Road or Mountain bike riders are stronger /fitter/have more stamina

FirstV8

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about triathletes?

Are they fitter than roadies and mtb'ers.

at least three times as fit 

Guys i started  this thread  purely out of curiosity for the fun factor . My observations are that no matter what discipline you train for or compete in its the "Fun and satisfaction factor " that is most important at your specific level . The mountain biking  i have done in the last 8 months have given me more fun miles  than when i was a roadie . Fitness is discipline ,age , weight and competitiveness  related . Im nowhere near my goal weight and level of fitness i want to be but i still attack each climb from the front knowing full well  that ill fade before the top but its the competitiveness in me that does that .Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday and we can look forward to some FUN riding on the weekend again . 

Im sure this debate happens around many coffee tables /lunches /braais or at races .Which rider has the best of form in being fitter ,having more stamina or being stronger because of the discipline the ride in .Im and old school roadie but started Mtb 8 months ago after 20 years off my bike and i now train purely for my Mtb experience on the weekend . Is there a cross over point were it does not matter what you ride you have all the above attributes . .I have some of my own observations but would like to hear others that have ridden both on and off road .

Think you asked the wrong question.

Better question would have been which racing discipline is harder.

Think I know the answer, wonder what the hub Illuminati think

Adolf Hitler and Nazis.... there! I started the beginning of the end...

Also don't forget to mention 650b vs 29ers. 1x11, 1x12 and/or 2x11, correct sock height and last but not least LA

Darts players are by and away the fittest and most well-rounded athletes out there. Any other sportsman is just a pale imitation and can't even sit in their draught.

he who trains the most, he is the strongest...

anyone serious about training these days has everything needed to train effectively and accurately.  power meters, training books, training apps, hub wisdom etc...  so if you believe that are faster or slower because of the type of bike that you prefer ride, you're doing it wrong

Or consider that an unknown domestique from roadracing nearly won the Epic.

See Rabon, Frantisek.  

Oke has been scared off ever since...

Darts players are by and away the fittest and most well-rounded athletes out there. Any other sportsman is just a pale imitation and can't even sit in their draught.

Chess players are even better than dart's players.  Even Andrew McClean said so when he said road cycling was like playing chess on speed......(or something like that :ph34r:)

Now the epitome of cycling would be the hardcore downhillers.

They have the idea of a balanced regime down to a tee.

The best of both worlds - walk up oh shucks I forgot some drive up - beer half way up and a smoke at the top just to clear the lungs and then FLY down at insane speeds just to repeat it all.

Stamina - they can do this all day.

So speed skill and stamina.

Cycling's conundrum

I can solve this conundrum once and for all, for the average weekend warriors that is at least.

Guys and girls that only ride mtb post some w/kg and same for the roadies squad. I'll start, peak fitness (2016) 2,5 (Road)

Archived