Location tracking app with crash detection

johnwoodman78

I'm about to release such an app within the next month or two.

We've been developing and testing it for the last 18 months and are just about ready.

Key features:

It will be available for Android and iOS.

It will have a user setting for the crash alarm threshold.

Alarm will fire off a packet of info containing the location and the severity of the impact (based on the G force recorded).

The recipients of the rescue signal can be chosen by the user, multiple or singular.

We will be linked to a central control room which can notify emergency services.

The information will be recorded and correlated in order to be sent out as notifications to subscribers. This will allow tracking and advance warning of hotspots.

The app will also have a manual activation which allows for a user to alert recipients of 3rd party incidents.

There will be a proper launch happening soon.

Will keep you all posted.

WhatsApp has a share live location feature. Don't know about crash detection though, I crashed 3 times on my bike on Sunday.

I use garmin live tracker on all my rides, no crash detection but wife can see when i stop and exactly where i am including HR and speed

The high heart rate could also be as a result of other " strenuous" activities non cycling related.........  :whistling:

Edited by coppi

I use garmin live tracker on all my rides, no crash detection but wife can see when i stop and exactly where i am including HR and speed

Which Garmin? I know the 520 and 820 have crash detection. 

I know the crash detection works on my 520. Have activated it twice before. But haven't crashed once. First time-taxi jumped a red and I had to slam on breaks same time as the car alongside me had to, luckily we both stopped in time and just looked at each other and shook our heads. Cancelled the alert. Second time I was attempting an endo in front of my wife, sort of pulled it off but the alert went off. Let it do its thing and next minute her phone got the sms with our location.

which Garmin? Essentially any unit that connects to the Garmin Mobile App.

A number of us used it on our ride today Durban.

Edit: Any Garmin device that connects wirelessly to GC mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

We installed Life360 for my fiance to track me on a long race. It was so good we kept it. Way cool for seeing where the other one is when meeting for coffee etc.

• 3 years later...

Really got to think about this while I was out yesterday... Any update on this, is there an app or device that can alert someone in case of a crash while on a lone ride? In case of a hit and run so that I don't die in a ditch somewhere... Thanks in advance

Edited by zulucat

3 minutes ago, zulucat said:

Really got to think about this while I was out yesterday... Any update on this, is there an app or device that can alert someone in case of a crash while on a lone ride? In case of a hit and run so that I don't die in a ditch somewhere... Thanks in advance

My Garmin watch has this functionality, I'm sure many competitors do too. 

35 minutes ago, zulucat said:

The new Specialized helmet with mips and ANGI. Also there are quite a number of the Garmin computer models which have this functionality too and watches as Nico stated above.

Garmin 1030P definately has this. 

I had a little mishap on Sunday and it worked by sending a message to my spouse. 

M

Spez have a dongle that you stick to your helmet. It comes standard on some of their higher end models, but you can get it separately too.

3 hours ago, zulucat said:

The Apple Watch has crash detection. I think since the series 4. 

2 hours ago, Mike Mac said:

Garmin 1030P definately has this. 

I had a little mishap on Sunday and it worked by sending a message to my spouse. 

M

Yes, I have disabled mine. Sometimes it will trigger on the road bike when it shouldn't. But more than that, last time it triggered and my son drew it to my wife's attention she simply looked at him and said 'I wonder what he has gone and done now?". I didn't even get a sympathy call. Which is when I realised that I really am on my own. ???? Now I just wear my Discovery bracelet and hope for the best.