Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Can anyone confirm if you buy a day permit at Bloemendal are you allowed to enter through Hillcrest gate? I was under the impression the day permit gives you access to Bloemendal upper and lower and Hillcrest. But when I got to the gate it said day permit holders not allowed.

Secondly, is there any other way to access upper Bloemendal without going through Hillcrest? I think I mistakenly went on the traverse section only realizing afterwards this is not the right way. I feel like the signage could be a bit better and clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone confirm if you buy a day permit at Bloemendal are you allowed to enter through Hillcrest gate? I was under the impression the day permit gives you access to Bloemendal upper and lower and Hillcrest. But when I got to the gate it said day permit holders not allowed.

Secondly, is there any other way to access upper Bloemendal without going through Hillcrest? I think I mistakenly went on the traverse section only realizing afterwards this is not the right way. I feel like the signage could be a bit better and clearer.

Day permit is valid for Hillcrest, but not via the members corridor at which you where on behind nitidia. So you have to go on road to Hillcrest

You have to cycle up Hillcrest red route to get t to Bloemendal upper

Everything in orange on the map is members only sections

Edited by Twaatie

Day permit is valid for Hillcrest, but not via the members corridor at which you where on behind nitidia. So you have to go on road to Hillcrest

Okay cool, I see now. Will have to give it another shot now[emoji51]

Okay cool, I see now. Will have to give it another shot now[emoji51]

That is false, your initial assumption was correct. To get to Bleomendal Upper you cross the road from lower Bloemendal & go via Ntidia to the Hillcrest Gate, you may even proceed to do the entire Hillcrest & then Bloemendal Upper if you wish.

From the Club Newsletter 

post-3951-0-09399800-1522327932_thumb.jpg

Edited by milky4130

I was under the impression the day permit gives you access to Bloemendal upper and lower and Hillcrest. But when I got to the gate it said day permit holders not allowed.

Old Signage

Annual is gonna cost you R30.90 per day on your 3 week trip...no brainer IMO.

Anyone know if there are plans to update the trail maps? None of the hoogekraal stuff is on there-makes it complicated planning a ride

I've updated all the maps ages ago but as far as I know the website hasn't been updated yet. The signs at the trail heads are current AFAIK

The Hillcrest gate has a combination padlock on it - I'm a member so I have this code but my understanding is that this code isn't given to day permit holders. 

Is that the case?

That is false, your initial assumption was correct. To get to Bleomendal Upper you cross the road from lower Bloemendal & go via Ntidia to the Hillcrest Gate, you may even proceed to do the entire Hillcrest & then Bloemendal Upper if you wish.

From the Club Newsletter 

attachicon.gifTYGERBERG PERMITS.JPG

I wasn’t given a code when I bought the permit. Tbh I just completely forgot to even ask them. It’s only when I got to the gate that I realized I don’t have a code. And then I obviously saw the sign that says no permit holders allowed so got even more confused.

The Hillcrest gate has a combination padlock on it - I'm a member so I have this code but my understanding is that this code isn't given to day permit holders. 

Is that the case?

the day permit at bloemendal is for upper/lower and hillcrest.  they usually write the code on the back of the day permit.

Is that the case?

no that's not the case, how else will the day permit holder get into Hillcrest? The old permit seller at the hut use to write the code on the back of the board but since he is not there I don't think that is happening any longer. Can't expect the Staff at Protea Hotel to know or have that code either. I'm guessing only the guys at Biosport will distribute the code, need to verify this.

I wasn’t given a code when I bought the permit. Tbh I just completely forgot to even ask them. It’s only when I got to the gate that I realized I don’t have a code. And then I obviously saw the sign that says no permit holders allowed so got even more confused.

where did you buy the permit from?

I've updated all the maps ages ago but as far as I know the website hasn't been updated yet. The signs at the trail heads are current AFAIK

Thanks! Now I know to take the faircape loop next time, pity TygerbergMTB hasn updated their site

• 3 months later...

Rode Faircape and Hoogenkraal today, those trails felt in really good shape. Thanks to all involved

Edited by LeoKnight

Rode Faircape and Hoogenkraal today, those trails felt in really good shape. Thanks to all envolved

They have just finished yearly winter maintenance on that section of the trails

Yeah, don't think we always express the appreciation for all the effort that is put in to keep the trails in such a good shape, but the weather and everything also makes this the perfect time, everything is green, the grass / shrubs / weeds are not yet tooo high, the surface is slightly moist and solid, with not to much mud.