2017 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

LeoKnight

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got caught up in this, don't know how it initiated but a big bunch in the pissing rain and a lot of people went down. Brakes were worth **** at that point and thought I had done my best Sagan impression and got through and then a guy went down next to me, his head hit my right foot and that was wheels sideways. Spent about 10 minutes getting people to side of the road and sorted, looked like a few torn AC's and a broken wrist plus lots of roasties, then pulled myself towards myself, panel beat the brakes and carried on. Was a pretty grim 20km time trial in, didn't even pause at the race end, just kept going for a hot shower. Managed to get away with minor cuts and bruises, but suspect the morning is going to be painful.

I only have about 2 gels a year when I get things wrong, but they are pretty damn good for staving off adrenalin come downs :blink: Hope folks heal up well and no more serious damage.

Glad u safe and relatively unscathed .. looked nasty... Too much back brakes biting and fishtailing. Carbon wheels and braking not great in wet weather like this unless good quality. That's why I stick with the aluminum braking surface on my Cosmics. Got me through the tiniest gap on the left where someone went 4x4ing off road.. Was scary as all hell

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by mlayne

Hope the oke who came off right at the bottom of Hells as we turned right is ok?? Saw him on a stretcher in the ambulance... People slowing down to look and turning around to look also dont make life easy...

That being said, My result is not up, never got the sms... I crossed the line alone, never heard the "beep", So not sure why it never picked up..

So qu, Do I just send my Garmin file to racetec and ask them to upload?

Yes share it with Racetec on garmin connect or send. gpx had to do this after 99er when mine didn't register at end

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well that was interesting.

I've only done a handful of races and this certainly was unique for me. There was not a single dry spot on my body when crossing the finish line!

I've never seen so many riders stopping fixing flats in my life. Also so many crashes. I hope the guy that came down in front of me at the right turn to Franschhoek is ok. Hit his head and face hard on the tarmac. I think he was lights out.

Then there was the pothole lurking in a puddle in Klapmuts. Caught many a rider. I remember passing with a few guys fixing/inspecting bikes and jellybabies strewn across the road.

Another thing learnt: You can't sit slip in that much rain, or be prepared to swallow road spray. Yoh, those down hills peppering the naked eyes with rain droplets. Ouch. Glasses useless of course.

I was fortunate - didn't have to stop, and turned in a PB of three and a half.

Ps, anyone else have sore nipples today?

I've only done a handful of races and this certainly was unique for me. There was not a single dry spot on my body when crossing the finish line!

I've never seen so many riders stopping fixing flats in my life. Also so many crashes. I hope the guy that came down in front of me at the right turn to Franschhoek is ok. Hit his head and face hard on the tarmac. I think he was lights out.

Then there was the pothole lurking in a puddle in Klapmuts. Caught many a rider. I remember passing with a few guys fixing/inspecting bikes and jellybabies strewn across the road.

Another thing learnt: You can't sit slip in that much rain, or be prepared to swallow road spray. Yoh, those down hills peppering the naked eyes with rain droplets. Ouch. Glasses useless of course.

You are on your own on that one, sorry.  :ph34r:

I had my glasses on, but lowered it just a bit so that I could see over the frame. Took care of most of the spray.

Sorry on mobile, no link copy button thing.. but search "full gas racing" on facebook

can't find it, would really like to see the carnage!

Both nipples ripped to shreds!

Fully enjoyed it though and the big plus not having to stop for water eating slip stream spray!

Was my first Die Burger and will def be back!

This was my first road bike race ever, and the first time I did more than 60km on a bike. I was hesitant because my riding partner pulled out but made some friends on the road and had a great time. Clocked in at 3h36 having only finished one of my water bottles - the rest of my hydration needs were sorted by the water caught up in my beard.

I am very impressed by the organization and will be back next year for the sub-3.

can't find it, would really like to see the carnage!

Why on earth would you "really like to see the carnage"??

As someone involved in that "carnage", I find this rather distasteful.  Guys really hurt themselves out there.   No one would have chosen to crash, and actually, there was nothing anyone could do to avoid that crash. Perhaps you shouldn't use others' bad luck and accidents for your entertainment.

Why on earth would you "really like to see the carnage"??

As someone involved in that "carnage", I find this rather distasteful.  Guys really hurt themselves out there.   No one would have chosen to crash, and actually, there was nothing anyone could do to avoid that crash. Perhaps you shouldn't use others' bad luck and accidents for your entertainment.

Full gas kept the photos PG, so no blood and gore.   

I just don't understand who in their right mind did not ask the citi golf to move after the first guys went down from previous group..  I see they put a yellow jacket on the bicycle on the back of it before you guys came past, like that would have helped anything.

Edited by Karman de Lange

Full gas kept the photos PG, so no blood and gore.

I just don't understand who in their right mind did not ask the citi golf to move after the first guys went down from previous group.. I see they put a yellow jacket on the bicycle on the back of it before you guys came past, like that would have helped anything.

I think that car was parked there for a reason. In front of it is a water gutter. I think they tried to get people out of the yellow lane. It might not have been a problem in the dry, but in the rain it was filled with water and now one would see it.

post-5177-0-35185500-1512371782_thumb.jpg

Edited by Breezer

I think that car was parked there for a reason. In front of it is a water gutter. I think they tried to get people out of the yellow lane. It might not have been a problem in the dry, but in the rain it was filled with water and now one would see it.

Not sure, it was moved in later pictures.

post-28252-0-88700700-1512371976_thumb.jpg

Not sure, it was moved in later pictures.

attachicon.gif24255019_1331160676993780_5344318550136332046_o1.jpg

Actually looking through some of the other photos.  It seems like people (marshalls etc) underestimate the speed and lack of visibility in a pack.  

They probably thought cyclist can easily pass , but going 40-50km/h and no vis, if the front of the bunch don't communicate quickly, all just end in disaster.

post-28252-0-51680100-1512372577_thumb.jpg