Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

Two things I require mental preparation for at road race:

1. Boxes pushing in at the front of their starting groups. There are many charity groups that ride for mental awareness, they do amazing work assisting people with mental illnesses. When pushing in, ask yourself, will I seek help today for my illness/disorder. If you at any stage need to push in, your are riding in the wrong group! Your starting group is NN at 9:45am.

2. Beer tent prices! What is the going rate for organs on the black market these days. I need to make a plan as I would like to drink at least 2 beers.

Rant off

Racing through Joburg is awesome. I enjoy the race, and do acknowledge effort done by the organizers.

Oh ja, the people with the Tequila stand down Homestead, please do make a conservative afford of supplying them in sachets, some of us race and party hard at the same time. Our Lycra outfits and shaved legs makes us pro's. We require sustenance fast while achieving our PB's

That's why I am doing 2 laps - 1 lap is serious - 2nd is PARTYTIME!!!! :thumbup:  :clap:  :lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things I require mental preparation for at road race:

1. Boxes pushing in at the front of their starting groups. There are many charity groups that ride for mental awareness, they do amazing work assisting people with mental illnesses. When pushing in, ask yourself, will I seek help today for my illness/disorder. If you at any stage need to push in, your are riding in the wrong group! Your starting group is NN at 9:45am.

2. Beer tent prices! What is the going rate for organs on the black market these days. I need to make a plan as I would like to drink at least 2 beers.

Rant off

Racing through Joburg is awesome. I enjoy the race, and do acknowledge effort done by the organizers.

Oh ja, the people with the Tequila stand down Homestead, please do make a conservative afford of supplying them in sachets, some of us race and party hard at the same time. Our Lycra outfits and shaved legs makes us pro's. We require sustenance fast while achieving our PB's

On Point 1:

I am fully with you on this one.

People pushing in at the front of the group piss me off to the biggest degree. If you can't be there early enough to stand at the front then simply take your spot you end up with, don't piss the rest of us off with your selfishness.

At Tshwane Classic this past sunday there was a laatie there in yellow Road Cover kit, think his name is S. Lubbe. He wasn't early enough to get a position at the front of AM when the boards were held up and he then simply spent the entire time with the tandems in front of us untill they went off and he then simply waited for us to join him on the start line. Seriously, you thought nobody saw you the moment you placed yourself ahead of us?!

No surprise then also that this same laaitie did not want to work one bit during the opening 20kms and frequently dropped back to check something as he reached position 2 or 3 in the pace line. He attacked the bunch at the first real incline, thinking he would break away, obviously everyone was waiting for him so it didn't succeed. We are all in it for the fun and excercise, if you want to race tactics go get yourself a racing license and bleed through your eyeballs.

RANT OFF

Kiddies Ride tomorrow - how is traffic in the morning getting to the venue ? is it anything like the road race where I need to rock up 4 hours before the start?

Then you have a bit of a leg warmer climb after the jukskei on Main?

Put it in an easy gear an spin up the hill to the start area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiddies Ride tomorrow - how is traffic in the morning getting to the venue ? is it anything like the road race where I need to rock up 4 hours before the start?

No where near as bad. Should'nt take more than a few mins to get in.

Going to be a major dust fest though. With the heatwave that we have had these last few weeks, Riversands is like one big dust pile at the moment

There are 2 numbers in my lighties race pack for the kiddies ride(birds 2-3years). Must he wear both or is one for me to wear? On the race pack it says info emailed to me is available on the website. Haven't received any mail from them and can't find anything on the website. Didn't even receive a mail with a link to download his number. Just assumed it was the same as with the road race and luckily it was.

There are 2 numbers in my lighties race pack for the kiddies ride(birds 2-3years). Must he wear both or is one for me to wear? On the race pack it says info emailed to me is available on the website. Haven't received any mail from them and can't find anything on the website. Didn't even receive a mail with a link to download his number. Just assumed it was the same as with the road race and luckily it was.

1 for u, 1 for him. Pinned to the front of your shirt and his

If your goal is to push for a PR i think it would be a chance i would take because the batch starts spread quickly in that 30min. I am starting in 08h16 due to charity so you wont see the faster groups of the seeded batches. Im just gonna work with what is on the field

30 mins could be 15km distance, or more... so really up for you to decide. 

Thank you so much,

I reckon I will try my luck but if worst comes to worst, At least i will be in contention for a top 10 group position :D

Done it last year. If the route is the same, it is just over 26 km, with +- 320m climbing. If they are used to this sort of climbing, then no problem

Not technical at all, but there was a river ( stream ) crossing that might be challenging for an 11 year old. I am sure you will not let them do it alone, so can help them through it, if it is still there.

Also 2 water points, so plenty of time for them to recover, if needed.

Last couple of km's downhill, with a nice fast finish.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Had an awesome ride with the kids. Really nice route for them to cut their 25km teeth on.

They should re-consider the parking arrangements for the MTB event. Parking was horrible especially the "top" parking comming from William Nicol Drive to Riversands. Organisers need to think that 80% of all these riders brings the family with and to walk about 1KM to the venue a bit frustrating IMO. Saw a guy walking with krutches (he was disabled and not a guy who had an accident) all the way from the Top parking. There were more than enough parking space behind the hospitality area that could been used.

The road running past Riversands (think it is the R511) is now a gravel road and with the dust it will be another story, so guys using this road should expect some layers of dust on their road bikes.

Can i assume that my race nr is also my batch .Slightly confusing information on the info sheet .Is the E then my parking area ??? .Time is 6.22 am

Can i assume that my race nr is also my batch .Slightly confusing information on the info sheet .Is the E then my parking area ??? .Time is 6.22 am

E is your start chute area. Race number is your batch. 6:22am is B.

post-67394-0-96108500-1510560358_thumb.jpg

What is the recommended amount of time to be at your start chute prior to your start? I'm planning on riding to the start I just need to make sure I've got enough time! My start time is 7:29 and my start chute is E, if I'm there by 6:30 is that too early/late/just right?

1 complaint re impatient, rude mountain bike riders in a race.

If there is a bottle neck, please take your place at the back of the line and wait your turn to get through. The rest of us are waiting and believe me by the time the bottle neck happens, the podium positions have been taken.

Yesterday's 25km ride had 1 bottle neck at a slightly technical section. There were many children riding at the back so if you were late starting or had a technical which delayed you, I am sorry but please be patient.

Rant over. The rest of the ride was awesome.

They should re-consider the parking arrangements for the MTB event. Parking was horrible especially the "top" parking comming from William Nicol Drive to Riversands. Organisers need to think that 80% of all these riders brings the family with and to walk about 1KM to the venue a bit frustrating IMO. Saw a guy walking with krutches (he was disabled and not a guy who had an accident) all the way from the Top parking. There were more than enough parking space behind the hospitality area that could been used.

The road running past Riversands (think it is the R511) is now a gravel road and with the dust it will be another story, so guys using this road should expect some layers of dust on their road bikes.

I agree !! Parking was a mess - Follwed the instructions to park in the green zone and was re-directed to Summit College. When we rode down through the green parking there was still Hobos of space left. The parking above the hospitality sections was virtually empty.

Number collection on Sat was also Chaos. Mnandi road entrance closed, made you drive all the way round to Erling road entrance.

I think the well intended 15min split times between groups worked well to relieve congestion on the route, but they should start the race 1 hr earlier then. Groups that left after 8 am ended up doing the last 30 - 60 min in up to 42 deg heat. 

That 2nd last climb in Stein City looked like a war zone.

Archived