drills.

People working over weekends reduce the numbers of people available to partake in a club sport.

People working stupid hours with the same effect as those above.

Now with the limited time at hand, you need to spend time with the family, and everyone in the family also have their own lives and interests to be catered for. Time becomes more of a luxury when it becomes available.

Have experienced the above, where you make sacrifices to attend club practice and a fair percentage of the club can not commit to the training structure and then just pitch up for matches, or sometimes not, I got frustrated and ended up rather cycling. At my selected time and convenience. Pretty sure I am not the only person who has experienced this and taken to an individual sport like cycling.

So a completely off topic blurb splurb off my chest, thanks.

Well that's a problem if they aren't getting support from the top even if they are paying fees.

But are there inter club races?

Not that I recall.  The provincial bodies have a meeting every now and then with representatives of all the clubs.  Clubs organise races but it is open to all normally and not inter club races.  Anybody can enter for provincials as long as you have a CSA license.  I do not recall that you have to be affiliated to a club as such.  Maybe some other hubbers can give better info but that is how I remember it.

RE clubs.

Been contemplating the whole sports club culture in SA, and specifically more recent SA where cities see huge traffic volumes, people traveling longer distances with slower moving traffic.

• Work times are more "flexible" ...people working earlier or later hours and no regular 8-5 slots

So we get home later from work, can't make a club training session, or end up arriving late.

People working over weekends reduce the numbers of people available to partake in a club sport.

Now with the limited time at hand, you need to spend time with the family, and everyone in the family also have their own lives and interests to be catered for. Time becomes more of a luxury when it becomes available.

Have experienced the above, where you make sacrifices to attend club practice and a fair percentage of the club can not commit to the training structure and then just pitch up for matches, or sometimes not, I got frustrated and ended up rather cycling. At my selected time and convenience. Pretty sure I am not the only person who has experienced this and taken to an individual sport like cycling.

That is the reality and to add to it.  Clubs normally need someone to sacrifice spare time to deal with the organisation and admin to get this on the go.  And as you say time is more limited.  So if I want to spend time on cycling I will rather be out riding my bike that spending it at a clubhouse or somewhere to try and organise an event of which most are ungreatful at the best of times.

RE clubs.

Yes it's difficult to juggle everything.

I started playing club hockey again because my son wanted to go play club hockey.. I was there waiting for him in any case so may as well play.

But yes cycling is a different kettle of fish.. you need safe roads for that and not an astro .. so maybe the answer lies in track cycling/crit racing then.. but there are so few tracks around and complicated getting an area for crit racing.. mall parking could be an option.. but they are always full of cars. ... all very complicated.

Still think club structure could aid the development of young riders.. there must be some sort of way to help the next generation.

Edited by Gen

So all this focuses on the impact of the tweets on their Client only, so I would assume the legal fee is being picked up by their Client and not CSA? They have never stated CSA as being their Client....or did I miss something?

Yes, 3 & 3.1

So the dealine came & gone, which was 2pm today, I guess GrootLem stood up to being strong armed here. #kudos

So all this focuses on the impact of the tweets on their Client only, so I would assume the legal fee is being picked up by their Client and not CSA? They have never stated CSA as being their Client....or did I miss something?

yikes seems as though i deleted the quotes by mistake on my previous post .

yikes seems as though i deleted the quotes by mistake on my previous post .

Grootlem directs his tweet to CSA not Mike Bradley. My guess would be CSA are picking up the bill on this

Grootlem directs his tweet to CSA not Mike Bradley. My guess would be CSA are picking up the bill on this

Exactly, it makes Mike's reaction even more laughable!

FEDERATION NEWS AND PRESS

Clarity on legal action taken by General Manager

June 30, 2017

Cycling South Africa has been informed of legal action taken by our General Manager against a member of the public relating to social media posts.

We hereby confirm that the staff member has acted in his personal capacity without the approval of Cycling South Africa and that Cycling South Africa is in no way connected to, or involved with this action.

The matter has been referred to the Board for consideration.

We would like to remind all that should there be any concerns relating to the organisation, to please direct these through our formal channels and we will gladly investigate.

Being able to fill the Treasurer position with an experienced Chartered Accountant and businessman in Robert Booth, our processes and controls will be further enhanced as well as our financial controls and corporate governance principles strengthened.