Am I Doing It Wrong? - Bike Cleaning

Andrew_Smith

Never ever use Sunlight Liquid on a bike, too many chemicals that are not compatible with bike components. Rather use a proper water based de-greaser.

It's only not compatible if you don't clean it properly or re-lube it afterwards. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, you guys are hardcore!!

my bike gets rinsed with the hose pipe, and only if its kinda really dirty.

It gets washed by me, maybe twice a year, or it is the LBS that does the wash when they fix bits and bobs or service said bits and bobs.

spend more time drinking wine and riding bikes. Sometimes at the same time.

But my word, an hour and a half every 70km or after every race. That is like a bike wash every two days during the week and twice on a weekend. Nee donnner, life is to short.

metal cant stretch :nuke: :nuke: :whistling:

maybe links get a wee bit loose, but nothing to serious

Don't come with your technical nonsense man, all this .75 kinda stuff. If the chain can bend in a full circle horizontally, then it's klaar. Not before. 

Just checked out that Shelbroco chain cleaning process. This must be a spoof surely?

Anybody do that around here? Please let me know when I can send you my chain for a thorough clean. Thanx in advance.  :whistling:

Oops. spoof. Was so shocked I didn't scroll down.  :clap:

Edited by Pah Bear

Just checked out that Shelbroco chain cleaning process. This must be a spoof surely?

Anybody do that around here? Please let me know when I can send you my chain for a thorough clean. Thanx in advance. :whistling:

Yes its a joke. Even says that on the page.

Enemy #1 for a bicycle is an over zealous cleaner.

The less often water and chemicals the better.

No good for bearings and seals.

What is dry lube?

Chains don't stretch they wear - keep them clean.

Edited by porqui

Chain clean: remove and drop in bowl of washing powder (mixed with water). Leave for a few minutes, wipe off. Dry and lube well overnight before next ride. Best ever.

The rest is really only an aesthetic thing: clean if you like it clean. Careful with pressure cleaners anywhere near forks, shocks, headset, bb, bearings and pivots etc.

After a real muddy ride it would make sense to give it a hose off especially drive train. Muck build-up a problem notably when dried and caked.

In WC, as long as you stay within your 100l per day, you might need to sacrifice a shower for yourself. Or better, shower with your bike :clap: :whistling:

I already shower with my helmet and bib. My wife would split if I showered with my bike too.   :eek:

I do some form of washing after every ride. Note that:

a) I ride trail MTB exclusively and

b) I only ride over weekends

While it's not always this thorough, this is the general process:

When I get home, I add some clean water to a bucket with a cap of automotive shampoo and a dustpan brush, the type where 1/3 of the bristle is split to make the ends nice and fluffy. I rinse the bike to wash off most of the hectic mud first, then use the brush with the soapy water and give the whole bike a once over. Once it's reasonably clean, I rinse it again and dry it using a workshop blower. Then I go over the working bits with a quality teflon lubricant, and lube the chain with a spray-type chain lube, working it in with a dedicated drivetrain lubricant paintbrush to ensure that all the excess is distributed and there's no droplets anywhere.

It may seem excessive, but I find it relaxing and do not believe that it can harm my bike in any way. It's nothing compared to my cleaning ritual for my Harley. That can take a whole day :D

Disclaimer for all the WC water warriors: I employ various practices to obtain relatively clean grey water from my household so that I can follow the above regimen in a careless and guilt-free fashion, using water that would have otherwise ended up in that grey-brown stream pumping out into the bay at several thousand liters per second, every day.

One day when our children tell their children that we used to use fresh drinking water to flush the toilet and then throw that water away they are going to stare in disbelief. "What the f$55#" will be their response.

Disclaimer for all the WC water warriors: I employ various practices to obtain relatively clean grey water from my household so that I can follow the above regimen in a careless and guilt-free fashion, using water that would have otherwise ended up in that grey-brown stream pumping out into the bay at several thousand liters per second, every day.

It may seem excessive, but I find it relaxing and do not believe that it can harm my bike in any way. It's nothing compared to my cleaning ritual for my Harley. That can take a whole day :D

Your priorities are very distorted.......... :whistling:

Never ever use Sunlight Liquid on a bike, too many chemicals that are not compatible with bike components. Rather use a proper water based de-greaser.

The only place a degreaser should go near is the drivetrain. Mud doesn't really require much more than warm water and a sponge to remove. Unless you enjoy replacing seals and bearings every 6 months.

One day when our children tell their children that we used to use fresh drinking water to flush the toilet and then throw that water away they are going to stare in disbelief. "What the f$55#" will be their response.

Well, that would be true if my sole purpose for employing water saving efforts was directed at the ability to wash my bike, which I assure is an incorrect assumption. It's merely one of the avenues I choose to direct my saved grey water at. The reality is that currently, many liters of clean water is falling from the sky as we speak (see "type"), and depending on how effectively you are collecting it, it alone opens a whole lot of doors in terms of being able to use water to do stuff that you would otherwise not be able to do under current circumstances, not to mention that which can be saved from showering, washing, etc.

Also, how often do you flush the toilet?! :D I'm at work all day. Bringing grey water in to fill the office cisterns is frowned upon.

Your priorities are very distorted.......... :whistling:

Like I said, it's not the case for every wash. And like I also said, I find it relaxing and enjoyable, much like anything else we may choose to keep ourselves busy with that have the same effect :)