Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure we're going to see CF racing any of the Grand Tours this year . . . .

Quite right ......

This year

????????

I havent read it before, but I found it pretty interesting. The author appears to be "skeptical" if nothing else.

I, however, found this bit very interesting.....

Finally, there is this issue of whether the above is all just semantics. Athletes, including cyclists, have been banned for exceeding the threshold in the past. Often with reduced bans, but there’s precedent. The upper limit exists for a reason. If if the effect on acute performance is debatable, there’s that masking agent issue. So it’s an adverse finding, no question.

Then snip snip..... and this.....

It’s hard to know what to make of it, other than to say it’s more of the same grey area, murky stuff, except this time it outright crosses the threshold. No more “up to the line, but not beyond”.

Sky are so far beyond any ethical line that we may as well not waste time even weighing up legal vs ethical. Ethical is clear-cut. Legal, now, maybe heading that way too. In the wrong direction.

prof Ross tucker is an excellent scientist and author. I feel he has an excellent way of presenting complicated topics to the untrained public.

Because of the polarised debates he has waded into he has grown in both coverage and detractors. A lot of the time it gets to opinion on the edge of scientific understanding, bit he's not scared to put his views out. He was at UCT sports science, but allegedly left due to disagreements with prof noakes and his extreme support on Banting.

He did an excellent series of articles on both Oscar and caster's unique eligibility issues in the past.

Ps. Yes I'm a fan of his work

i read this on a cycling site this a.m. (my own words)

so how did CF and the team's medical staff get it so wrong - his urine showed

double the limit , that means he had more than double in his system at some

or another. he was so sick that on the day he was tested and but he was still

able to perform against the best riders in the world.

Wiggens was so sick that the same team had to urgently drive medication

to the TdF from the UK , the same medication that can be bought over the

counter at any pharmacy in Europe without a script. he also performed his best

on that day he failed the test.

prof Ross tucker is an excellent scientist and author. I feel he has an excellent way of presenting complicated topics to the untrained public.

Because of the polarised debates he has waded into he has grown in both coverage and detractors. A lot of the time it gets to opinion on the edge of scientific understanding, bit he's not scared to put his views out. He was at UCT sports science, but allegedly left due to disagreements with prof noakes and his extreme support on Banting.

He did an excellent series of articles on both Oscar and caster's unique eligibility issues in the past.

He has done some great work.

The debate between him and Dr Jeroen and Ross on Chris Froome's test are great.

You should have a listen.

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/tag/ross-tucker

It was during these debates that I realised that Ross sometimes lets his emotions get in the way. He audibly sneers and scoffs at things, which to me is a offsides in the context of this podcast. I preferred Jeroen's more balanced approach rather than Ross' more aggressive one. He can come across a bit militant, and if know to shoot off 30 tweets in a row. 

I once asked him on twitter when will he look at the at the other teams like Astana, Katusha etc with the same scrutiny as SKY. He ranted off about 15 tweets asking me how dare I question his integrity.... 

But, he does like tackling some harder topics, his work on Caster... superb.

It was during these debates that I realised that Ross sometimes lets his emotions get in the way. He audibly sneers and scoffs at things, which to me is a offsides in the context of this podcast. I preferred Jeroen's more balanced approach rather than Ross' more aggressive one. He can come across a bit militant, and if know to shoot off 30 tweets in a row. 

I once asked him on twitter when will he look at the at the other teams like Astana, Katusha etc with the same scrutiny as SKY. He ranted off about 15 tweets asking me how dare I question his integrity.... 

I've read some of his blog posts and it was indeed interesting stuff, but I'd be cautious about calling it 'work'. (There's increasing pressure on academics to take part in public-engagement so maybe his blog satisfies that? If so, his Twitter rants regarding integrity is an....'area for personal growth').

As he's an academic, the outlet for 'real' work is peer-reviewed publications, where the opportunity for debate, healthy or otherwise, shouldn't involve sneers and scoffs. And for the record, I haven't looked at any of his publications...... 

Reading this I am just double disappointed in Chris/Sky. Should have taken the opportunity to show a good example and real leadership in the sport. "I was a nob/**** and took too much, I'll take my punishment like a man."

This weaseling around with rules and lawyers... Ag nee man.

His Vuelta, Tour, (Giro ...?) victories will only be remembered fondly in the stats books. He's tarnished in my mind, thought he was better than that. The Brits can have him. I'm adopting Frank Schleck as an African.

(Does he still ride?)

I'm not sure I would hold the Schleck's up as the beacons of clean cycling, but the fact that Frank took his punishment with without trying to bullsh!t us does make me respect him.

Talking of bullsh!t - PK (Paul Kimmage - the original PK and not this pharmacological nonsense) wrote this yesterday:

Paul Kimmage: The greatest ever or just another drug cheat? After all the bull****, why should we care?  

I'm not sure I would hold the Schleck's up as the beacons of clean cycling, but the fact that Frank took his punishment with without trying to bullsh!t us does make me respect him.

Talking of bullsh!t - PK (Paul Kimmage - the original PK and not this pharmacological nonsense) wrote this yesterday:

Paul Kimmage: The greatest ever or just another drug cheat? After all the bull****, why should we care?  

Is it just me, or does Paul K sound a bit over cycling?

thank you...loaded up on my podcast app and will give it a whirl.

Yes, he is direct and always edgy and loves to rant.

Stirs the pot like a Mama preparing a big stew for a family of 10.

Enjoy the different angles between him and Jeroen as they debate and explore. Like two characters in a lekka series.

Great to see them publicly contributing to this important matter

#asthmadawg

Yah, I also find him interesting, I dont read all his articles but the ones I have read have been pretty hard hitting, he is unafraid to call BS and usually backs up his statements with sound proven medical facts. 

I was very interested to learn from the article that the intake and excretion of Salbutamol is not a 1 : 1 ratio, (ie) one in and one out, which is sort of how I envisioned it, but its far more complex than that, and it could be two, three or four in, to one out, and because Froome has been taking a pump inhaler for a long time there is a history of his metabolism (ie) the in and out ratio, which, as he says is almost like a blood passport,...so there is history which can be referred to, which will make it more difficult for SKY to show exceptions.       

If one reads this article carefully he makes it clear Mr Froome is not some sort of special alien placed among us to win grand tours, he functions the same as all of us, a bit more efficiently in some cases of course, but basically he breathes and bleeds just like you and me.

Archived