[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one at the bottom of Smits? Happened on my wheel. Man, that sucked. Hate hearing that sound. Always have a pang of survivor's guilt. It really can happen to anyone...

Did it take a lot of the group down?

Those that it didn't take down got stuck behind the mess, watching Two Hands and his 6 buddies slipping away.

I reckon about 6 guys went down hard, and then the swerving started and there were cyclists and bikes everywhere!

So when do we get to talk about the biggest non-event of the CTCT?

The tar on Chappies.

I was expecting nothing short of absolute carnage, but imagine my surprise when I discovered the tar was like the tar on practically EVERY OTHER road in the Western Cape.

Such an anticlimax...

If you rode on the road between Rooi-Els and Betties, then the new surface on Chappies is peanuts.

At first I thought the rough surface would cause more resistance, but last night I saw that I got my PB on the Chappies descent, beating my 2016 time by 16 secs.

Edited by Moridin

Ha ha. We didn't use all our energy to bridge the gap. There was plenty more energy when we made the catch. We rode into the back of 1D at about Edinburgh Drive, and then managed to work our way to the front by the Blue Route. Then we pretty much played Pacman on the front with anyone who wanted to help out up front. But ask any 1D riders, we sure as hell weren't wheelsucking... In fact, I'd say we helped more than a few riders achieve a dream time.

There were about 6-8 riders in 1D who were damn strong and happy to push with us and keep the tempo, but Paris and I were on a mission and did most of the pacemaking. I think we dropped the bunch up Smits, Chappies and Suikers. We were caught again every time. We weren't trying to breakaway, just have a good day out. I think we caught the 1A bunch by the end.

The plan was just to be in front down Hospital Bend and also past Paradise Motors, where I've been caught out in the pro bunches a few times. Never crashed, mind you, but have witnessed carnage there. So we didn't want any of that. The real race is this weekend  :whistling:

Obviously, we abandoned the plan completely by the time we hit the Blue Route and the red mist descended. Stoked to see a few very capable riders alongside us and we kinda decided to keep on ripping to see what happened.

What a day, though. Easily one of the most fun days on a road bike. Still not quite mountain biking but you can't beat the Fun Ride World Champs to keep the skinny wheel stoke high.

That said, even one fatality at a race that is all about fun is too many. Three is just ghastly. RIP.

Jeez bud, I was on your wheel from the start for about a kay, looked back and saw the bunch in tatters and decided that I'll be better off in the bunch, or be  completely shattered by the time we get to Edinburgh drive.... you guys were YSTER!!!

Felt like Lance Froome after the TDF after getting  3:15 on Sunday (1 hour and 45 minuites faster than my first argus in 2016) and so rode out to top of chappies this morning and reached there just before dawn.

Felt fantastic.

Had my bubble burst a bit and thought impure thoughts about a Pure Savage bunch who sailed past me halfway up suikerbossie - chatting effortlessly amongst themselves. I think they did it on purpose to bring me back down to earth and keep my ego in check.

A pod of dolphins swam alongside on the descent into Camps Bay -- and I thought about the riders and marshall who left us on Sunday.

Not to be rude, but there are plenty of events throughout the year to improve your CTCT seeding. If you (or anyone, not directed specifically at you) are so serious about doing a fast CTCT, why not do the preparation properly? A fast CTCT is just as much about the build up as race day itself. Do more races, get fitter/ faster, get better bunch skills and get better seeding. There is no downside. Not doing this is pure laziness. I'm not saying everyone HAS to do this, but then don't come and act like a pro and ram everybody off the road come race day, because you want to do a sub 5. Then it is supposed to be a funride.

Sorry, I know I say "you" a lot, but this is a general comment. Not directed at you specifically.

i hear you, and I see you trying to not direct the comments at me specifically but I feel I need to answer.

Sorry if it’s been mentioned already, I’m not about to read through 100s more posts on my phone.

My point about achieving a good time from further back was more to highlight the fact that you’re stuck in the fun ride masses.

I’ve riden a good number of ctct where I’ve been in decent bunches until I’ve run out of steam.

I’ve also ridden many where ctct has been maybe the 2nd or 3rd race of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felt like Lance Froome after the TDF after getting  3:15 on Sunday (1 hour and 45 minuites faster than my first argus in 2016) and so rode out to top of chappies this morning and reached there just before dawn.

Felt fantastic.

Had my bubble burst a bit and thought impure thoughts about a Pure Savage bunch who sailed past me halfway up suikerbossie - chatting effortlessly amongst themselves. I think they did it on purpose to bring me back down to earth and keep my ego in check.

A pod of dolphins swam alongside on the descent into Camps Bay -- and I thought about the riders and marshall who left us on Sunday.

To be fair we were just seeing what was left in the legs, the answer not much. We crawled back to bootleggers after that :P

Also noticed them. In our start group, a guy on a fatbike was going for podium - from 4J. He literally pushed and shoved his way to the very front in the start shute, and then swerved his way through to Smitswinkel, where I thankfully lost him. This after several people pointing out that he was a danger to others...to be met by expletives and a patronising 'why don't you just enjoy the view'.

I'm pretty sure though that he didn't ride under his own number - I won't name any names, but 'Willem', nobody that have done more than 10 tours could possibly ride this badly?

On that note, is there a mechanism to report suspected cheats? I know this is a 'fun ride', but it irks me no end to see people get away with it... Came across two young ladies cycling sedately on the left just after cresting Smits - now they were wearing 7B and 6G numbers respectively. At that stage only a few of the faster 5 riders have passed us. I mean - we were about 2 hours in, and were passing two riders from a group that started 1 hour 27 minutes after us?

on the cheating. I also witnessed 2 guys swapping chips halfway up suikerbossie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear of all the good performances (and bragging rights ????) but lets not forget the masses of cyclists who with minimal training and starting late, having to endure the heat, pushed through to the finish for their own "personal victories". Well done!

Edited by Mikejk

Ha ha. We didn't use all our energy to bridge the gap. There was plenty more energy when we made the catch. We rode into the back of 1D at about Edinburgh Drive, and then managed to work our way to the front by the Blue Route. Then we pretty much played Pacman on the front with anyone who wanted to help out up front. But ask any 1D riders, we sure as hell weren't wheelsucking... In fact, I'd say we helped more than a few riders achieve a dream time.

There were about 6-8 riders in 1D who were damn strong and happy to push with us and keep the tempo, but Paris and I were on a mission and did most of the pacemaking. I think we dropped the bunch up Smits, Chappies and Suikers. We were caught again every time. We weren't trying to breakaway, just have a good day out. I think we caught the 1A bunch by the end.

The plan was just to be in front down Hospital Bend and also past Paradise Motors, where I've been caught out in the pro bunches a few times. Never crashed, mind you, but have witnessed carnage there. So we didn't want any of that. The real race is this weekend  :whistling:

Obviously, we abandoned the plan completely by the time we hit the Blue Route and the red mist descended. Stoked to see a few very capable riders alongside us and we kinda decided to keep on ripping to see what happened.

What a day, though. Easily one of the most fun days on a road bike. Still not quite mountain biking but you can't beat the Fun Ride World Champs to keep the skinny wheel stoke high.

That said, even one fatality at a race that is all about fun is too many. Three is just ghastly. RIP.

Tjom, you are living my dream! Go balls-to-the-wall to catch any rabbit ahead of you. Keep doing it for as long as you can!

Good luck with the fun starting this weekend.

If you rode on the road between Rooi-Els and Betties, then the new surface on Chappies is peanuts.

At first I thought the rough surface would cause more resistance, but last night I saw that I got my PB on the Chappies descent, beating my 2016 time by 16 secs.

Yup - that stretch, also the Agter Paarl stretch from Wellington to Klapmuts. Malmesbury to The Silos. SSW to Stellenbosch etc...

Exactly. I reckon that because there is less tar in contact with the tyre, Chappies is actually faster

So when do we get to talk about the biggest non-event of the CTCT?

The tar on Chappies.

I was expecting nothing short of absolute carnage, but imagine my surprise when I discovered the tar was like the tar on practically EVERY OTHER road in the Western Cape.

Such an anticlimax...

I have to disagree with you - for riding it is ok (lots of resistance) but you will know all about it if you came off and made contact with that surface - will cut you to ribbons.

Nice but get the boy some proper shoes and pedals man.

HaHa! My "boy" actually is just over 30 years old, but he has fairly recently adopted my loving of cycling. He has however hinted that it perhaps is time to get some decent shoes and pedals. When I gave him my old bike, it actually had some Shimano SPD R540 pedals on, but he said he wasn't feeling very confident about cycling with cycling shoes. We still have them and he probably will get proper cycling shoes in the not too distant future.

What a lekker day out on the road. Fantastic weather and incident free riding for me. Beat my sub 4 target by a good 20 minutes.

Such a lovely day marred by the news of three race-related deaths. Terrible news, RIP and condolences to the loved ones.

Good to hear of all the good performances (and bragging rights) but lets not forget the masses of cyclists who with minimal training and starting late, having to endure the heat, pushed through to the finish for their own "personal victories". Well done!

What heat?  :ph34r: