WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

So here is a question - Frosty touched on it - what would the majority of cyclists actually want the CSA to do?

Cut, cut, cut...

Interesting suggestion.  We just had the Ride for Sight yesterday.  The majority of cyclists I saw were all fun riders - not the racing snake type fun rider, but the slower crowd.  The real weekend warriors.

I would guess all they want is a safe, good value for money race, with an easy registration process.  Easy to get to the race venue, safe parking, easy to get out. Perhaps a medal, a cold coke after the race, perhaps a social club environment?

The rest they probably don't care about.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're missing the point. It's just a sad state of affairs that it has come to a point where the riders have to pay for their own jerseys.

I'm well versed in the sad state that is CSA's financial affairs... but not sure why we need to keep beating this drum about things they can't pay for... maybe we should write up a massive long list and just get it out of the way  :w00t:

There's an awful lot of stuff you can't pay for when you don't have money... 

I'm well versed in the sad state that is CSA's financial affairs... but not sure why we need to keep beating this drum about things they can't pay for... maybe we should write up a massive long list and just get it out of the way  :w00t:

There's an awful lot of stuff you can't pay for when you don't have money... 

Perhaps. But the fact that they're willing to pay guys half a million or million per year, and then plead poverty so that the national champs have to buy their own jerseys stinks to high heaven.

Perhaps. But the fact that they're willing to pay guys half a million or million per year, and then plead poverty so that the national champs have to buy their own jerseys stinks to high heaven.

If this is true then it all needs to come out... but where do you get these figures from?

Who decides the salaries? Are they market related etc

Transparency is probably most peoples biggest issue with CSA - hopefully there is going to be some clarity in that regard heading forward. 

Interesting suggestion.  We just had the Ride for Sight yesterday.  The majority of cyclists I saw were all fun riders - not the racing snake type fun rider, but the slower crowd.  The real weekend warriors.

I would guess all they want is a safe, good value for money race, with an easy registration process.  Easy to get to the race venue, safe parking, easy to get out. Perhaps a medal, a cold coke after the race, perhaps a social club environment?

The rest they probably don't care about.

I agree 100% the majority of those guys wouldn't even know that CSA exists nor that to hold the event they are at the organizer has to pay affiliation fees to the CSA...

In my mind you have separate racing cats like Spinnekop suggests and let the average joe (like myself) just enjoy the event without the admin of having to have a license etc.

I feel that the people who have passion for cycling and not try make money from CSA. Cut their salary, rather as hobby.

- Show us what did they spent per year.

- Show us who sponsored CSA.

- Show us where did they get money from.

- Select good riders for Games, etc.

- Bring back Giro race, Rapport Tour etc

- Go out and contact companies to bring sponsors

Personally I do not have an issue with a person earning a market related salary as long as that person is adding more value than they are costing CSA.

A well paid and exceptional person steering the CSA ship will do far better than calling in the ships cook to steer the vessel ... if you get my drift.

I feel that the people who have passion for cycling and not try make money from CSA. Cut their salary, rather as hobby.

- Show us what did they spent per year.

- Show us who sponsored CSA.

- Show us where did they get money from.

- Select good riders for Games, etc.

- Bring back Giro race, Rapport Tour etc

- Go out and contact companies to bring sponsors

Running the CSA is a full time job. To get a competent person in charge, you need to pay a market related salary.

It cannot be run as a hobby, it is way too big.

Running the CSA is a full time job. To get a competent person in charge, you need to pay a market related salary.

I agree, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for...

Not to muddy the argument but I feel the same apply to people criticizing PPA spending lots of money on salaries 

And as a full time job whoever they are.... surely as part of that job you would like to interact with cyclists?

With the Bikehub being the social platform that most cyclist can relate to, discuss current and potential problems and to which CSA are fully aware of..... I wonder why there is NO ONE FROM CSA on this forum to actually interact with cyclist who they are supposedly representing???

That in itself speaks volumes for me in that CSA representatives are only interested in themselves and not in the community they supposedly represent.

Plenty models around the world who are run successfully can be copied.

to get a main sponsor behind CSA surely can not be difficult with the amount of events every weekend and the exposure available. We see this at every event we attend in the UK with British Cycling, even though the HSBC is only the sponsor of British Cycling both the event sponsor and HSBC get exposure

Only for the top structure. The rest - exco, province, regional etc. - do it voluntarily, even paying for the convention and AGM from their own pockets...