[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm yes, the levy was dropped and the price of water hiked significantly, way beyond what the levy would have cost us. And nobody is noticing or saying anything... We are truly idiots...

Is that not is call supply and demand pricing structure - works for business for many years. No different to an AVO costing say R20 in Dec and when in season only cost R4. If you cant afford an Avo at R20 don't buy it - likewise if you cannot afford water use way less or leave the city back to a place where there is water - kind of following on from my theme of the city infrastructure no been able to accommodate the number of people living in Cape Town.

Personally I do think the price structure of water should depend on how old your house is / or how long you lived in Cape Town - if 100 years old house should not be change more, if it is a 1 year old - pay the premium. Kind of what the medical insurance industry does to old people wanting to join a medical aid scheme late in life. But probably to complex to find a fair solution for all!

Time to book those back to back Med cruise for April and May - it maybe cheaper than buying water in Cape Town!

Edited by Icycling

Is that not is call supply and demand pricing structure - works for business for many years. No different to an AVO costing say R20 in Dec and when in season only cost R4. If you cant afford an Avo at R20 don't buy it - likewise if you cannot afford water use way less or leave the city back to a place where there is water - kind of following on from my theme of the city infrastructure no been able to accommodate the number of people living in Cape Town.

Personally I do think the price structure of water should depend on how old your house is / or how long you lived in Cape Town - if 100 years old house should not be change more, if it is a 1 year old - pay the premium. Kind of what the medical insurance industry does to old people wanting to join a medical aid scheme late in life. But probably to complex to find a fair solution for all!

Time to book those back to back Med cruise for April and May - it maybe cheaper than buying water in Cape Town!

Here is the table:

Consumption per month Current tariffs -New tariff

6 000 litres R28.44 R145.98

10 500 litres R109.50 R390.82

20 000 litres R361.06 R1 536.28

35 000 litres R1 050.04 R6 939.57

50 000 litres R2 888.81 R20 619.57

The average drought levy was supposed to be something like R75 per property on average

Guess which option almost got tannie Pat fired?

Edited by Skubarra

I know it will probably damage some pipes, but they going to get damaged when we run out of water any way... To extend day zero we should have full rolling shut off's of water, like 2 days off one day on.

I work in this industry and, crazy as it sounds, intermittent supply often increases demand. When the water is on people stockpile it in a panic, and when the water is off people will often accidentally leave a tap on. Honestly I've seen a number of case studies that show this. And then as you mentioned, the constant pressurising and de-pressurising of pipes really damages them, so you end up with higher levels of leakage - more water loss. 

But I think one "warning shot" of 24 hours without water would be a very useful reality check. A lot of people don't realise just how serious this is. 

Here is the table:

The average drought levy was supposed to be something like R75 per property on average

The problem come in when they start trying to charge you for the water you have harvested off your roof or filtered from well point etc.

Similar to when Eskom tries and charges you for installing solar system at home and Petrol SA tries to charge you for your electric car charged from the sun!

Problem for Gov is the end user makes plans and when Gov have sorted their S*$T out and worked out how they / Gov can keep up with demand - the end user are far fewer.

Here is the table:

I also have a problem on not having a flat rate if the City has installed a water restrictive meter at a property.

The city has installed these meter in the past months has at 3 of my rental properties and they are automatically set for 4 people per house. All these house have more that 4 - so application have been done to increase the amount of L for the house. If people have been force to work to the restrictive amount surely this should be done at a flat rate?

Once the water has been use in for the day the water meter stops water from flowing till about 04H00 the next morning - for those who wanted to know how these water meters work.

I also have a problem on not having a flat rate if the City has installed a water restrictive meter at a property.

The city has installed these meter in the past months has at 3 of my rental properties and they are automatically set for 4 people per house. All these house have more that 4 - so application have been done to increase the amount of L for the house. If people have been force to work to the restrictive amount surely this should be done at a flat rate?

Once the water has been use in for the day the water meter stops water from flowing till about 04H00 the next morning - for those who wanted to know how these water meters work.

call them up, you can apply for exemption

http://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Apply/Municipal-services/Water-and-sanitation/Apply-for-exemption-from-water-restrictions

edit : updated link

Edited by Meezo

Uhm yes, the levy was dropped and the price of water hiked significantly, way beyond what the levy would have cost us. And nobody is noticing or saying anything... We are truly idiots...

GOD!

Yes. Yes we are. Count me in on that.

Thanks for that. Also trying to get the info together for having them refund me R4000 per water restrictive meter - I have been told that they cannot pass the cost on as the meter is not on my property. Anyone know anything about this?

Next minute you will be expected to pay for the street light bulb that go outside your house. I would prefer them to remove the street lights personally.

Next minute you will be expected to pay for the street light bulb that go outside your house. I would prefer them to remove the street lights personally.

Erm. I've got bad news for you. You've been paying for that for years. If you have a prepaid meter you'll have a little line on the invoice called Aux. When I phoned the city of Cape Town the helpful lady told me that it was for streetlights.

What race? Surely you aren't all going to come to Cape Town and stand in ques to drink our water just so you can ride around the peninsula?

Cancel the race. Cancel Super Rugby, stop the brewery... We can survive without electricity. We cannot survive without water.

Hey Skubarra - do you have a link to the new tariffs?

Cheers