WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

they would have to deal with posts like this and many other similar ones which

are from obviously from people who have no idea and dont want to have an idea

what the sport of cycling really entails.

just one perspective - take a 'om die kerk' race or a unsanctioned 'funrace'

if there is a major 'incident' the first person the dept of sport will call

will be the Pres of CSA. why ? because in their eyes (dept of sport) CSA are

the custodians of the sport of cycling. so even if your so called weekend

warrior thinks he doesnt fall into a CSA category he does(in the eyes of the

dept of sport), CSA is responsible for all forms of organised cycling 'om

die kerk' and all.

Last year we took part in a number of funrides.

MOST did not have CSA tax.

I recall ONE were I put my entry money on the table to be told I needed more money to cover the CSA fee .....  Ironically this was THEE worst arranged event ever !! 100% of the field got lost after 3km and just  did their own circle ride from there .....

MANY of the local riders just headed back to Worcester.

If ever there was a "local ride" where riders could get hurt THIS was it !!  Coming down a STEEP hill, then around a blind bend, with cars approaching !!  NO marchalls !!!!  I missed that car by about 2m .... with a bunch of youngsters right behind me.  It could have ended VERY badly.

Paying money to CSA did NOTHING for our safety !!

In stark contrast every single "non-santioned" event I have attended was properly arranged, well marchelled, and safe.

Let's face facts - CSA payment means NOTHING for my safety in these weekend events !!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

die kerk' and all.

I'm curious about your statement...

Please elaborate...

die kerk' and all.

There is a "shift" button on your keyboard. Feel free to use it whenever you start a sentence. Not only when you think of someone like the Pres of CSA as a God.

die kerk' and all.

This is the typical kind of response I've gotten from CSA/TSA etc over the many years - you riders don't know what you want or how to run the sport - only us federations and associations know what you want and we're going to charge you to tell you what you want. A little like the ANC and VAT rate hikes...

Most riders in "kerk" races don't have a cooking clue who the CSA is. The first person they will call will be the hospital. They will probably call the CSA after their mates tell them they are insured by the CSA and can claim. But wait - are the insurance premiums up to date? Who knows because the CSA is bankrupt.

This is the typical kind of response I've gotten from CSA/TSA etc over the many years - you riders don't know what you want or how to run the sport - only us federations and associations know what you want and we're going to charge you to tell you what you want. A little like the ANC and VAT rate hikes...

Most riders in "kerk" races don't have a cooking clue who the CSA is. The first person they will call will be the hospital. They will probably call the CSA after their mates tell them they are insured by the CSA and can claim. But wait - are the insurance premiums up to date? Who knows because the CSA is bankrupt.

Only 12 hrs till Friday. 

die kerk' and all.

Pity when there is a cycling accident or hit and run the department of sport does not call the Pres of CSA, for that matter neither does CSA do anything, in fact PPA do a lot more. 

And it not only the current lot. CSA has always been a lame duck, I recall more than 10 years ago there was a huge cycling awareness ride after a number of incidents around the Lido loop including 2 cyclists killed. This was arranged by ordinary cyclists, PPA had representation, dept of sport/CSA - Nothing, not so much as an acknowledgement. 

Edited by scotty

Pro's = Sport = CSA

Sportives = Organisers.

CSA should stop making money out of Sportive riders and focus on the sport.  

I was not going to comment on this thread further but what about this equation?

Pro's + Sportives = CSA + Organizers

From a post I made in Cycling is the new Golf...:

"How ever controversial this may sound and I suppose it is one of many opinion - "The Pro" make any sport. They get the majority of TV coverage - that's great marketing for any sport. This then gets middle / lower rung amateur gin and beer drinkers into the sport. Mass participation sporting event naturally help - but again if "The Pro" don't participate in these event - they tend not to survive the test of time."

There is an argument that Organizers benefit from marketing of Pro's be it UCI (CSA RSA arm) with event like TDF / World champs / Cape Epic - these help the small event survive and in turn the small event may end up presenting the world in years to come with the next world champion. This champion may need funding opportunities from CSA in RSA - why should this new cyclist who started at a small event not have a little support / follow thru from these small event? The small event partially "committed the crime" of getting this new cyclist into cycling - that is said tongue and check!

Cycling offer the world some great "free entertainment" by the Pro's - just remember the crowd funding model of those who watched World champs in Norway last year when it was made public that "cycling / the city" could not afford to do this for free. Is it not nice just to give back sometimes (one probably got the rewards already - without realizing it)?

Seems you have some horse in the race.......

The problem is not that CSA has the authority to rule the Om die Kerk ****.

The problem is that if something did happen like in your scenario,  the Department of Sport phoning CSA will have NO *()$#*$ RESULT WHATSOEVER because CSA probably will not have paid the insurance for the event (past history) or CSA will just not respond at all (as they currently do)

Point in case, a LOT of "incident" happened over the past weekend's R4S.

And CSA was there.

If they were NOT there, the same incidents would have taken place with exactly the same results.

Like in first world countries in Europe and America, the Om-die-kerk races should be run by organisers and the SPORT should be run by the governing bodies.  

Pro's = Sport = CSA

Sportives = Organisers.

CSA should stop making money out of Sportive riders and focus on the sport.

no horse at all - but does the Argus donate funds to the sport of cycling -

if you think cycling in the capital of funraces is thriving think again.

if it wasn't for the local district of CSA - road racing in Cape Town would

be dead and buried.

[quote name="Eldron" post="3275656" timestamp="1519293777

Most riders in "kerk" races don't have a cooking clue who the CSA is.

say no more,another cyclist who just sits on his brains (oops i mean hands)

[quote name="Eldron" post="3275656" timestamp="1519293777

Most riders in "kerk" races don't have a cooking clue who the CSA is.

say no more,another cyclist who just sits on his brains (oops i mean hands)

Maybe if you take your head out of the sand and look up you'll see my point sailing way over your head.

The Hollard insurance is only active while competing at csa sanctioned events so the Bazaar fun ride wont have cover. The Hollard default was rectified in May last year already and has been up to date since then.

The Hollard insurance is only active while competing at csa sanctioned events so the Bazaar fun ride wont have cover. The Hollard default was rectified in May last year already and has been up to date since then.

The Bazaar will be covered.  Becuase CSA has a finger in that pie too.  They don't want to loose money.

As for the "rectified"

Thanks for informing the cycling members of the organisation.  It would have been good to know info like that.

The fact is still that the CSA committed fraud in selling insurance they knew that would not be covered, because they used the money to pay salaries.

The Bazaar will be covered.  Becuase CSA has a finger in that pie too.  They don't want to loose money.

Only if the bazaar sanctioned their race with CSA. If not, then no, they will not be covered unless they took out their own insurance for the event.

Edited by sias