Not above the Law

Mousea

The roadies that were cycling in KZN Merrivale area over the weekend.......

Your convoy of support vehicles is NOT above the law.

To block the road and hurl abuse at other LEGAL road users is not on.

I hope your back up vehicle suffered numerous flat tyres

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope your back up vehicle suffered numerous flat tyre

We came across 3 people on Vissershok road on Saturday riding 3 abreast.  They didn't even hear us come right up behind them.  We hooted so that they would let us pass.  The one guy put his hand up to apologise which was cool.  Then the other stupid idiot decided he would pull a zap at us.  For what, politely hooting to ask them to move over so that we could pass safely. 

The problem is people like this and your in your case really piss road users off and make them hate cyclists.

We came across 3 people on Vissershok road on Saturday riding 3 abreast.  They didn't even hear us come right up behind them.  We hooted so that they would let us pass.  The one guy put his hand up to apologise which was cool.  Then the other stupid idiot decided he would pull a zap at us.  For what, politely hooting to ask them to move over so that we could pass safely. 

The problem is people like this and your in your case really piss road users off and make them hate cyclists.

Does a polite hoot sound any different than an angry or annoyed hoot?

;)

;)

I often think the same, when I'm hooted at, for reasons I don't understand. Fair point though about riding X-abreast and responding in an unreasonable manner.

I ride with a mate, who is......temperamental, shall we say. It's interesting to see our response to a hooting car. He explodes, more than not, and I'm going 'sorry', before I even know what we did/didn't do. There's something very different about one's response to a hoot, whether you're in a car, or on a bike.   

;)

Definitely. In Kenya I was surprised that every single car gave a short hoot when approaching cyclists as a warning, before passing them safely.

In SA people just drive over you. And as you lie bleeding on the road, you see the bikes strapped to the 4x4 as it speeds off.

The polite one is done from a distance, and is a short barp

The annoyed one is done up close, and is long and drawn out and only stops when the vehicle has passed

Allied with what, if any, the driver's hand gestures are when he/she passes you? Sadly, I've seen the whole gamut from thumbs-up, to the middle digit, with the short barp...

Edited by Fat Boab

What are you angry about, the hurling of abuse? 

Why would they be hurling abuse at people passing, it just doesn't really make sense.

Why would they be hurling abuse at people passing, it just doesn't really make sense.

Aaaah! I think I know... They are confusing angry hoots with polite hoots.

No win situation.  There will never be peace.  On going all the time and then some ******** mucks it up for us with a zap sign.

What for,  I ask you.

Too much training "juice" is my guess.

Edited by Sepia

Pure Savage.

The back up team blocked the roads illegally to prevent motorists from driving as they had cyclists on the road. NOTE this was not a sanctioned event with road closures etc.

They then hurled verbal abuse at those drivers that tried to proceed LEGALY.

This is NOT on.

Were they actively blocking the road? As in when you tried to pass, they moved out to block you? Who was hurling the abuse? The support vehicle? The cyclists? 

And why the emphasis  on "LEGAL"? Do you feel someone wasn't legal on the road? Were they operating in an illegal manner? 

So many vague statements.

Aaaaah hooters - I learnt my lesson on those some years ago... I was riding along when someone hooted at me - I was young and hot headed and stupid and threw a few middle fingers until my mates wife drove past looking really confused. Apparently a "hello" hoot IS different to a "fark you" hoot!!

Aaaaah hooters - I learnt my lesson on those some years ago... I was riding along when someone hooted at me - I was young and hot headed and stupid and threw a few middle fingers until my mates wife drove past looking really confused. Apparently a "hello" hoot IS different to a "fark you" hoot!!

What, did she only look upon you as a friend? :ph34r: