[EVENT] Dischem Ride for Sight 2018

mecheng89

My alarm went off at 4am and I thought fuckthisshit, but I toughened up and rode AL and chilled in the main bunch. Saw some dude go down around the 20km mark and we had a few twitchy moments later on when the 60k route joined up. Always going to be an issue and I don't see how things will change.. Bottom line is that its flat and fast race so you need to have your game on and stay focused and not ride like a ****. That said I'm going to move up to VB and test those waters.

Came in at 2:58 with the main bunch in a sprint.

AND So cool to see a sold out event. Its a good sign folks.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our entry fees cover the cost of the printed numbers. If we don't pitch it is our cost not theirs, so who are they saving money for? Only themselves, to make a bigger profit out of us cyclists as they are certainly not gong to reduce the entry fee because they have a new print-as-you-come system!

You make it sound like a scam. All proceeds go to fund research to find treatments for genetic retinal conditions AND it is audited. 

Rode in VC

Kudos to our CSA comm. and bike marshal for allowing a rolling road closure during the many gutters.  Was stressful to manage I'm sure, but less stressful to try keep all on the left.

Hope the guys that crashed in CL recover quickly. Wasn't nice to see.

I got spat out of the back of the leading CL group at 30km, pace was brutal, but after seeing 4 different incidents with people being seen to by ambulances I feel better about missing the big bunches. Was a bit undercooked this year.

When I complained they said it was to be more environmentally friendly.

And then they hand out junk bags, oh sorry goody bags, out front. 

Because of the long queue there was also a shortage of parking so I got to

spend at least 20 minutes just finding parking.

Number collection was a zoo from 10 am to 3 pm on Friday at Cyclelab. Its time the cyclists decided rather than the retailers and the events. I was a walk up entry and got my doen in minutes but all the people who pre-entered got shafted and had to wait for hours to get their numbers.

Guys were fighting over parking the whole morning at Cyclelab.

Who cares about goodies bags. Its all crap anyway. You can get all the information online. when is cycling going to get in to the digital age and away from this BS?

Print your number at home and get charged based on your chip. Pre-entry gets you seeding. No pre-entry no seeding.  No need to pre-enter and go through all this bollocks....

Rode in VC

Kudos to our CSA comm. and bike marshal for allowing a rolling road closure during the many gutters. Was stressful to manage I'm sure, but less stressful to try keep all on the left.

Heard there was a crash in VC as well. Apparently one guy went down

That was a tough one, and scary too. The Elites went out at a flying pace this morning. 47km down in the first hour of racing, and was pretty nerve wracking in the beginning when we went through the potholed section. Hitting those at 60+ km/h hour on carbon rims aint fun. Saw at least one crash in $, only saw one guy go down though. Got spat out the back of the bunch about 50kms in and made a group of survivors of around 8 strong and we just worked together until Heidelberg road. 82km in the second hour of racing. Once we hit Heidelberg road guys either started riding for themselves or they got tired but our group of about 8 or 9 strong riders did less work together, I tried to separate myself from them at 106km to no availhttp://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w553/Alastair2308/DSC_1893_zpskj4pshe7.jpg. Crossed the line in 2:58.

Heard there was a crash in VC as well. Apparently one guy went down

Not sure, I'm close to the front on gutters - keeps you safe®.  So probably happened way at the back.

Interesting race. Started in CL and did the first hour at an average of 45km/h catching the front of BL in the process. My legs decided it was nap time going into Suikerbos but I see CL finished 3 min ahead of BL in the results so the front groups must have ridden together from there.

Considering the quality of roads compared to the fast one I was surprised with the number of accidents having ridden past or next to at least 4-5. One bad one with two gents not getting up just after the half way timing mat and one pointless one after the finish line because someone stopped in the middle of the road 50m after the line.

The short race was very enjoyable. No crashes, everyone rode sensibly and predictably. Although I don’t think the % ladies appreciated getting caught up in our bunch for a while, but it was not our fault. Too many cyclists, not enough road.

I got 19 PB on today's race, according to strava, Garmin only gave me 3 records.

Well done. Garmin records are more difficult to come by as there are so little. 

I also rode this, but still amateur. Did the 62km in 2:39 on my MTB. I enjoyed the race a lot.

Also, had a minor crash at the first watering hole. Lady stopped in the road and I was trying to get water, so didn't see her and rode into her. Luckily no damage to either of us.

Archived