WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Mmmm

As a conductor, you have to turn your back to the audience and lead the ocharstra

"Newman said he decided to resign after the council showed a “lack of appreciation” for his efforts in remedying the organisation’s current situation

Wonder whom is referring to as "council"? or the Hub?

William Newman quit as Cycling SA president due to ‘lack of appreciation for his efforts’

FEBRUARY 20, 2018 ,  4:02 PM  BY IN THE BUNCH STAFF REPORTER
Share this:

William Newman, who tendered his resignation as president of Cycling South Africa at the organisation’s National Council meeting in Johannesburg on Saturday, has explained why he opted to step down.

Newman said he decided to resign after the council showed a “lack of appreciation” for his efforts in remedying the organisation’s current situation.

“Our current financial situation has not been pleasant and our membership rightly demanded answers and a resolution,” Newman said in a statement.

“Due to my efforts I managed to bring about substantial relief, in excess of R1-million, through sponsorship procurement and a negotiated payment settlement plan with the UCI.”

William-Newman.jpg?resize=800%2C533&ssl=

William Newman. former president of Cycling South Africa. Photo: Cycling South Africa

However, he realised in the meeting that taking responsibility for the situation, his efforts to bring about stability and the substantial relief he achieved were “not enough for our council members”.

“The mood in the meeting indicated that council members were demanding more than this. It was very evident that my efforts were not appreciated.

“Being the experienced, astute leader that I am I sensed they wanted change.”

Newman then granted the council their “wish” and stepped down. “This was done in a very respectful and dignified manner,” he said.

Newman first became aware of the severity of the organisation’s financial challenges in April last year.

“I amplified my efforts to remedy the situation. It was important to restore the tarnished image of our organisation and to this end, and at personal cost (subsequently reimbursed), I travelled for meetings with key creditors and stakeholders.

“I had meetings with company directors and national and international sports leaders. We worked out a plan to address the situation.

“At the same time, drastic austerity measures were introduced in the organisation. Shortcomings in the organisational structure were identified and plans were put in place to address these.

“A 16-point action plan was developed with tasks allocated amongst the staff, executive and management committee members.”

Newman further added, “With 40 years of experience as a rider and an administrator and having been thrust into admin positions from an early age, I am confident in my ability.

“My principles of integrity, respect, professionalism and leading by example while advocating good corporate governance are unquestionable.

“I am very proud of what I have achieved in my cycling career, on the sporting front and as an administrator – and the majority of the time during very trying times.

“I am fully committed to serving the sport and improving the lot of our riders. There is still a lot to be done.”

Outside of Cycling SA, Newman serves as a Sascoc High Performance Commission member, management committee member of the Confederation of African Cycling, president of the Confederation of African Cycling Track Commission and as a member of the UCI Track Commission.

“As was the case with my position as president of Cycling SA, I will continue to serve in those positions to the best of my ability where my efforts are recognised and appreciated.

“I am very proud of my contribution to cycling in South Africa and Africa and I am extremely proud of what I have achieved. I will continue to serve the sport I love.

“I wish Cycling South Africa all the best for the future,” he added.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm

As a conductor, you have to turn your back to the audience and lead the ocharstra

"Newman said he decided to resign after the council showed a “lack of appreciation” for his efforts in remedying the organisation’s current situation

Wonder whom is referring to as "council"? or the Hub?

Agree on point 1

Point 2 - there is an internal "council" of members that represent the different provinces....

William Newman quit as Cycling SA president due to ‘lack of appreciation for his efforts’

FEBRUARY 20, 2018 ,  4:02 PM  BY IN THE BUNCH STAFF REPORTER
Share this:

William Newman, who tendered his resignation as president of Cycling South Africa at the organisation’s National Council meeting in Johannesburg on Saturday, has explained why he opted to step down.

Newman said he decided to resign after the council showed a “lack of appreciation” for his efforts in remedying the organisation’s current situation.

“Our current financial situation has not been pleasant and our membership rightly demanded answers and a resolution,” Newman said in a statement.

“Due to my efforts I managed to bring about substantial relief, in excess of R1-million, through sponsorship procurement and a negotiated payment settlement plan with the UCI.”

William-Newman.jpg?resize=800%2C533&ssl=

William Newman. former president of Cycling South Africa. Photo: Cycling South Africa

However, he realised in the meeting that taking responsibility for the situation, his efforts to bring about stability and the substantial relief he achieved were “not enough for our council members”.

“The mood in the meeting indicated that council members were demanding more than this. It was very evident that my efforts were not appreciated.

“Being the experienced, astute leader that I am I sensed they wanted change.”

Newman then granted the council their “wish” and stepped down. “This was done in a very respectful and dignified manner,” he said.

Newman first became aware of the severity of the organisation’s financial challenges in April last year.

“I amplified my efforts to remedy the situation. It was important to restore the tarnished image of our organisation and to this end, and at personal cost (subsequently reimbursed), I travelled for meetings with key creditors and stakeholders.

“I had meetings with company directors and national and international sports leaders. We worked out a plan to address the situation.

“At the same time, drastic austerity measures were introduced in the organisation. Shortcomings in the organisational structure were identified and plans were put in place to address these.

“A 16-point action plan was developed with tasks allocated amongst the staff, executive and management committee members.”

Newman further added, “With 40 years of experience as a rider and an administrator and having been thrust into admin positions from an early age, I am confident in my ability.

“My principles of integrity, respect, professionalism and leading by example while advocating good corporate governance are unquestionable.

“I am very proud of what I have achieved in my cycling career, on the sporting front and as an administrator – and the majority of the time during very trying times.

“I am fully committed to serving the sport and improving the lot of our riders. There is still a lot to be done.”

Outside of Cycling SA, Newman serves as a Sascoc High Performance Commission member, management committee member of the Confederation of African Cycling, president of the Confederation of African Cycling Track Commission and as a member of the UCI Track Commission.

“As was the case with my position as president of Cycling SA, I will continue to serve in those positions to the best of my ability where my efforts are recognised and appreciated.

“I am very proud of my contribution to cycling in South Africa and Africa and I am extremely proud of what I have achieved. I will continue to serve the sport I love.

“I wish Cycling South Africa all the best for the future,” he added.

Mr Newman is a whiner it seems.

My standard response when somebody in the corporate world whines about how hard they work, but their performance doesn't match.

EFFORTS are APPRECIATED, but RESULTS count.

Edited by Underachiever

Agree on point 1

Point 2 - there is an internal "council" of members that represent the different provinces....

not only do they represent different provinces they also represent different disciplines & each want a piece of the "pie" for their respective discipline & province.

Ag shame poor Billy.

Poor UCI and African Federation (if that counts), Weil I guess it does count when it comes to votes, FIFA style.

What is the actual bottom line with CSA? Are they corrupt and badly led? Is there too much government interference and attempted cadre deployment? 

not only do they represent different provinces they also represent different disciplines & each want a piece of the "pie" for their respective discipline & province.

Please elaborate on this statement. It seems you have been in such a meeting or where part of this?

And as a full time job whoever they are.... surely as part of that job you would like to interact with cyclists?

With the Bikehub being the social platform that most cyclist can relate to, discuss current and potential problems and to which CSA are fully aware of..... I wonder why there is NO ONE FROM CSA on this forum to actually interact with cyclist who they are supposedly representing???

That in itself speaks volumes for me in that CSA representatives are only interested in themselves and not in the community they supposedly represent.

they would have to deal with posts like this and many other similar ones which

are from obviously from people who have no idea and dont want to have an idea

what the sport of cycling really entails.

just one perspective - take a 'om die kerk' race or a unsanctioned 'funrace'

if there is a major 'incident' the first person the dept of sport will call

will be the Pres of CSA. why ? because in their eyes (dept of sport) CSA are

the custodians of the sport of cycling. so even if your so called weekend

warrior thinks he doesnt fall into a CSA category he does(in the eyes of the

dept of sport), CSA is responsible for all forms of organised cycling 'om

die kerk' and all.

they would have to deal with posts like this and many other similar ones which

are from obviously from people who have no idea and dont want to have an idea

what the sport of cycling really entails.

just one perspective - take a 'om die kerk' race or a unsanctioned 'funrace'

if there is a major 'incident' the first person the dept of sport will call

will be the Pres of CSA. why ? because in their eyes (dept of sport) CSA are

the custodians of the sport of cycling. so even if your so called weekend

warrior thinks he doesnt fall into a CSA category he does(in the eyes of the

dept of sport), CSA is responsible for all forms of organised cycling 'om

die kerk' and all.

Seems you have some horse in the race.......

The problem is not that CSA has the authority to rule the Om die Kerk ****.

The problem is that if something did happen like in your scenario,  the Department of Sport phoning CSA will have NO *()$#*$ RESULT WHATSOEVER because CSA probably will not have paid the insurance for the event (past history) or CSA will just not respond at all (as they currently do)

Point in case, a LOT of "incident" happened over the past weekend's R4S.

And CSA was there.

If they were NOT there, the same incidents would have taken place with exactly the same results.

Like in first world countries in Europe and America, the Om-die-kerk races should be run by organisers and the SPORT should be run by the governing bodies.  

Pro's = Sport = CSA

Sportives = Organisers.

CSA should stop making money out of Sportive riders and focus on the sport.