[Event] 100 Cycle Challenge

mecheng89

1. I do understand your frustration. We experience it as cyclist also on a daily basis by the "hate"we get from motorist, etc. You also decided to be on the committee of Germiston Wheelers and must have know that extra scrutiny would have come to your side in the event that any cyclist or passing through of an event you will be asked questions. 

2. the same can be said of cyclist also using the road and breaking the rules. Motorist is also up in arms about some cyclist behaving bad

I was not in the area to see what notices was up but also the same are for other races. But people knew about the race as it was widely advertised. As also said on previous comments the event is needed for cycling as a whole. You say Kakaranda, that's an personal feeling to the radio station but at least are they getting involved in cycling. 100Cycle, rock in the something at Redbarn that was in April, Kremetart cycling race that died out due to no sponsors last year. Rather look at the positives of the event. Then also just by the feedback from so many cyclist is that the event was great and that they will def be back next year if it goes ahead. Let's hope iyt does

Not a dig at this race only, but all sporting events that take part on the road.

I was always rather ignorant about how road closures are communicated to teh people in the affected areas until a few road running races took part in my area.

As someone that has zero interest in running I knew nothing of the closures until I got woken up at 6am on the morning of the race by police sirens.

Since I participate in cycling races that have road closures I was patient and understanding, but other residents in the area were furious.

I dropped the organisers an email but never ever received a reply. 

The same goes for this race, my parent's suburb was directly affected, and even though my dad cycles he knew nothing of the race.

So the question is, how are these closures communicated and is this communication as effective as the organisers think. Sometimes I think they do some half hearted communication just to tick a box to say they've done it.

If we want non cyclists and runners to be sympathetic to our need for road closures we need to work with them and communicate properly.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a dig at this race only, but all sporting events that take part on the road.

I was always rather ignorant about how road closures are communicated to teh people in the affected areas until a few road running races took part in my area.

As someone that has zero interest in running I knew nothing of the closures until I got woken up at 6am on the morning of the race by police sirens.

Since I participate in cycling races that have road closures I was patient and understanding, but other residents in the area were furious.

The same goes for this race, my parent's suburb was directly affected, and even though my dad cycles he knew nothing of the race.

So the question is, how are these closures communicated and is this communication as effective as the organisers think. Sometimes I think they do some half hearted communication just to tick a box to say they've done it.

If we want non cyclists and runners to be sympathetic to our need for road closures we need to work with them and communicate properly.

agree with you and def on the lacking of communication about the race. Then also did I see with races before where motorist and residents do not obey even if there is clear early notifications of the race, marshals, metro, etc. For me it still comes back to even if their is an event with proper notifications and public communication people will still not accept it as they are directly affected. One do need to also have a bit of patience but most people only worry about there own needs nowadays. 

agree with you and def on the lacking of communication about the race. Then also did I see with races before where motorist and residents do not obey even if there is clear early notifications of the race, marshals, metro, etc. For me it still comes back to even if their is an event with proper notifications and public communication people will still not accept it as they are directly affected. One do need to also have a bit of patience but most people only worry about there own needs nowadays. 

There was a running race the weekend through Boksburg which has also attracted negative complaints from residents, local newspaper had no mention of it. 2 weeks ago there was the Birchwood road race in Boksburg and now the Colgate. 

To be honest, people will moan, its the human way.

Just take a look on twitter and in the news papers after something like 947.

I can say that I did see boards on street lamps mentioning the road closures wherever we had closure on the route, but I dont know when they went up.

For all we know, a lot of effort could have been done already, but because people dont care until it influences them, it could have been ignored for weeks.

They did advertise that the race would start at Germiston Lake and have full road closure already from last year sometime, maybe someone could just have taken interest and have looked at it in that time and laid a complaint before the event took place? But its cycling, not Rugby, so ignore it until it becomes a problem.

Was hoping to hear about everyones experience with their race and how they done  :wacko:

I can say that I did not hear of a lot of incidents really. Most people were really happy, because they got PBs on this distance.

I liked the route and, being in the racing groups, the last 20 km was really challenging and made for tough racing, everything you want in a race. 

I was also glad to see how clean the city looked and the venue at the start/finish was super.

Looked like a lekker race, I am also considering doing it next year.

Was the last uphill drag on the N17 steep enough to split the bunches?

Looked like a lekker race, I am also considering doing it next year.

Was the last uphill drag on the N17 steep enough to split the bunches?

Will be doing it again next year yes.

Was steep enough to make damage yes.

Both VA and VB bunches were won with break aways and not bunch sprints.

Its not worth the effort even trying.

People will moan regardless.

you wont please everyone, but at least less people will moan if they have been informed about it

yip people will def moan always. Just think there is more to it than moaning

Oh....and Jakaranda can lower the speaker volume a couple of decibels at the entertainment venue.  Us old people battle with such volume.  Tunes was good though!

lol as dit musiek van die 80's is dan pomp dit of self lekker afrikaanse musiek. Is mos in die oos rand

Was hoping to hear about everyones experience with their race and how they done  :wacko:

I thought it was a pretty decent race for the most part. But for a first time event they definitely have some kinks to iron out. But I am sure they will learn.

Firstly CSA managed to screw up my entry. I entered as a licensed elite. When I got to race reg at Boksburg on sat they had me in batch GL. :wacko: :blink: They then tried to convince me without a shadow of a doubt I had entered for the grand fondo (non-pro) event. But thanks to the wonders of modern technology I had a copy of the confirmation email on my phone. Still how they got me in GL with my seeding even that fascinates me! Still they then tried to tell me that THEY MIGHT NOT be able to get me in with the Elites as the all the teams etc had been sorted weeks before etc. I simply stated that it wasn't my problem since I followed the correct steps. After a lengthy and rather irate phone call to them on the Sat evening I got to the race on Sunday and got squeezed in with the Team Cycle Power gents. At the end of the day I can give them kudos as they did at least manage to sort it out. Even if the guy at the end of my phone call got more than an ear full.

When it comes to race day. I got to sign the UCI board for the first time EVER. Got to say I was super amped about that! The connoisseurs car and the motorbikes took us down a wrong turn about 11kms in. The race was neutralized until we were back on track. Other than that I was expecting a full road closure? I dunno maybe I am wrong? But I never felt unsafe or at risk, except on the N3 section. Doing 65+km/h down the N3 the cones presented a hazard for the bunch. One gentleman promptly folded his Pinarello F8 in half riding over a cone. Held together by only a single Di2 cable his race was definitely over! When it came down to the wire in the final sprint up the hill and down the other side my legs were not quite in it. But got a second-wind as the team cars started swallowing me, and I fought hard to the top managing to catch about 10 or so riders that had left me behind at the bottom, just before I croossed the finish. I make my time around 2:17:40 for 105kms. My official time seems a bit off though at 2:18:29 which to me is a bit off. They also have the gap between Nolan Hoffman and the runner up at over a minute which seems very large as they were all together at the top of the hill. I crested the climb less than a minute behind Nolan so Racetec's times are a bit off.

Other than that a great ride. I had a good time. Glad I got to ride but I REALLY hope they iron out some of the more serious kinks for next years edition.

PS. I will also add that for R400 entry. The goodie bag? What goodie bag. It had some papers in it? What is up with that? Why are people getting so stingy with these things these days? R400 bucks is a hecking load of money for an event especially if you are a self funded cyclist. Surely they can do better than that. :thumbdown:

Edited by Alastair_S1D

Seems there are a few hubbers really against this race ??

It's their 1st time and they need to improve but for their 1st attempt it was bloody marvellous

From the comments there is nothing different from this race to any other.

1) Some people still don't know about the 94.7 and all the closed roads

2) Riders are placed in the incorrect bunchat every single race

3) Cones have caused many a crash at various races

One very big PLUS with this race is that there weren't any short distance riders causing chaos towards the finish.

Don't know if they had a short distance option.

It was great coming off the N17 without having short distance riders all over the place.

As for the goodie bag, there an entire thread about goodie bags.

For me the best thing about the goodie bag is the bag itself (pity it's white though)

Personally I'd pay the R400 again to do this race again (obviously next year it will be more).

Now if they just move the race 2 weeks before Shova  :ph34r:

PS. I will also add that for R400 entry. The goodie bag? What goodie bag. It had some papers in it? What is up with that? Why are people getting so stingy with these things these days? R400 bucks is a hecking load of money for an event especially if you are a self funded cyclist. Surely they can do better than that. :thumbdown:

You missed the bandanna inside the bag and a quality one at that. 

You missed the bandanna inside the bag and a quality one at that. 

I didn't get no banana. My GF ate it before I even got a look inside. :w00t: