Taxis

nathrix

Everyone's writing about the new Sheriff in town :w00t:

Taxi driver arrested in Sandton on Wednesday.

Taxi-in-hegtenis-geneem.jpg?resize=320%2

Minnaar asked for the biker to make a statement at the Sandton Police station,

see link and attachment bellow.

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-nuus/taxibestuurder-vas-na-padgebruikers-ingryp/

Edit: Report on News24 https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfrica/News/watch-taxi-driver-arrested-after-going-viral-for-driving-on-wrong-side-of-the-road-20181010

post-4329-0-38241000-1539253832_thumb.png

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find to be concerning at this current moment on our roads is that it's not only taxis that blatantly disobey the rules of the road. Red lights get ignored, people use cellphones while driving in bumper to bumper traffic, broken head and/or tail lights, missing door mirrors, ruined windscreens. And the worst of them all, drunk driving and easy bribes. 

We as a car-driving population have just lost it. We don't care, plain and simple. Those that do are in the minority, and they should be the shining example to how it should be done. 

But I hate taxi drivers with an unbridled passion. Nothing else on the road sends me into a rage as much as they do, even more than cyclists that cycle more than two abreast  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling: .

The key weakness here is law enforcement. What we have is of a unacceptably low standard. 

It would be nice if we had some (traffic) cops on the hub,

I'd love to hear their side of the escalating state of roads issue.

It would be nice if we had some (traffic) cops on the hub,

I'd love to hear their side of the escalating state of roads issue.

I would have loved to be a metro reservist, especially traffic enforcement on the motorcycle, but alas, Linden police station couldn't understand what a reservist is :thumbdown:

I only kind of agree with myself and kind of agree with you.

However.

It's clear that things have to change and that the authorities are not going to be the people who make the change. Trouble is we as citizens can't really do much when faced with the tactics that taxis use. The taxi industry operates in a co-ordinated way and back each other up no matter what, and use violence to do so. Shootings at taxi ranks are an example of this. If road users met violence with violence, this could only end badly and who knows how far it could escalate.

Seeing the change requires one to be brave and realise that if one man can create a change then two men can do more. the biker in that video stood against a 2.5 tonne taxi nd made a difference. When all citizens stand behind one another then we re bigger than the taxi.

What you don't see in the video is the queue of drivers who decided that rather tan bitch about being inconvenienced sat behind that biker and made him a lot bigger he was on his motorbike.

When you drive up behind me in a normal way in the fast lane, I can change lanes pretty quickly once it is safe to do so, and I normally give a 'one indicator light flash' to show I acknowledge the driver, and I will move over as soon as it is safe.

However, something really strange happens to my car when I get flashed from behind, or tailgated, or bumrushed... its like my car goes into freeze mode... Its really weird... the steering wheel will simply not move than a few degrees at a time, meaning that it takes me between 40 and 50 seconds generally to move from one lane to the next.

I must say... I really feel sorry for the superhuman rushing up behind me... and I often say to myself...damn, if only they hadn't flashed or bumrushed... they would have got to their destination 40 seconds earlier... 

You're doing the right thing. Tailgating is dangerous. You have no idea when that bafoon is going to change lanes. What if they change lanes the same time you do? big accident.

So kudos mate.! if they tail gate, hold your line. If they approach from behind and stay a safe folloing distance behind I don't mind being flashed to show that you want to be released. But I'll do so when its safe. 

I will not jump to the left hit the brakes to slow down the match the gap in the left lane because that has a ripple effect on those behind me in the left lane. That would e dangerous and negligent of me.

Keep fighting the good fight :thumbsup:

What I find to be concerning at this current moment on our roads is that it's not only taxis that blatantly disobey the rules of the road. Red lights get ignored, people use cellphones while driving in bumper to bumper traffic, broken head and/or tail lights, missing door mirrors, ruined windscreens. And the worst of them all, drunk driving and easy bribes. 

We as a car-driving population have just lost it. We don't care, plain and simple. Those that do are in the minority, and they should be the shining example to how it should be done. 

But I hate taxi drivers with an unbridled passion. Nothing else on the road sends me into a rage as much as they do, even more than cyclists that cycle more than two abreast  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling: .

The key weakness here is law enforcement. What we have is of a unacceptably low standard. 

Been in way too much traffic the last few days (work trips) ....

DAMN it !!!

WAY TOO many idiots behind steering wheels !!!!!!

people start texting while the traffic crawls\stationary .... the text is more important, so they keep on watching the screen while they hold up the traffic behind them AND when they do crawl forward they cross the lanes left to right endangering everybody around them ....

Actually HOOTED at a lady on the N1 yesterday afternoon .... she got enough of a fright to actually put down the phone

and these are NOT taxi's .... it is our own neighbours driving like CR@P !!

Ever since I bought my Ferrari I've realised how frustrating the right lane is. I love this car, worked my ass off for it and am going to drive it how I like.

I'm happiest going 210km/h. But it's such a schlepp when I get stuck behind these idiots only going 160km/h. It's the overtaking lane damnit. Do they think it is their job to slow me down or something?

Everyone's writing about the new Sheriff in town :w00t:

Taxi driver arrested in Sandton on Wednesday.

Taxi-in-hegtenis-geneem.jpg?resize=320%2

Minnaar asked for the biker to make a statement at the Sandton Police station,

see link and attachment bellow.

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-nuus/taxibestuurder-vas-na-padgebruikers-ingryp/

Edit: Report on News24 https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfrica/News/watch-taxi-driver-arrested-after-going-viral-for-driving-on-wrong-side-of-the-road-20181010

He contacted me about the statement so I went and did it yesterday at Sandton Station  :thumbup:

He contacted me about the statement so I went and did it yesterday at Sandton Station :thumbup:

I hope you explained to the taxi drivers poor kids why Daddy wont be coming home tonight.

I hope you explained to the taxi drivers poor kids why Daddy wont be coming home tonight.

Maybe taxi driver should have thought of that himself before he started breaking the law !!

Been in way too much traffic the last few days (work trips) ....

DAMN it !!!

WAY TOO many idiots behind steering wheels !!!!!!

people start texting while the traffic crawls\stationary .... the text is more important, so they keep on watching the screen while they hold up the traffic behind them AND when they do crawl forward they cross the lanes left to right endangering everybody around them ....

Actually HOOTED at a lady on the N1 yesterday afternoon .... she got enough of a fright to actually put down the phone

and these are NOT taxi's .... it is our own neighbours driving like CR@P !!

NEARLY got sideswiped by a driver texting away on Sunday ....

Minor difference ... this driver already had all his right side tires over the paint line ... pushing traffic off the N1 into the middle man .... the vehicle in question being an interlinked TRUCK !!!!

I dropped a gear and got next to his cab and hooted .... he let go of his phone long enough to bring the truck back into the correct lane ....

NO, there was no traffic in front, he was not changing lanes, he was not overtaking anybody .... he was just plain simply texting away .....

but then again ... had two cars drifting lanes during the same trip .... when you get next to them you SEE them texting away .... I was driving at 115km/h on cruise control.  Lady in a Renault comes flying by .... then slows down in the fast lane and starts drifting the lane as she texts away.  She must have been going about 100km/h at one stage as I actually caught up and passed, while still on cruise control.  I saw her texting ... blipped the hooter ,,,, she dropped the phone, dropped a gear and was back at 130+ in no time ....

So many opinions. 

I remember when it became a requirement to move over when somebody flashed their lights, and it was safe to do so. The reason that I remember it is that there was so much discussion about it at the time, but the logic was, IIRC, that it is far more dangerous to impede traffic than it is to speed. It was about the same time that it became legal to move into the yellow line on a single lane National road to allow a vehicle to pass you, at your own discretion, and as long as you had 300m of clear view of the road. 

South Africa is flipping something else when it comes to driving. My, probably useless, theory, is that so many people are so stressed, angry and disempowered by inflation, the government, Apartheid, BEE, the economy........ , that they have a huge level of aggression and, when on the roads, they are forced to be in close proximity with thousands of other people in an environment that requires everyone to follow certain rules in order to maintain flow and some semblance of safety. Thousands of stressed, angry people forced together is a recipe for disaster. 

Archived