Steel is real

CHRISMAESTER

Well...

The frame was purchased up here in jhb by a gent who owns a shop called cyclist workshop.

He is an awesome dude, and his pricing was brilliant.

His name is Josh.

Just tell him Big Chris referred you!

Hi OP nice build you have there. So as Jewbacca asked...the price? Maybe a website or contact details?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I thought the whole thing over again.

I am getting back into riding after 3 years, and I am overweight.

Going all gnarly and rigid is ill advised at this point.

But the frame will always leave the option open to me for later...!

Hi OP nice build you have there. So as Jewbacca asked...the price? Maybe a website or contact details?

Just look up cyclist workshop on facebook.

I don't want to post his details without his authority.

I still maintain unless you buying a Niner rdo fork a steel fork is better.

In fact just got myself a steel fork made I feel so strongly about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be some kind of masochist! I LOVE being a Ninerd but dear god their forks are hard. Too hard for me. They're about as flexible as Jehovas Winesses!

Oh and Chreeeeeeees: Ry hom pappie!!!!!!

You must be some kind of masochist! I LOVE being a Ninerd but dear god their forks are hard. Too hard for me. They're about as flexible as Jehovas Winesses!

Oh and Chreeeeeeees: Ry hom pappie!!!!!!

I do agree, their forks are hard, but I still think they offer the best carbon forks you can buy. 

But steel... 

I do agree, their forks are hard, but I still think they offer the best carbon forks you can buy.

But steel...

I'm too old/smart/soft/tired for rigid forks these days. I used to love them but daaaamn it's hard on the body trying to keep up with duallies on your rigid when the going gets technical and bumpy...

This is pics from just after the 1ste  build. 

If you fork has a good lock-out it is all you need.

That said, sometimes I like to make is a light as possible and currently have my Niner RDO fork on. 

Riding with an ENVE carbon bar. 

I do have a steel Salsa Fire Starter fork, use it on my Salsa gravel bike. Have not fit it to my Contraband yet.

But would not take the steel Salsa fork on single track. 

Running Maxxis 2.35 in  Wide Lightnings. 

Fork-swap is a 15-20 job. 

post-59281-0-02882900-1505975379_thumb.jpg

post-59281-0-81649100-1505975404_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

So my old Hansom all done up by Bogus. Frame is from 1992, was originally equipped with Campagnolo chorus 8 speed. Frame material is Reynolds 708 Classic, it is a strange tubeset, main tubes are 531 but instead of being lugged, the tubes are rifled on the inside.

The bike has been in storage since the late nineties, I took her out last year to use on the trainer and eventually decided I wanted to ride on the road again. The old 8 speed racing gears were a pig though, so I decided to go full shebang and respiratory and rebuild her with modern components.

I wanted to stick to the classic silver groupset look though, and the new Campagnolo Centaur silver groupset was the perfect match. For the wheels I chose Campagnolo Khamsin. The bars are the original Cinelli Criteriums with the Cinelli stem. Headset and seatpost are the original Campagnolo chorus.

I chose the classic late eighties Colnago red with white bands paint job, it is my favorite.

post-67452-0-00548500-1525707356_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Knersboy

• 4 weeks later...

post-52292-0-55306600-1527860413_thumb.jpeg

My steel Soma. Not a project at the moment, but may become one. I am thinking of going more the gravel bike style with it. Need to research components, pricing etc.

Then again, may leave it as is and just updrade the drive train.

• 1 year later...

this thread deserves more airtime...maybe members can start posting their steel pride(s)

Zini 531, this Zini is very compliant and can be ridden the whole day. The setup feels alive underneath you, full shimano 600 tricolor, dura-ace hubs laced to mavic rims.

post-16406-0-38560200-1589876819_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jakkals.

this thread deserves more airtime...maybe members can start posting their steel pride(s)

Zini 531, this Zini is very compliant and can be ridden the whole day. The setup feels alive underneath you, full shimano 600 tricolor, dura-ace hubs laced to mavic rims.

:)

My latest steel ride

post-5403-0-98781900-1589877123_thumb.jpeg