Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

So...If I'm understanding your message correctly, then its (R100.00 X 10%) + (R100.00 X 15%). That together will give total customs and VAT charges....Correct...?

Vatable Amount = invoiced cost + 15%

Vat = (vatable amount + 10%) x 15%

In practice, it comes to: invoiced amount x 1.15 x 1.165 = invoiced amount x 1.33975 or cost + 33.975%

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Endurace has rolled flawlessly for 1000's of kms... until this past weekend when the front sifter started catching on up and down-shifts. Wasn't sure what was wrong - took it into the shop and the shifter's been sent for warranty in Jozi. Proof of purchase has been supplied, so will wait and see wha the agents say. Regardless, this is going to be a headache, as I'm not sure a 8020 ultegra hydro shifter is a stocked item... will wait and see. 

My Endurace has rolled flawlessly for 1000's of kms... until this past weekend when the front sifter started catching on up and down-shifts. Wasn't sure what was wrong - took it into the shop and the shifter's been sent for warranty in Jozi. Proof of purchase has been supplied, so will wait and see wha the agents say. Regardless, this is going to be a headache, as I'm not sure a 8020 ultegra hydro shifter is a stocked item... will wait and see. 

That will be a Shimano issue then, not a Canyon issue?

Canyon Endurace CF SL - owned for 8 months and always puts a smile on my face and just makes me conscious of how much i need to improve to get the best out of it.

That will be a Shimano issue then, not a Canyon issue?

well, yes. and no. Cool Heat are going to warranty the part. Canyon would as well, as they're the original supplier.

But no matter, there's no stock at Canyon, or at Cool Heat.

well, yes. and no. Cool Heat are going to warranty the part. Canyon would as well, as they're the original supplier.

I'm somewhat surprised by that, quite a few bikes are coming out OEM with them now.  Maybe the after market takes a while to catch up.

Edited by thisismyotherbike

Was the Shimano part supplied by Canyon.?

Cool if Cool Heat :) is willing to warranty the item locally.

Doubt that many other local distributors would warranty an item sourced internationally.

Was the Shimano part supplied by Canyon.?

Cool if Cool Heat :) is willing to warranty the item locally.

Doubt that many other local distributors would warranty an item sourced internationally.

Canyon only sell by shipping internationally, there's no Canyon brick and mortar dealer in SA or anywhere else in the world.  Not the typical case where somebody ordered a Shimano groupset from CRC in order to cut out the local suppliers.

The warranty sits with Canyon, not the local distributor.  I would argue that it makes a lot of sense for Canyon to do a small transaction with the local distributor to replace the component instead of getting the client to courier it to Germany and couriering a replacement.  This comes with the added pains for customs, time delays etc.  From Canyon's perspective it's probably cheaper to do this than the paying for the two-way courier and customs on a EUR200 part.  On top of that Cool Heat is reputable and can check if the part is actually broken.

We aren't the only faraway country they ship to, there must be some of this going on for smaller issues.

Thought I'd post the post-mortem on this...

My left shifter failed (Ultegra R8000), and being hydraulic, I didn't expect it to be an off-the-shelf item*. I was right. Anyway, I took it into Complete Cyclist in Hout Bay (round the corner) with the hope that it was something simple (like replace a cable) - this was before we figured it was toast.

Andre @ CC informed me the shifter was busted and they could send it off for warranty to Cool Heat, but needed proof of purchase (Canyon invoice, and customs invoice and proof of payment). I did this and it took a while for couriers etc to get it to Cool Heat. 

And when it got there... oh boy... They couldn't confirm stock owing to an IT hiccup. They initially said they had none (*see above). A call to Cool Heat confirmed this but they also said it was a straightforward warranty, and as soon as they had a replacement, they'd send it on. They just couldn't tell me when.

Anyway, 2 days later, Andre rings me up - the part's arrived. As soon as I got my bike to them (I'd retrieved it to put on IDT), they'd fit it. 

So all sorted... Proof of purchase and payment of duties saved my bacon here. And big kudos to Andre and Complete Cyclist Hout Bay as well as Cool Heat.