What does it take to get a sub 3?

Fruity

That would be an interesting thread actually. Heaviest sub3 CTCT/Argus finisher ever - let's track him (or her?) down. 

On what number  (kg?) does "heavy" start ?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to stir the pot a bit.

What does it take to get a sub 3 in a 100+ km road event?

Does training play a role, or is it being the right weight, or is it learning how to ride behind someones wheel?

Good advice generally and I want to add that consistency is key. I am by no means an athlete and I have had many sub 3's. It took a couple of years to get there but I would keep on following my training program and I would keep on going back to the races. In time my seeding, fitness, climbing ability and times improved. If I think back about specific things that helped me it must be cycling tours (riding to Durbs, Limpopo or CT) for a couple of days and Suikerbosrand for some climbing. I always felt that riding multi day ups the level. Not all races are always successful, there are good and bad days for all reasons and I have gone backwards on the watch in some races. Train with a goal and regularly works for me and I love cycling!

I'm going to stir the pot a bit.

What does it take to get a sub 3 in a 100+ km road event?

Does training play a role, or is it being the right weight, or is it learning how to ride behind someones wheel?

Yes massive!!

Do lots of sweet spot training, it works!! 

Training, and lots of it... and always remember, no one will take you seriously in life if you tell them you're a cyclist but you've never done a Sub3 Argus... now go spin your pedals :whistling:

we all know that finishing the epic and a sub3 Argus are interchangeable

ACE08-STG1-SMCE08-STG1-00232-SM.jpg

Robbie K did the epic at ~120kg?

on a 26er nogal!

without even closing his bottle caps

On the week of the event, and all the time if you can help it! 

Sleep well. Go to bed early in case you have an early start. 

Eat healthy foods. I have some of my best results when eating right. 

Stay hydrated. Drink 2l of water a day, every day! 

Know yourself! 

we all know that finishing the epic and a sub3 Argus are interchangeable

ACE08-STG1-SMCE08-STG1-00232-SM.jpg

Robbie K did the epic at ~120kg?

on a 26er nogal!

without even closing his bottle caps

I think that pic refutes your theory that a sub 3 argus and an Epic finish is interchangeable  :ph34r:

Any oke with lots of money and a bit of training can finish the Epic - the requirement for a sub 3 Argus is very different 

From a recent article in the BA in flight magazine, I see Donovan van Gelder says you need an FTP of 4w/kg to do a sub 3 hour Argus. Looking at some of my earlier training files, that seems more or less right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For most of us mortals, you can train your ass off and be as prepared AF but if you're not decently seeded, it ain't going to happen.

Last time I looked at CTCT results, sub 3s were limited to A, B and C riders.

(waits nervously to be proved wrong)

From a recent article in the BA in flight magazine, I see Donovan van Gelder says you need an FTP of 4w/kg to do a sub 3 hour Argus. Looking at some of my earlier training files, that seems more or less right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, then I just need to drop 26kg's and I will be there!

On a totally unrelated topic, anybody got a good reference for someone that does stitches, specifically in the abdominal area... :whistling:

For most of us mortals, you can train your ass off and be as prepared AF but if you're not decently seeded, it ain't going to happen.

Hmm, I checked racetec, and my sub-3s were from B or C.

I've only had better starts than B twice, but didn't do so well from there for some reason.

Did it from D batch. All depends on the weather - too windy or too hot, forget it.

Archived