Can middle age guys jump?

Delarey

so... i'm 35 and started my quest to learn to jump about 3 years back with skills clinics from peach.  it all ended rather sadly when i moved and no longer have any place to practice, so I've taken a slight step backwards in the jumping department.  None the less, still hoping to learn to jump really well when my circumstances change some day.

maybe just a correction to your initial post...  you said its 80% bravery and 20% skill..  I'd rather say its 95% skill and 5% bravery...  I'm living proof that you WILL fall on a steep jump or a big gap if you don't have the right technique, no matter how brave you are, every time!

I guess some level of mental illness is required to attempt rampage sized jumps, but honestly believe that with good technique almost 80% of the jumps on local trails and even most DH course are rideable without crazy amounts of stupidness and adrenaline.

Edited by rudi-h

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the comments about the dropper post pushed me over the edge, so I placed my order. Hopefully this will help keep me out of hospital.

I totally agree the risk benefit does not make sense on the big jumps, but some airtime on the smaller jumps does add a lot of fun and exhilaration to my riding experience. I have such a range of jumps to choose from at G Spot and Mont Marie that I will not run out of range any time soon. My plan is to stick to the ones that I can currently do and really work on my form before I think about moving on to anything bigger. 

I also notice this morning on G Spot that fitness has a lot to do with it as well. Once you get to the bottom it is easier to hit that jump if you are not out of breath or have sore arms and legs.

You will love it!

I have considered adding a dropper to my commuter, that's how much I love them.

May I also suggest XC-style knee and elbow pads. Something like the Leatt Airflex range. The pads these days are supremely comfortable. It gives a huge mental boost knowing that the inevitable fall will be much less painfull.

May I also suggest XC-style knee and elbow pads. Something like the Leatt Airflex range. The pads these days are supremely comfortable. It gives a huge mental boost knowing that the inevitable fall will be much less painfull.

Problem with knee and elbow pads is that I will then have to rethink my entire riding outfit. I ride with normal cycle gear (lycra) and if you combine that with knee and elbow pads you look like a real knob. Not that it bothers me what I look like, but that does feel a bit much....hope I did not offend anyone!

what are the things we need to know before buying a dropper post ?

In my case for a TREK Fuel EX5 ... possibly internal routing (?)

Would I still be able to use my saddle bag with a dropper post ?  (carrying the spares for two bikes ... so nice and large bag ...)

Would I still be able to use my saddle bag with a dropper post ?  (carrying the spares for two bikes ... so nice and large bag ...)

Make sure about your Diameter and according to me get the biggest drop you can. 150 if possible.

If your bike is not ported for a dropper then get one with an external cable routing ...

If you ask nicely your LBS will have stick on cable router guides that you can use to aline your cable for the dropper along the frame in the best way suited for that specific bike. 

As for a saddle bag - as the seat will drop its not advisable in my opinion to run a saddle bag. Maybe look at getting those new style bags that go just behind the headtube  ... IMG_9721.jpg?resize=1024%2C683

To OP if I may suggest something that did wonders for my jumping....

Head over to G-Land, also in Stellies...  Either take someone with that can jump or hopefully bump into a friendly rider there, either way pay them with beer.  The area is built for confidence inspiring progression, small to big tables and small to big doubles. 

Start small and work your way up, with the right mindset and mates pushing you it might only take a few hours to be hitting the bigger features. 

Loan a fullface helmet and pads (assuming you don't) to help with the anxiety of falling. 

It really is an awesome place to learn!  And the feeling when you hit something that scared the s*&t outta you before is amazing..

This is where it is:

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9356843,18.8317008,354m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

To OP if I may suggest something that did wonders for my jumping....

Head over to G-Land, also in Stellies...  Either take someone with that can jump or hopefully bump into a friendly rider there, either way pay them with beer.  The area is built for confidence inspiring progression, small to big tables and small to big doubles. 

This is where it is:

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9356843,18.8317008,354m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Thanks for this! Have been living in Stellenbosch for 25 years and never heard of it. Will definitely check it out! Mont Marie and G Spot is great, but if you want to try the same jump over and over, it is not ideal.

I'm 51 and every ride involves as many  wheels off the ground events as possible, be they jumps or  drop offs. 

I second what Duane and PhilV have said. Get your bike sorted. Dont try and jump like Nino. If he had a choice, he'd also be jumping on a trail bike with the seat out of the way. 

Watch as many videos as possible and practice, starting small. Then apply the same skill to the next biggest feature. Don't pick a high consequence gap jump unless you can clear the same distance on a table top. Common sense and correct application of skills applies here more so than anywhere else on the trail. 

This is sort of a jump, but a bit like a drop off and the flat landing makes it rather punishing on body and bike. 

Edited by Headshot

I'm 51 and every ride involves as many  wheels off the ground events as possible, be they jumps or  drop offs. 

I second what Duane and PhilV have said. Get your bike sorted. Dont try and jump like Nino. If he had a choice, he'd also be jumping on a trail bike with the seat out of the way. 

Watch as many videos as possible and practice, starting small. Then apply the same skill to the next biggest feature. Don't pick a high consequence gap jump unless you can clear the same distance on a table top. Common sense and correct application of skills applies here more so than anywhere else on the trail. 

This is sort of a jump, but a bit like a drop off and the flat landing makes it rather punishing on body and bike. 

still not able to hit that rock drop at jonkers, bleh freaks me out...

This one looks very tempting! Pity the landing is not a bit of a downslope. At my weight it will definitely punish the bike!

Been shopping for dropper posts for my EX5, so a couple of things to consider. You will need a 31.6 diameter post. The Fuel EX5 frame has internal routing. However, the main thing to consider is what length to get. Check what the minimum distance between the seat clamp and saddle rail is and measure what your bike is at. The Fuel EX seems to have quite a high seat clamp, so that has limited my list to 120mm maximum.

Edited by Piston ZA