Black Friday Deals 2017 - Post 'em

T-Bob

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Evo bikes and CRC are all in the mix early with specials in the week running up to the big day. 

An uncle of mine is a importer of stuff from China, one of his clients is Makro.

He says Black Friday is going to be significantly larger this year compared to last year. Those retailers that didn't do it last year lost out on massive revenues, so everybody is jumping on the badwagon.

But beware. One thing to look out for that the retailers are going to do is to take old idle stock (which they were going to have to write of any way) and push that as their Black Friday deals. For example if a newer model of a product is already launched and the previous model is still in the warehouses they will push that as their super deals.

So just be careful while doing you are doing your Black Friday shopping, there are good deals to be had, but you might end up with a 50inch "HD Ready" "dumb" TV when you actually wanted a 50inch Ultra HD "Smart" TV.

Or on a more relevant note, you might inadvertently buy a 10 speed group set in your haste instead of the 12 speed.

An uncle of mine is a importer of stuff from China, one of his clients is Makro.

He says Black Friday is going to be significantly larger this year compared to last year. Those retailers that didn't do it last year lost out on massive revenues, so everybody is jumping on the badwagon.

But beware. One thing to look out for that the retailers are going to do is to take old idle stock (which they were going to have to write of any way) and push that as their Black Friday deals. For example if a newer model of a product is already launched and the previous model is still in the warehouses they will push that as their super deals.

So just be careful while doing you are doing your Black Friday shopping, there are good deals to be had, but you might end up with a 50inch "HD Ready" "dumb" TV when you actually wanted a 50inch Ultra HD "Smart" TV.

Or on a more relevant note, you might inadvertently buy a 10 speed group set in your haste instead of the 12 speed.

Isn't that always the case?

Black Friday isn't really the same here with retailers marketing 10% off like it's a massive saving.

Asking for discount will usually get you 10% off. I reason with them that I can either swipe my debit card and get the discount or swipe my credit card and they can pay their ~5% transaction fees to the bank.

Or like the big bike shop, who's famous for increase the prices before the sale and then dropping them for black Friday. As to increasing the RRP rather than the actual price.

Case in point 12speed cassette was cheaper last week than it was now on sale, and black Friday it will be even cheaper! Wow

Black Friday isn't really the same here with retailers marketing 10% off like it's a massive saving.

Asking for discount will usually get you 10% off. I reason with them that I can either swipe my debit card and get the discount or swipe my credit card and they can pay their ~5% transaction fees to the bank.

One thing is sure, you need to know your pricing of what you are in the market for, you cannot trust the various 40% off slogans.

Personally I have been making a list since the middle of the year of stuff I need and want and their respective prices, thus when the real nice deals come along I know for sure whether there is a significant discount or not.

Use it, don't use it:

The Rand is relatively strong compared to the last month. Most people in finances anticipate that it will lose value as we approach the rating agencies decisions about a downgrade on Friday. 

So my thinking is to place that order that is sitting in my Wiggle basket now, before the Rand loses value and negates any additional savings you "might" get on actual Black Friday.

post-27827-0-78466600-1511247942_thumb.png

This is exactly how Black Friday started in the overseas anyway.  They cleared out all the dormant stock for the new Christmas stock coming in.

Or like the big bike shop, who's famous for increase the prices before the sale and then dropping them for black Friday. As to increasing the RRP rather than the actual price.

Case in point 12speed cassette was cheaper last week than it was now on sale, and black Friday it will be even cheaper! Wow

So true, last week the 11speed cassette i had an eye on was R900, now its R1200 yet the same item at other shops are still at the same price of R1095 . 

Have to know your prices nowadays unfortunately.