Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

I agree it sucks - don't think it's worth buying loads of day permits for the different farms and trying to link up tbh

Another option nearby is the Bottelary trails where you can access the whole system for one fee.

I know there are politics & individual owners bla bla bla and all that but it's a pity Tygerberg doesn't have the same system

i stay close to the tygerberg trails though so these make sense to me as I won’t need a car to get there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Annual is gonna cost you R30.90 per day on your 3 week trip...no brainer IMO.

Anyone know if there are plans to update the trail maps? None of the hoogekraal stuff is on there-makes it complicated planning a ride

You can get all the maps from here, http://www.irideafrica.com/trail-maps/

its where the Tygerberg MTBC Website get it from anyway.

Single track      95.29km

Dirt Roads        44.19km

Total Trails       139.48km

attachicon.gifTygerberg.jpg

Z --> Welvergenoegd

Q --> Fair Cape

The signage has been put up naming it as such. Z and Q were used by Patrick to keep people from knowing where he was building, to A) keep the surprise factor, and B) to keep tires off the trails while the trail-gnomes do their thing. Now that it's all done and dusted (literally), the names have also been revealed. No more Z and Q.

Semantics really, get out and ride, dammit... :clap:

Z --> Welvergenoegd

Q --> Fair Cape

The signage has been put up naming it as such. Z and Q were used by Patrick to keep people from knowing where he was building, to A) keep the surprise factor, and B) to keep tires off the trails while the trail-gnomes do their thing. Now that it's all done and dusted (literally), the names have also been revealed. No more Z and Q.

Semantics really, get out and ride, dammit... :clap:

Yeah i struggle to say Welver-ge-noegd so i just decided to stick to Trail Z  :whistling:

Yeah i struggle to say Welver-ge-noegd so i just decided to stick to Trail Z  :whistling:

I don't know anybody who says Welver....... Everyone says Trail Z

How difficult are these 2 new trails in terms of skill needed? It’s been a while since I’ve done any sort of trail riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How difficult are these 2 new trails in terms of skill needed? It’s been a while since I’ve done any sort of trail riding.

pretty easy. Some tightish uphill and downhill switchbacks but no hectic stuff really

I seem to recall a thread on here arguing that the trails are mostly green-graded :eek:  :eek: like Cobra :whistling:

I seem to recall a thread on here arguing that the trails are mostly green-graded :eek:  :eek: like Cobra :whistling:

Cobra is *technically* a blue, if you go by IMBA standards. Everything else on Hoogies is green, IMO, as there are no forced obstacles that would elicit a blue / black rating. Everything is voluntary. 

Except the skills park. 

then its best you take it easy, both have drop offs that will send you to the hospital if you went full speed into them, there are options that can take you comfortably around them but just be cautious.

The tracks are also very dry and powdery.. so maybe take it easy on your first time out and build your confidence as you go... The trails will still make you feel awesome  :thumbup:

Cobra is *technically* a blue, if you go by IMBA standards. Everything else on Hoogies is green, IMO, as there are no forced obstacles that would elicit a blue / black rating. Everything is voluntary.

Except the skills park.

I believe Mr Stransky had the Gorge section re-rated as double black, if memory serves...

Awesome stuff. Will definitely take it easy initially and get a feel before I go full beans which probably isnt much different tbh  :lol: