When wheels go BOOOOM!!!

Squier

A similar thing happened to me after mounting Maxxis Icons on Stans Crest wheels.

Those rims are super tight and after pumping up the tire to 3 bar (so it pops out and seats itself),

I spun it around to ensure the goo was well distributed and then as I put the wheel down - BAAMMMMMM !!!!

An almighty noise and at first you stunned, not quite sure what happened. One moment all is normal, the next moment, you and everything in your garage is covered in sticky white stuff. Even my neighbours came to see what the noise was.

If you google Maxxis tires and Stans Crest rims, it is not that unusual. There are whole treads on the subject

Wild night out! 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sorry man..but woow you are such a good narrator, do you write books by any chance? I would love to read your material.

Writing? I'll consider it. Clearly a bike mechanic won't be my thing.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Wild night out! 

Tuesday nights in Claremont bru! Always Massive.

On a more serious note, I just thought I was lucky that it happened when it did. If one looks at the online forums, there are many guys who have had MAJOR issues with Maxxis tires on Stans Crest rims. Blow offs half way down hills etc.

I sold the stans wheels quickly after that and bought a pair of Shimano XT wheels. You can mount anything on them and pump them up to whatever pressure and they fine.

Probably the pressure gauge at the garage was way off.

The wider the tyre the lower the pressure.

Easton Rim pressure.pdf

According to Easton a 2.35 tyre can be pumped to 3.2 Bar and it should not go Boom at 3.5 I think the rim was marginal or the gauge at the garage was way off.

Happened to me as well, also inflated at the garage, also 3 bar but it was an AM Classic Race with Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin tire. Luckily no sealant as I first get it to seat then add sealant via valve. Exploded in my hand, middle finger was swollen for a couple of days & ear zinging for weeks. Tire was fine though.

My take it's not the rim or tire but over inflation.

Happened to a guy at Trans Baviaans last year...we had hardly ridden 300 meters when BOOM. The whole of Willowmore kakked themselves...

Happened to me as well, also inflated at the garage, also 3 bar but it was an AM Classic Race with Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin tire. Luckily no sealant as I first get it to seat then add sealant via valve. Exploded in my hand, middle finger was swollen for a couple of days & ear zinging for weeks. Tire was fine though.

My take it's not the rim or tire but over inflation.

Yeah, my hand was swollen for a day or two.

So, the tyre is rated to 60 psi, which is 4.1 bar, therefore, I thought 3.5 was safe.

The gauge of the garage could be wrong, although I highly doubt that. The consequences of over inflating a car tyre could be much more severe than just a swollen finger. But at this stage, like I said, there's no way for me to prove that I did not over inflate the tyre. I probably would've expected the tyre to fail before the rim, but it seems that's just me. At this stage, it is what is is... a destroyed rim.

No, I've underestimated the stickyness of Stan's. I'm not even getting it off the outside of the car!

I'd call myself near expert on cleaning/restoration of finishes and I have a whole host of chemicals and tricks but Stans has no compare, a min or 2 is the limit on fabric and then it's just about set for life, even a spill on concrete bizarrely is almost impossible to remove.

Let us know if you find any tricks to remove it, maybe try contact ashesive thinners(most hardware stores will have it, it's specially made for thinning and cleaning up contact adhesive) , that could easily take it off because contact adhesive typically is latex based.

Agreed, the garage gauge could be way off. Also depending on how old it is. Those are supposed to be calibrated, not sure if they bother tho. I have had my share of experiences with garage pumps being highly inaccurate with car tyres. Its easy to tell when low profile tyres are way too hard or too soft.

I'd call myself near expert on cleaning/restoration of finishes and I have a whole host of chemicals and tricks but Stans has no compare, a min or 2 is the limit on fabric and then it's just about set for life, even a spill on concrete bizarrely is almost impossible to remove.

Let us know if you find any tricks to remove it, maybe try contact ashesive thinners(most hardware stores will have it, it's specially made for thinning and cleaning up contact adhesive) , that could easily take it off because contact adhesive typically is latex based.

Glue remover?

https://www.ctm.co.za/glue-remover-1l-product.html

http://www.genkem.co.za/genkem/index.php/diy-with-genkem/item/contact-adhesive-cleaner

Not sure what it would do to the fabric tho

then again you can try sunlight liquid directly onto it or even doom.

Thanks!

I've taken it back to Fulcrum. According to them it's over inflation. I disagree, but there's no way to prove that the tyre was inflated 3.5 bar. So, unfortunately the rim is a write off.

3.5 bar is over inflated.....as is 3. Rim is probably rated lower than that, or very close to.

*** funny story, but you did it to yourself. ????

Yeah, my hand was swollen for a day or two.

So, the tyre is rated to 60 psi, which is 4.1 bar, therefore, I thought 3.5 was safe.

The gauge of the garage could be wrong, although I highly doubt that. The consequences of over inflating a car tyre could be much more severe than just a swollen finger. But at this stage, like I said, there's no way for me to prove that I did not over inflate the tyre. I probably would've expected the tyre to fail before the rim, but it seems that's just me. At this stage, it is what is is... a destroyed rim.

gauges at garages are never accurate, you should not trust them EVER

Had a similar (though admittedly less messy) experience while riding the cradle loop. Starting from Valverde. Easying into the nice section of rolling flats after that little bi@tch of a climb leg spinning, birds chirping, lovely mid summers afternoon generally very warm countryside vibe going.

Next thing I know gunshot, suddenly felt like I was back in nam in 02 (for the record this is not me getting the time frame of the Vietnam war wrong, it was a hunting trip in Namibia where shots were fired and beers were had, not necessarily in that order either)

Turns out I might have overestimated the ability of a 60tpi sidewall to carry 140kg at 3.5bar

post-83996-0-07006700-1518856779_thumb.jpeg

Archived