[Event] Value Logistics Fast One 2018

Lostee

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this unique to the Fast One?

No, I doubt I'll do many more road races ... This after nearly 28 years of cycling

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

No, I doubt I'll do many more road races ... This after nearly 28 years of cycling

Feeling similar, Decided to look more into Triathlons, so did not get my CSA membership or racing license, will therefore not be in Vets group when I do race. But I have done plenty of races so you start asking if it is still worth it getting up at 04:00 or earlier to do a race. but that might change In six months time.

I felt exactly the same in 2014 after 26 years of cycling.  Finished my 15th 94.7 in 2013 with my Mrs on the tandem and had absolutely no enthusiasm for the bicycle come 2014.  Started riding motorbikes and really enjoyed it until you realise that its also a consumer bling-shootout - who's got the biggest, flashiest, shiniest most expensive...blah, blah, blah.  then you realise, after having put on a good few kilo's,  that you miss the simplicity of the bicycle and nobody else really gives a toss about your seeding, average speed or your finishing position or how many medals lie in that shoebox under your bed...its about the joy of riding a bicycle.  I tossed the HRM's, GPS's, training programs and all that bollocks and am absolutely loving being back on the bike after a 4 year break....just ride, its fun.

I meant mostly around the danger that other riders present .....

Happens in every race. I look at road races as more of an uninterrupted semi solo ride but with added road safety and tend to stay clear of big bunches, if I do find myself in a bunch that gets too big or there are "cowboys" in it I drift to the back and let it go.

Edited by scotty

I felt exactly the same in 2014 after 26 years of cycling. Finished my 15th 94.7 in 2013 with my Mrs on the tandem and had absolutely no enthusiasm for the bicycle come 2014. Started riding motorbikes and really enjoyed it until you realise that its also a consumer bling-shootout - who's got the biggest, flashiest, shiniest most expensive...blah, blah, blah. then you realise, after having put on a good few kilo's, that you miss the simplicity of the bicycle and nobody else really gives a toss about your seeding, average speed or your finishing position or how many medals lie in that shoebox under your bed...its about the joy of riding a bicycle. I tossed the HRM's, GPS's, training programs and all that bollocks and am absolutely loving being back on the bike after a 4 year break....just ride, its fun.

Fortunately it's only road racing that I'm taking a break from, I still ride a bike six days a week and do the occasional MTB race as I've always done. Perhaps some time I'll go back, in fact I don't I'll miss 94.7 for some reason ....

Looking at his position I remember your son, we started in A batch and traded places through the race,  I've never done the short route and even though I did not give max effort I expected to do a lot better, Comparing the results last year there were 21 riders under 1.30, this year only 7 so i think the wind must have played a part. 

My son is riding with my old Raleigh RC4500. Red, yellow and black. He did not do as good as last year (He came in at 7th last year with a time of 1:24), but he currently is focusing more on the Sasol marathon in Sasolburg which is this Saturday, the 3rd of February. Thereafter he will concentrate once again on cycling, and he is hoping for a PB on the CTCT. 

I started in AL, at 36km I got dropped, tried working with two other gentlemen for a while but we werent strong enough to catch the bunch. At 60km I was caught by a second AL group (twas dropped earlier). At 80km I got a flat front tyre.At 84km another flat tyre on the back wheel. My Garmin shows 2:40 (set to pause when I stop) but on strava it is 3:17 which is the same time as the time on Racetec. Does strava ignore pauses on workouts when getting data from Garmin?

Does strava ignore pauses on workouts when getting data from Garmin?

I certainly don't have that problem - I have my Garmin Edge 520 set to auto-pause, and my Strava results reflect the pauses as well.

I started in AL, at 36km I got dropped, tried working with two other gentlemen for a while but we werent strong enough to catch the bunch. At 60km I was caught by a second AL group (twas dropped earlier). At 80km I got a flat front tyre.At 84km another flat tyre on the back wheel. My Garmin shows 2:40 (set to pause when I stop) but on strava it is 3:17 which is the same time as the time on Racetec. Does strava ignore pauses on workouts when getting data from Garmin?

depends whether you flag your strava ride type as 'none', 'workout' or 'race'.

None (default selection) ignores the pauses when you stop and only shows riding time

Race is essentially total time elapsed including stops (racetec uses this). For accuracy sake it is recommended to use this option when doing a race 

Edited by GavS

I did this recently.

After riding with a HRM for 17 odd years (was still using a Polar S510), the strap finally gave up the ghost.  For a month before 947 I trained without it. I felt so much better, was feeling so much stronger and was enjoying riding.

Then, during the 947 the sensor for my good old fashioned cyclecomputer got caught up in my spokes as I turned onto the main road towards kyalami, I ripped it out and rode the rest of the race with no info other than cadence and time. I loved it.

I still had cyclemeter running on my phone, but was not bothered to check it until the end.

The only reason I'm considering a new HRM is because I've just joined discovery and vitality.

I tossed the HRM's, GPS's, training programs and all that bollocks and am absolutely loving being back on the bike after a 4 year break....just ride, its fun.

depends whether you flag your strava ride as 'ride' or 'race'.

Ride (default selection) ignores the pauses when you stop and only shows riding time

Race is essentially total time elapsed including stops (racetec uses this). For accuracy sake it is recommended to use this option when doing a race 

Ok I get it now. However the average speed on strava remains unchanged which then differs from racetec.

Ok I get it now. However the average speed on strava remains unchanged which then differs from racetec.

lol, strava is NOT an exact science...

yeah it does the same on my side, ride time changes but not average speed.

bit of a glitch there. Could have sworn it used to change in the past