"Residents" blocking the proposed Stellenberg trail..

(Deon)

Done

Greenbelt in Constantia.... I chatted to a guy on one ride who says he'd been walking his furry poop factories on the belts for almost 20 years.   Told me that whilst the odd cyclist was speeding through (definitely must be Spaz riders chasing Strava times? right?) the majority greeted him (ah, the point that got me a warning on this site a few weeks ago, haha) and he actually felt safer walking on afternoons as the cyclists had tended to (not intentionally, but a by product of their being allowed on greenbelts) chase away the undesirables and possible muggers.   Told me the first day he cursed the riders, but now loves them because he felt they positively added to the trails and security.

I cannot see why anyone would not want them on the trails???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will do Done!. You only have to look at the track at Southey Vines in Somerset West to see what a great idea it is. The park is still used by other users, and I have seen no conflict between them and riders. It is a safe place for kids to go ride.

This is the reason why I would really love this to happen is for my little sister. It is only based a few meters from our house making this the perfect playground to learn her the necessary skills before stepping it up to Bloemendal or so. 

Correct.

Prime land, just laying there barren. Gets used every now and then when some kind of "landloop" activity takes place. 

Rest of the time it's only people strolling around, or walking their poop factories.

A similar thing happened in our area.

The residents had the most idiotic reasons for opposing the idea. Noise and dust. In the end the cyclists and children lost.

Some old people can really be self centred and selfish.

I still want to know how a bicycle can cause more noise to the old age home than the cars riding past all day and the church having songs on a Sunday.

Is noise really such an issue for an old age home? My grandparents easily fell asleep in front of a TV at full volume.

In our case we had a town hall meeting. The anti-cyclists were like an angry mob and they completely shouted down the guy from the Wannabees.

So if you want to have a meeting, take some pepper spray.  :whistling:

Archived