Road or Mountain bike riders are stronger /fitter/have more stamina

FirstV8

I wonder how many of us know this info? Not I.

But I'll bet that weekend warriors like us that do both have higher numbers.

I can solve this conundrum once and for all, for the average weekend warriors that is at least.

Guys and girls that only ride mtb post some w/kg and same for the roadies squad. I'll start, peak fitness (2016) 2,5 (Road)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a scorching hot windy day and I choose to ride my mtb in the sappi forest in the shelter and shade am I a wus for not suffering in the sun while being blown off my bike?

And when it has poured with rain for days and the sun finally comes out am I a wus for riding my roadbike because I really dont feel like stripping my mtb to clean loads of mud afterwards?

Hi..im blondie. And Im a bike slut. Ill ride whatever bike suits at the time.

I find that the more road riding I do the faster I get on the MTB - I think the stamina and endurance and more constant effort required on the road means that when I reach a technical section on the mountain I'm less fatigued, able to hold better posture and move more easily on the bike because of being less tired. 

Some sense at last .Ditto !

Road builds the endurance. MTB builds the explosive power. Many MTB pros do a fair amount of their training on the road. For us normal non sponsored riders, the road is more forgiving on the pocket due to less wear and tear on components.

Road builds the endurance. MTB builds the explosive power. Many MTB pros do a fair amount of their training on the road. For us normal non sponsored riders, the road is more forgiving on the pocket due to less wear and tear on components.

This is another one of those "it depends" things. At the sharp end of road racing it's break, counterbreak, chase down, relax, repeat. Tons of hard intervals at close to max or max. XCM MTB is all about energy conservation so the best plan is the least amount of explosive energy possible. XCO is all explosive power.

It's this kind of "it depends" theory that kinda renders the whole debate a little meaningless.

Chess players are even better than dart's players. Even Andrew McClean said so when he said road cycling was like playing chess on speed......(or something like that :ph34r:)

A castle in darts is something you drink.

Whereas in mtb the explosive power is much shorter, requiring a 2 second kick to get through a steep switchback or over a rock on a climb. Also in mtb the rest of the body gets a fair workout too. Arms, shoulders, back, core all do a lot more because of the technical downhill.

Whatever, they're both good for body and soul.

This is another one of those "it depends" things. At the sharp end of road racing it's break, counterbreak, chase down, relax, repeat. Tons of hard intervals at close to max or max. XCM MTB is all about energy conservation so the best plan is the least amount of explosive energy possible. XCO is all explosive power.

It's this kind of "it depends" theory that kinda renders the whole debate a little meaningless.

.... and the queen's stage? And of course that well known chess gambit king of the mountain.

A castle in darts is something you drink.

Realised something this morning ....

Owning and riding a "MTB" does not make me any fitter/stronger than somebody that owns a road bike ....

TIME IN THE SADDLE ....

saw an elderly lady doing two runs of Dorstberg this morning.  MTB or roadbike, she surely IS "fitter/stronger" than many a younger rider !!!