Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

I once worked in an office bordering on a nature reserve. We had a resident Cape Cobra that lived in the veld outside our office. In the mornings around 9-10am we would watch through the windows as its head would pop up from a hole and it would open its hood to catch the suns rays to heat up his circulation. By late afternoon the bugger was diving down tunnels chasing mice. Very active. Quite often we would see his tail disappearing down one hole and a mouse scampering out of another nearby hole followed by Mr. Slither. So that's my unscientific findings on the activity of Cobras, verder weet ek F**ol :thumbup:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok awesome, thanks for that. Will keep it in mind.

I just don't know man, I feel it is a bit unnecessary to give be a dry bite, so biting me just for the case off biting. How about no. Just leave me alone.

I once saw a molslang coming out of a hole in the ground at Meerendal, looked like a steel rod rising out of the ground, until I saw its tongue, and let me tell you this: there is no way that snake was more scared of me than I was of it. No way. I literally screamed like a girl, and started shaking on my bike. Absolutely kakked my bibs.

Nah, the snake is more afraid. It bites in self-defence only. How would you act if a perceived threat a hundred times bigger than you all of a sudden appears, and looks like it will crush you? I'll tell you...have fangs, will bite.

This is the same as with sharks. Back in my surfing days, I was passed by 2 raggies at Herolds Bay, one on either side. They saw me long before I saw them, and I was in the backline with nowhere to go. On another occasion, I shared the waves with a great white at Mosselbay Outerpool, while all the locals were screaming at me to get out.

I had 3 more waves before calling it quits. My reasoning was that the shark could have eaten me long ago if it wanted to.

On the snakes part: I nearly bumped into 3 cape cobras in 2 days over this last weekend. One was at the beach though: at Horsies as I was about to jump in for a surf - this after a mtb, where I nearly rode over one at Meerendal. In fact, I literally rode right past that one at Meeren and he/she never budged or blinked. I am always motoring so only spot them late. Once, I needed to bunny hop one at the Bloemendal to Majik corridor.

Generally they do move off quickly when they hear you approach, so I am not too concerned. Also, they are really very seldom aggressive. Time wise....i think good luck if you're looking for the sweet spot. Don't think it exists. But don't be worried, just ride. And enjoy. Chances are very much like a shark attack.......skraal!

I am personally more afraid of dogs when out riding. I got attacked by one in May, and now I am of the opinion that the next mutt that charges me in aggression will get killed by me. 

I will take that dog out without the slightest hesitation.

A couple of weeks ago I have devised a new way of calculating maximum heart rate. Start with a gentle warm up on your bike to get to a heart rate of around 140 bpm. Then ride onto a cobra. Based on this method, my maximum heart rate is somewhere around 188 bpm. Happened at Hoogekraal around 11 am. Was on a slight uphill so going slowly. Didn't see the cobra until he moved when I rode over his tail.

post-24502-0-25020800-1541515081_thumb.jpeg

On another tangent: anybody else surprised at the number of flies around now? It used to be a few troubling me at certain places e g. Hoogekraal which seems to be a hotspot, but now it is way more spread out and there are way more. Ok ok, my body odour probably contributes....but I'm choosing my rides according to fly pest levels. Geez. Any feedback from the farmers out there?

And then, the additional Altydgedacht loop is cool...adds some alternatives back to Bloem. BUT anybody also a little concerned about the shooting range off to the side? When I used this the first time, it seemed that the guys didnt shoot until I passed a certain point, which I very much appreciated, but still a feeling of unease there.....

On another tangent: anybody else surprised at the number of flies around now? It used to be a few troubling me at certain places e g. Hoogekraal which seems to be a hotspot, but now it is way more spread out and there are way more. Ok ok, my body odour probably contributes....but I'm choosing my rides according to fly pest levels. Geez. Any feedback from the farmers out there?

And then, the additional Altydgedacht loop is cool...adds some alternatives back to Bloem. BUT anybody also a little concerned about the shooting range off to the side? When I used this the first time, it seemed that the guys didnt shoot until I passed a certain point, which I very much appreciated, but still a feeling of unease there.....

where is this loop? the protea hotel route?

Flies have always been a problem at hoogies, unfortunately. Conties gets affected as well, but HK takes the cake in terms of the pure number of flies. Only thing I've found that sorta helps is a dose of mozzie repellant before the ride. 

Yass, the flies have been annoying. Especially when it's 30° out, you're climbing Spyker at Hoogekraal and two different species of fly insist on landing on your face and mouth. Flies have even been on my case at Majik Forest. Need to start riding earlier in the morning.

I am personally more afraid of dogs when out riding. I got attacked by one in May, and now I am of the opinion that the next mutt that charges me in aggression will get killed by me.

I will take that dog out without the slightest hesitation.

You should take your anger out on the owner.

You should take your anger out on the owner.

I would be happy to do so, but first, I need to sort the dog out. No biting allowed. If that means I end the dog, then so be it. Then, if the owner is around, he better start running.

After my incident on the way to Simonsberg in May, I got attacked by a sheep dog belonging to a farm labourer. The dog ripped a 12cm gash into my lower leg, almost to the bone. And then I had to stand there and get demoerin with the owner who was reluctant to assist me. He eventually relented after I threatened him with poverty beyond his level of comprehension after I sue his ass.

Then in August, coming down the back of Devon Valley road I got assailed by another aggro mutt. This time I evaded getting bitten, but that made me resolute to rather steer directly for the dog with intent to end it, rather than evade it. I have figured that in trying to get away, the dog gets the advantage, and I get bitten.

No more.

I see dog, I end dog.

A couple of weeks ago I have devised a new way of calculating maximum heart rate. Start with a gentle warm up on your bike to get to a heart rate of around 140 bpm. Then ride onto a cobra. Based on this method, my maximum heart rate is somewhere around 188 bpm. Happened at Hoogekraal around 11 am. Was on a slight uphill so going slowly. Didn't see the cobra until he moved when I rode over his tail.

Every time I go up Spyker, my average HR hovers around 185 - 188 bpm for that climb. I think my heart works like a wankel rotary engine, in that it spins some stupid high rpm's, yet I feel completely fine at those high figures.

I would be so stoked to ascend at normal levels like 140 bpm. 

If I had to ride over a snake, I guess I would go over 200... :eek:

I would be happy to do so, but first, I need to sort the dog out. No biting allowed. If that means I end the dog, then so be it. Then, if the owner is around, he better start running.

After my incident on the way to Simonsberg in May, I got attacked by a sheep dog belonging to a farm labourer. The dog ripped a 12cm gash into my lower leg, almost to the bone. And then I had to stand there and get demoerin with the owner who was reluctant to assist me. He eventually relented after I threatened him with poverty beyond his level of comprehension after I sue his ass.

Then in August, coming down the back of Devon Valley road I got assailed by another aggro mutt. This time I evaded getting bitten, but that made me resolute to rather steer directly for the dog with intent to end it, rather than evade it. I have figured that in trying to get away, the dog gets the advantage, and I get bitten.

No more.

I see dog, I end dog.

I feel your pain man.

I recently got bitten by a boerboel - owner/farmer was 50 m away and couldn't care less. For the sake of peace with land owners and trails going over them I decided not to pursue it further with litigation, as it would probably have ended up with the farmer closing off access to his and neighboring farms and in the process everyone else loses out.

I haven't ridden there ever since the incident. 

No more.

I see dog, I end dog.

Both your incidents are owner related. The dog does not know better.

If owner adhered to law saying it must be on a lead at all times then the dog would not “attack”

Dog does not know “no biting “ rule.

Carry pepper spray and you not have been attacked.

You “take out the dog” the owner will get another one and it will be the same.

I really hope we never ride together and you get agro with a dog while I am there. Animals don’t know better!!!

I feel your pain man.

I recently got bitten by a boerboel - owner/farmer was 50 m away and couldn't care less. For the sake of peace with land owners and trails going over them I decided not to pursue it further with litigation, as it would probably have ended up with the farmer closing off access to his and neighboring farms and in the process everyone else loses out.

I haven't ridden there ever since the incident.

When it come to this I see it the same way as snakes. We are in their territory. Again pepper spray!