Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

Sorry Grumps . Jannie Beetge and Bubbles, bit of a curved ball. Jannie was the owner of International health. A good bobybuilder with some trophies on his desk. He fell in love with a black model Bubbles Mpondo . This was the 70 's South Africa. They were constantly hassled and harassed and he killed them both . Doug Slater passed away from a respiratory illness in 2012.

I am very sorry to hear this, I got to know Doug and his wife Dawn very well in the 80's and 90's, I often trained at his little gym upstairs there, I knew his brothers Bill and Rocky as well, I liked Doug, he was a great character. I also got to know his kids, I forget their names now but I know one of them left to go live in Australia. 

Dawn was also a great BB in her own right, she competed locally and internationally very successfully. 

Yah, life is short, he was the last person I would have imagined to pass away prematurely like that. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The major issue is that Froome’s adverse analytical comes after 15 months of bad headlines for British cycling. In August of 2016, World Champion Lizzie Deignan was controversially cleared after missing three anti-doping tests in a year. A few months later, the Fancy Bears hacking story revealed that Bradley Wiggins had received a TUE for corticosteroid triamcinolone immediately before the 2012 Tour de France, which he won. This began a chain of events that led to a UK Anti-Doping investigation into Team Sky and the infamous Jiffy Bag incident. The country’s cycling heroes were dragged before Parliament to explain themselves, and the media covered every twist and turn.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/12/commentary/commentary-froome-scandal-could-burst-british-cycling-bubble_453430#skb4KUFGicClEtQZ.99

Ulissi lawyer: ‘Froome could risk a longer ban’

Chris Froome could be risking a longer ban as he tries to clear his name in his unfolding Salbutamol case.

That’s according to Rocco Taminelli, a Swiss sports lawyer who represented Diego Ulissi in 2014.

“What he is trying to do is very risky,” Taminelli told VeloNews. “They will try to argue that he did not take more than was allowed. Now he has to prove it, and that is the hard part. If you fail to prove it, you could get two years.”

None of this stuff is just "Sport" anymore (if it ever was?) - now it's a massive worldwide business worth billions. Product placement and Sponsorships, TV royalties - audiences numbering hundreds of millions for some events. Enough money to sway anyone.

Add to that the "National Pride" aspect and you even get countries orchestrating doping programs on a grand scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Cycling news are trying hard to drum up some drama. We had a triple team positive and a few EPOers last year - how can a salbutamol positive and old hat motor doping ruin cycling?

Can't wait for the racing to start so cyclingnews can write proper stories!

It did look like a bit of a "slow news week" story didn't it? After everything that's happened in recent years I think cycling will manage just fine, in fact it will grow.

It did look like a bit of a "slow news week" story didn't it? After everything that's happened in recent years I think cycling will manage just fine, in fact it will grow.

Agreed. Maybe the staff were bored and needed to get some words out ????

I upset some guys on Twitter.

Rohan Dennis did 410w over 51 mins at a TT recently. Everybody went WOW!

So I tweeted saying that if Froome did it, they would have screamed DOPER.

At first they started, no no Froome did 525w... much more than Rohan.

I then explained nicely that a 5min PPO is different to a 50min sustained effort.

At Froomes last LAB test he did 419w for a 20-40min effort.

I was then told; “ja but weight....” so not the same.

Froome was 70kg at test, Rohan was 71kg at TT...

Then it changed direction again.... it the became about height..

Look I’m not saying Froome is clean or not clean, but dammit man, if we want to cry foul about W/kg readings, surely we need to be consistent in our critisms.

I then explained nicely that a 5min PPO is different to a 50min sustained effort.

Look I’m not saying Froome is clean or not clean, but dammit man, if we want to cry foul about W/kg readings, surely we need to be consistent in our critisms.

Rohan who?

Surely it's only fun when you are questioning the guy/team with the moral high ground, anti doping initiative and current 'top dog'?

I think stories of 'the best' or vets cat amateur dopers get more of a response than those of domestiques and also ran's in the pro peleton.

Rookie numbers those, not even enough to beat the Sky doms. Not sure who is upset about it other than Dennis himself knowing it is only good enough for National level. 

Don't see why they just don't go ahead and sanction Froome. Whether intentional or not there was an adverse analytical finding so it calls for a sanction. Slam the max sanction for the offence and if they can come up with some crap excuse then reduce the sanction.

Patch, this is like F1... change the rules to make the right team win... "farcical" comes to mind...

Archived