Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

I can actually explain this.

Remember your time only starts when yout chip crosses the line and finishes again when it crosses.

Now I started Macsteel right at the back of the bunch. So the guys in front of the bunch had already been cycling for 20-30 seconds by the time I crossed the line. In the sprint for the finish I was third across the Line. But because I started at the back in reality my cycling time was actually slightly less than the guy who was just ahead of me so I was placed second in the results for the batch.

You aren't being placed on who crosses the line first. But based on who has the shortest ride time. So of he started way back in the bunch while you were near the front. That means his actual ride time would be a bit lower than yours if you were close together at the line.

It works from batch start time (gun) to the time of crossing the mat at the finish line. The first mat, at the start, merely confirms that you started in that specific group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Why people want to do a second lap beats me anyway.Why not do it 3 times?4?

If you need to get some long kays under the belt ride to Zeerust and back

To help people?....they don't need help...they are meant to finish under their own steam.

Go for it.....

Why do it twice?

Lap 1 for ourselves, the second lap for fellow charity riders that need our encouragement along the way. Help doesn’t always mean pushing them the whole way - that defeats the purpose of doing the event.

These are the guys/gals that need to return next year, so by making it (seem) easier for them, they will enjoy it and do it again next year.

Lap 2 certainly is not for time - at least for the few I ride with.

BTW: I don’t think it’s possible to do 3 laps, as there won’t be sufficient time to get onto the M1 before the sweep vehicle. Cut off is 11:45, and to do 210km without stopping between laps, in 6.5 hours, is all but impossible for the majority (Elites could probably do it with back up.

To you charity double loopers: In what time did you guys ride the first lap?

And do you still need good seeding to be able to start in the DL batch?

IIRC, the requirement states a sub-3.5 hour time to qualify, plus be listed on a registered charity - a charity must have 20 riders to be registered. The batch technically has 3.5 hours to get back to the last group start time, after their lap 1 start.

FWIW, any other group from D-batch and earlier has to do a sub-3 to allow sufficient time to refuel and get back to the start. Obviously anyone that starts before D, has more than 3 hours depending on their start time.

Lastly, it’s not compulsory to join the DL group, as one can ride Elite, Vets, tandem, who all start before DL, but still ride the second lap as part of the charity.

Great day out on the bike...First lap 2:30, second lap 3:35 (at a nice pace) with some tequila and beer stops along the way...

Edited by Craig8252

Mate and myself rode on BMX’s today, started out of D, any of you guys out there happen to see us? Ended on just under 4:30, far off our usual 2:40 race times, but we had an absolute blast out there!! And beers, we had lots of beers en route

I saw you guys just after the start and wondered who was more Looney Toons... you dudes or the guys riding those Qubekha buffalos.

So did you whip some Buffalo butt ...?? :)

To the supporters half way up cedar who assisted me with beer and tech support and the guy in the Glencore top who donated his tube, thanks a million!

After my 3rd puncture I was resigned to finding a ride home in the sweep vehicle. With everyone's assistance I managed to limp home though.

Note to self, take valve extenders next time! Riding 404's and running out of tubes can be very frustrating.

Andrew Machine Mclean did double lap in shade over 6 hours total.

He passed me about 1km before Cedar road, like I was looking for parking - and I was doing close to 38km/h if I check on Strava. When I turned onto Cedar, he was already out of sight on the steeper descent of Cedar road.

We did our pulling and it was tough, final time out was over 7hrs20mins with a total of 5h18m ride time. The stops killed me and my legs didn’t handle that too well but we made it. Our precious cargo got her medal, and a couple more from some of the pullers.

Thanks to the few that helped with a bit of pushing on the way, it all came at the right time. I’m sure we would have been quicker were it not for all he punctures the riders had.

But we got her home and she was chuffed.

Anyone who didn't is just being a d***.

You literally had to sign a form agreeing to that, and starting at the back of the pen...

attachicon.gifdouble.jpg

For the most part I found the double lappers more agreeable this year than in previous years. Not all of them though

Hi All,

I completed my first 94 in 6:06.

Have only been cycling for the last 2 months but have been spinning since the

Beginning of the year.

I was 134 kgs back in Jan and managed to cut my weight down to 109 by the time of the race. This time last year if anyone told me I would be doing this in 12 months time I would

Have laughed at them.

My Daughter challenged me to do it, and we rode together most of the way, and only when I was struggling up the last 4 ks did I tell her to go and I will catch her, as I needed to stop to catch my breath. Stern City is a killer, especially after I had crunched my way up Ceder without stopping.

My Daughter and I could have done at least a 5:30 but she suffered a rear tyre failure and in order to fix it took us around 30 minutes of added time.

I did the Tshwane Classic as part of my training along with at least 120 ks per week and did one long 100 k training ride a week before the 94.7.

I rode for a charity as I was told i could get an earlier start time, and was in DD.

My first impressions of this race are that it was well organized, tough but very social.

I got fed up with cyclists not getting into the right gearing on the climbs and on many occasions I had to bleed off speed in order to to cause a collision.

To the guy who decided to walk in the middle of the road through Steyn City, that was very inconsiderate to the other riders.

Will I be back, if you asked me after the race I would have said no, but here I am 2 days later already planning what I need to do to get an earlier start time.

Either I have lost my marbles or the bug has bitten....I think the latter.

See you all next year, and I will be looking for a sub 5.

Hey all,

This was my first time riding 94.7 properly, I have a history of mechanicals and sickness with this ride. I was shocked at the complete lack of bunches. I caught one bunch by Glenhove which disappeared at the Killarny bends water stop. I tried so hard to form bunches, told guys to jump on my wheel etc but know one seemed interested. I never had the earliest starting time but from Q i would have expected some team work. It was a TT all the way.

Is this normal for the 94.7? Ive done at least 10 races over my short riding time and done alot of club rides and cant understand this?

Anyways, the walk to the start and the gravel and sand at the start sucks but the organisation was brilliant. As for the router, after an 80km TT the last 10kms suck but are very rewarding. Is it my favorite race, no, but will I be back next year, damb straight, hopefully earlier, faster and with some bunches

Hi All,

I completed my first 94 in 6:06.

Have only been cycling for the last 2 months but have been spinning since the

Beginning of the year.

I was 134 kgs back in Jan and managed to cut my weight down to 109 by the time of the race. This time last year if anyone told me I would be doing this in 12 months time I would

Have laughed at them.

My Daughter challenged me to do it, and we rode together most of the way, and only when I was struggling up the last 4 ks did I tell her to go and I will catch her, as I needed to stop to catch my breath. Stern City is a killer, especially after I had crunched my way up Ceder without stopping.

My Daughter and I could have done at least a 5:30 but she suffered a rear tyre failure and in order to fix it took us around 30 minutes of added time.

I did the Tshwane Classic as part of my training along with at least 120 ks per week and did one long 100 k training ride a week before the 94.7.

I rode for a charity as I was told i could get an earlier start time, and was in DD.

My first impressions of this race are that it was well organized, tough but very social.

I got fed up with cyclists not getting into the right gearing on the climbs and on many occasions I had to bleed off speed in order to to cause a collision.

To the guy who decided to walk in the middle of the road through Steyn City, that was very inconsiderate to the other riders.

Will I be back, if you asked me after the race I would have said no, but here I am 2 days later already planning what I need to do to get an earlier start time.

Either I have lost my marbles or the bug has bitten....I think the latter.

See you all next year, and I will be looking for a sub 5.

Stan, you are a legend!

Well done.

Do Emperors and Satellite Classic next year to get comfortable with riding in bunches and to get your seeding up for an earlier start. If you can go down for it also enter the Amashova, best race IMHO, then you will see how hard the bug will bite!

Hey all,

This was my first time riding 94.7 properly, I have a history of mechanicals and sickness with this ride. I was shocked at the complete lack of bunches. I caught one bunch by Glenhove which disappeared at the Killarny bends water stop. I tried so hard to form bunches, told guys to jump on my wheel etc but know one seemed interested. I never had the earliest starting time but from Q i would have expected some team work. It was a TT all the way.

Is this normal for the 94.7? Ive done at least 10 races over my short riding time and done alot of club rides and cant understand this?

Anyways, the walk to the start and the gravel and sand at the start sucks but the organisation was brilliant. As for the router, after an 80km TT the last 10kms suck but are very rewarding. Is it my favorite race, no, but will I be back next year, damb straight, hopefully earlier, faster and with some bunches

It's a bit unrealistic to expect anything from Q I think...