Getting bike quotes from shops - surprisingly difficult?

ALza

I have been looking around in JHB for a new road bike, for a few a weeks now, and either phoned, or visited a number of shops in the JHB area, I'm surprised by how difficult it is to get shops to quote on bikes.

I am not naming and shaming, but every store I have visited has taken down my details, yet apart from 2 stores, I haven't heard back from anyone.

Everyone talks about the poor service we get in SA, but surely if you want to sell bikes, you first need to quote the customer on some pricing? or are there enough people walking into bike stores and buying off the floor, that the work involved in phoning agents and getting prices for bikes that aren't on the floor, isn't worth the extra effort?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking around in JHB for a new road bike, for a few a weeks now, and either phoned, or visited a number of shops in the JHB area, I'm surprised by how difficult it is to get shops to quote on bikes.

I am not naming and shaming, but every store I have visited has taken down my details, yet apart from 2 stores, I haven't heard back from anyone.

Everyone talks about the poor service we get in SA, but surely if you want to sell bikes, you first need to quote the customer on some pricing? or are there enough people walking into bike stores and buying off the floor, that the work involved in phoning agents and getting prices for bikes that aren't on the floor, isn't worth the extra effort?

I have never had that experience but maybe that is because I don't "visit a number of shops" with no intention of spending money with all but one of them, yet demanding that they will all pull out the stops for me.

I have never had that experience but maybe that is because I don't "visit a number of shops" with no intention of spending money with all but one of them, yet demanding that they will all pull out the stops for me.

Let's assume you are new to cycling ... good chance you will be shopping around and seeing "what's what"

Takes me back to when I worked at a LBS a few life times ago. One guy (Shorts and t-shirt kind of guy) kept on coming in asking questions RE the bikes on the floor and other brands not on the floor ... told him what I knew and then also said he should go look at the other bikes. Long story short, he came back to the shop, bought the most expensive bike, thanked me for the service and noted he would be back ... helped him load the bike into a very expensive sports car ........ 

Moral of the story, every client is a client ... if you take down the clients details in order to come back with info or pricing, then do so......it's not like LBS's don't have other LBS's and on-line sales to compete with and can just be complacent.

So when you get the quote on mail do you forward it to the next store and ask them to better it?

So when you get the quote on mail do you forward it to the next store and ask them to better it?

Hopefully the answer is a big NO ... or at least with all the prices blacked out.

Everyone talks about the poor service we get in SA, but surely if you want to sell bikes, you first need to quote the customer on some pricing? or are there enough people walking into bike stores and buying off the floor, that the work involved in phoning agents and getting prices for bikes that aren't on the floor, isn't worth the extra effort

Welcome.... and brace yourself...

Some people on here have not had their morning coffee yet..

Do you have any idea of what you are looking for? In terms of brand / size /specs etc?

I can DM you the details of my LBS who has always given me excellent service if that might help..

I'm not trying to price shop the same brand and asking the guys to beat each other, I'm shopping across brands and finding the bike that fits me best. I'm also not getting the advice from them and then seeing what the cheapest online price is for the same bike.

If the shop gives me the service, I'll deal with them on the bike and spend the extra cash on shoes/cleats/peddles/helmets with them.

Welcome.... and brace yourself...

Some people on here have not had their morning coffee yet..

Do you have any idea of what you are looking for? In terms of brand / size /specs etc?

I can DM you the details of my LBS who has always given me excellent service if that might help..

Yep, that is apparent.

Having not ridden road bikes much, I have actually been relying on shops for some advice, apart from whatever investigations I'll do online.

The timing has been off, with a lot of shops seemingly inbetween their 2017 and 2018 stocks. So the shops haven't always been sure when they are getting their 2018s in, or at what price. Kind of difficult to buy, if the stores can't tell me when or home much the bike is going to be. 

I'm not trying to price shop the same brand and asking the guys to beat each other, I'm shopping across brands and finding the bike that fits me best. I'm also not getting the advice from them and then seeing what the cheapest online price is for the same bike.

If the shop gives me the service, I'll deal with them on the bike and spend the extra cash on shoes/cleats/peddles/helmets with them.

And if more than one shop gives you "the service, would you buy more than one bike and support both shops?

Yep, that is apparent.

Having not ridden road bikes much, I have actually been relying on shops for some advice, apart from whatever investigations I'll do online.

The timing has been off, with a lot of shops seemingly inbetween their 2017 and 2018 stocks. So the shops haven't always been sure when they are getting their 2018s in, or at what price. Kind of difficult to buy, if the stores can't tell me when or home much the bike is going to be. 

Budget, size, what type of riding would you like to do, is brand name important, are you going to race in CSA race categories?