I did youtube it

what makes is good to buy

Regards

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By having a saddle low and out of the way, you have more freedom to move around on the bike when descending or navigating a sketchy section of the trail. 

Just make sure to do your homework before buying one. It isn't a one-size fits all type of product. You need to ensure that your bike is compatible and that you have enough frame clearance for the appropriate drop that you want to buy. 

Make sure you choose what is best for you internal or external- internal has neater lines but is harder to replace cables etc. Make sure you get the right drop in terms of your frame size and your saddle height- just measure it correctly.

A dropper lets you have more control and confidence on the bike not only when descending but also on berms- it gets the saddle out the way. Maybe test ride a bike with a dropper and you will see this for yourself. 

Essentially - you will have more FUN with a dropper. I find myself using mine a lot. 

Edited by scubes

I would say to make sure you do really need one. I bought my new bike in June last year, added a dropper post 2 months later, and then sold it again 2 months later, as I never used it. I find I can move around the bike enough.

By having a saddle low and out of the way, you have more freedom to move around on the bike when descending or navigating a sketchy section of the trail. 

Just make sure to do your homework before buying one. It isn't a one-size fits all type of product. You need to ensure that your bike is compatible and that you have enough frame clearance for the appropriate drop that you want to buy. 

I like posts like these. They keep this place rolling.

Not everyone has the patience and empathy it takes to explain things in simple terms

from the ground up. We often assume that everyone here already knows everything.

Or if they don't, then its their job to find such info in the numerous threads on the same

topic that came before it.

Those of us who know a little more are quick to forget how hard it is to navigate through a plethora of information when you know absolutely nothing about it. Which is why threads like these will always pop up. Its often all someone needs. Ground zero. A simple, short and concise explanation describing something most of us assume everyone already knows. 

I would say to make sure you do really need one. I bought my new bike in June last year, added a dropper post 2 months later, and then sold it again 2 months later, as I never used it. I find I can move around the bike enough.

if you're riding gravel roads and jeep tracks then you probably don't need a dropper. If you're riding any decent single track and you feel a dropper is a waste, then you're doing something wrong.

Best upgrade to a MTB in my opinion.

For Trail riding I'd say it is a must, as an older guy, I got a lot more confident dropping the seat out the way to ride steep drops.

I ride a hardtail, and recently installed a dropper. I could never go back - the advantage of getting low prevents over-the-bars, allows you to navigate very tricky/technical sections and just boosts confidence to go faster, especially through the technical stuff, steep drop-offs and berms. 

if you're riding gravel roads and jeep tracks

Pinners and parkrats don't use droppers either. While I agree with you he does have a point. While most of us cannot imagine a world without a dropper. The same doesn't ring true for everyone. I use to argue that the additional weight penalty of droppers in XCO events was negligible in lieu of the time to be made up on the way down. I can't prove it. But more and more XCO heroes are using them now. Still. Some don't. Some feel perfectly fine without it. 

There is no way of knowing if op will benefit from one unless they try it out for themselves.

If you're tall with long legs like me on an Xlarge bike with the seatpost super high the ability to drop the post lowers your center of gravity which immediately feels safer and more stable.

If I'm bombing down a long jeep track or even a pitted dirt road I'll often just drop the post by 5 or 6 cm which lends a more stable feel to the ride. When climbing or on a flat I pop it back to the full height and I can pedal efficiently and without stressing the wrong muscles. 

I find even on a flat but winding section of non technical single track, just dropping it that small amount makes the handling feel that bit nippier, balance on the corners easier.

I love my dropper a lot.

Pinners and parkrats don't use droppers either. While I agree with you he does have a point. While most of us cannot imagine a world without a dropper. The same doesn't ring true for everyone. I use to argue that the additional weight penalty of droppers in XCO events was negligible in lieu of the time to be made up on the way down. I can't prove it. But more and more XCO heroes are using them now. Still. Some don't. Some feel perfectly fine without it. 

There is no way of knowing if op will benefit from one unless they try it out for themselves.

what's a pinner and a parkrat?

I wasn't talking racing and weight weenies. My point was in relation to having fun on your mtb going downhill.

The dropper will allow you to ride technical things quicker, if that is your problem.

I did enjoy it very much, but the one I was using needed too much maintenance. I have now changed to a suspension seat post, which I am also enjoying. Each to his own.

I hard a partner in Sani who was very good on single track, with the dropper I could keep up with him. So that was nice. 

My only advice is to spend a bit of money, get something reliable.

what's a pinner and a parkrat?

I wasn't talking racing and weight weenies. My point was in relation to having fun on your mtb going downhill.

Downhill and slopestyle/dirt jumping. But ya that's moot.  

I put a dropper on my dad's bike. Thought he might benefit and not look back like most of us here. But he just did not see the point. He hardly ventures beyond the gravel roads and surrounding farms in our area though. So yah. Not for everyone.