Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered a Ultimate CF SLX frame set last night , the Germans say I'll have it next week .

I'll post a pic and some feed back on how the process goes . 

I'm worried about the bar width but lets see ...

The kind of person who is embarrassed to admit that it is fitted with a has a semi-compact chainset.

(Scroll up and have a look here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/172321-canyon-bicycles-now-available-direct-to-south-africa/page-21?do=findComment&comment=3365199)

My new bike also came with a Arione, see you have changed yours?

I need to do that too before I am forced to change my name to flaccidilicious

My new bike also came with a Arione, see you have changed yours?

I need to do that too before I am forced to change my name to flaccidilicious

Naah - I still have it on the bike. I had a few um, err, crotch issues at first, but I'm quite comfy on the Arione now... (with no flaccidity issues :) )

Gents, sorry taking the easy way out here and dont want to go through all the pages.

So whats the deal when ordering online ?

Are there any duties available or just the normal vat and clearing charges ?

Any indication on breakdown will be appreciated, thanks !

Gents, sorry taking the easy way out here and dont want to go through all the pages.

If you're ordering a full bike, then a 15% duty plus Vat will be charged over the purchase price ex shipping. 

If you're ordering a frame, then just Vat calculated on purchase price ex shipping. 

For the purposes of importing goods, VAT is calculated on the purchase price + 10%, which essentially means that VAT is 16.5% instead of 15%.

So:

Full bike = Price + 15% + 16.5% (multiplicative increases) = Price + 33.975%, then add shipping & clearing fees, which vary from company to company. 

Frame only = Price + 16.5%,  then add shipping & clearing fees, which vary from company to company. 

I needed a clearing agent, which added to the whole cost. And while the bike was supposed to be shipped to Cape Town, by appointing a shipping agent, you absolve the courier of any further responsibility. So I had to pay the agent fees, the duties and VAT, AND to get the bike couriered down to Cape Town.

I hated myself, but then I rode my Canyon, and it was all worth it!

Wonder if Canyon have considered using Borderfree Global Shopping. They are used by an online shop that I purchased some motorcycle parts from in the US and they guarantee your duties at checkout, so no surprises when stuff goes through customs. 4 working days from order to delivery, I was pretty impressed.

Wonder if Canyon have considered using Borderfree Global Shopping. They are used by an online shop that I purchased some motorcycle parts from in the US and they guarantee your duties at checkout, so no surprises when stuff goes through customs. 4 working days from order to delivery, I was pretty impressed.

Sounds like a good model.

Canyon South Africa are pushing for an inclusive single price and apparently, it is in the works with Canyon international.

Hi All,

So I'm thinking of buying a Canyon Neuron and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, my understanding is that the overall price I'd pay is:

Bike plus vat and duties: (bike price) x 1.33975 (thanks Myles and co)

Shipping: $299 (on canyon website)

Packaging: $16.90 (on canyon website)

Are there any other costs I'm missing? In short, will the above total result in a shiny new bicycle arriving at my door, or are there further costs involved?

And then from anyone who's been through the process, assuming there is availability of the bike you are after, is the whole process fairly smooth/quick, or do you end up waiting months for the bike to get through customs?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi All,

So I'm thinking of buying a Canyon Neuron and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, my understanding is that the overall price I'd pay is:

Bike plus vat and duties: (bike price) x 1.33975 (thanks Myles and co)

Shipping: $299 (on canyon website)

Packaging: $16.90 (on canyon website)

Are there any other costs I'm missing? In short, will the above total result in a shiny new bicycle arriving at my door, or are there further costs involved?

And then from anyone who's been through the process, assuming there is availability of the bike you are after, is the whole process fairly smooth/quick, or do you end up waiting months for the bike to get through customs?

Thanks in advance. 

My experience was fantastic. I ordered something that was pending stock, and as soon as it arrived in Koblenz, I was billed, and it cleared customs in SA 5 days later. I made a point of keeping on UPS's case to keep things from bogging down in the process

Had a really good experience with a road frame. The frame was in stock. Ordered Tuesday morning and the frame was in my office Thursday afternoon. UPS guy arrived with an invoice for the duties which I paid EFT while he waited and I handed him proof of payment.