Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ... once again, someone who doesn't read well...

Nobody is asking for steep gnarr....

This belief that Tygerberg area does not have steep or big hills...Now I am not sure where that came from, but it's a blatant lie to anyone who has not got blinkers on. Hoogies is very very steep, as is Meerendal, Hillcrest and Bloemendal (Conties is on it's own in this discussion as the primary decider on the trail is not TBMTBC).

That is a sorry story I'm sick of hearing for years now.

Already we have personally identified quite a few places where alternate lines could be cut branching off existing trails, only to be told certain people on the committee think it's "too dangerous"...Hmm, what about going down Bloemendaaler at 40km/hr? Surely that's also (much more) dangerous?

And I wouldn't confuse different scenery with trail type variety.

Relatively smooth trail after smooth trail joined by berm after berm. Yes it's fun, but the trail gets monotonous after a while.

Let's not get started on the big "e" word. There's seemingly about as much confusion and emotion as to what enduro means as there is about how many genders people can identify as these days. Suffice to say, "enduro" is not a type of riding. It's just trail riding...where you get timed.

Anyway, would be simpler to explain in person sometime I guess if we ever met up. The club no doubt had done great things, but ... they are not listening to many many many people asking for years now. So...no longer renewing a membership because of this (and because I moved house from on Majik) and will ride there occasionally still under a day permit (AFAIK the day permit money goes to the farmers and not the club?)....a vote with ones wallet goes a lot further.

To end..."I could go on and on, but wont"

Did you ever stop to contemplate as to why no-one listens to you??

Just to ask the question.

With the "bulk membership" that Tygerberg carries this would surely ensure that we have a lower cost per member than a smaller trail such as per your link?

Short answer No.

Longer answer.

post-3951-0-70654700-1542378837_thumb.jpg

post-3951-0-49817500-1542378858_thumb.jpg

It amazes me as to how people don't understand what the ethos and success about the TMTBC is about.

To put it into perspective, the TMTBC is arguably the biggest mountain bike club in the world.... yes the world, with over 7000 paid up members!!

Now surely there has to be some form of reason behind that success

So imagine if they had to cater for the 150 or so peeps that sign up for the 3 EWC events during the year, or the 50 or so peeps that pitch up for the very few D/H races on the Western Province calendar. Yes, they would be keeping 150 hard core riders happy every year. Unfortunately that is not going to sustain the land owners costs, trail building costs and maintenance costs of 150km of trails on offer on the network at the moment, as well of the needs of every other type of format of mountain biking.  Its a no brainer, the club will die

So what they have done is provide a huge amount of variety (contrary to Thermophages opinion), from the park like set up at Bloemendal, to the pure riding beauty in nature of Hillcrest, to the more hard core riding of UPPER Contermans (yes, Contermans is part of the TMTBC trail network), to the real challenge of a proper day in the saddle at Hoogekraal/ Welvergenoegd/Fair Cape to the green and easy ride at Meerendal, to the big jump lines at Bloemendal, to the pump tracks at Bloemendal, to the Skills Park at Hoogekraal,... there is so much for everyone and that what makes the club arguably the biggest in the world.... the variety, the fact that these trails are on your doorstep, the fact that these trails are really well built and cater for all.... not just 150 odd Enduro riders

The Tygerberg Hills do not have the landscape and elevations of Jonkershoek , Table Mountain or Tokai. They have land offered to them by the generosity of local land owners, predominantly vineyards and smallish hills.... they do not have the elevation, rocks and the gnar that the 150 odd enduro riders seek and even if they did, it would not be sustainable... this club is what it is because of the way they have gone about it with what they have on offer.. providing variety to all.... and then some!

Lets not mention the fact that they have kept WPXCO and EWC alive this year with their generous sponsorships of both formats. Its well documented the EWC was dying at the end of 2017, yet not a word of thanks from those on this thread who criticize. Apparently, this sponsorship will continue into 2019. Surely the minority of those that don't appreciate the TBMTC should recognise this, especially if they partook in these events this year.

I could go on and on, but wont.  To me, those that diss this club and what it has achieved, do not understand the essence of mountain biking in this country...

I don't think anyone is dissing the club or suggesting there isn't variety. What the TMTBC offer and have organised in terms of a trail network is amazing and their support for the sport is certainly not in question (well to my mind at least).

But (being Devil's advocate here) as arguably the biggest club in the world and with a variety of trails as well as sponsorship of local events, should we not then see more representation of riders from this club competing on the world stage? Personally I haven't seen much of this and international representation is surely the ultimate indicator of what your efforts have contributed to the sport (IMO). 

When it comes to trail features it would essentially be cool if there were options for progression on the trails themselves and not just within the skills park. As an example, would it not be useful to have a mini widow maker next to the main challenge to encourage less experienced riders to learn how to conquer it as opposed to only having the main widow maker and a chicken line right around everything challenging? Does the skills park offer obstacles that you could learn on and then take straight to the trail confidently (it's all about confidence after all)? Or would the widow maker always just be this scary feature that will never be tried because there is nothing to help one learn on? 

It's not just about being adding in more huge features and boost massive air, it's about being able to develop technical bike handling skills and that's where I think the trails lack a bit of progressive diversity.

Just to reiterate, TMTBC do a great job of affording access to land that would otherwise be inaccessible and the volume of trails is amazing. I'm not dissing them and they deserve all the kudos for this...but my thoughts as to the litmus test for a network of trails is not how many km's they offer but rather how many km's they offer that afford a rider progressive technical skills learning opportunities. And technical doesn't mean having to be airborne, it can be just as much fun learning how to carve your way through rocks and roots (granted the latter is limited in the Tygerberg Hills, just adding the example). I suppose it's horses for courses in some ways but maybe also some food for thought

I cannot believe that there are complaints about the TBMTB offering. For less than the price of a tank of petrol you get a full year of riding on a network of trails that extends across multiple farms, is excellently maintained, is safe from crime, has three different coffee/ restaurant spots on it and is open every day of the year bar those where there is a race or major event. 

Add to this access to WVP and Wild Boar just for a bonus.

Ungrateful in the extreme to complain about it. Churlish and spoiled whiners begone. 

To any landowner that is reading this - thank you for allowing us to use your land and I hope that it continues to be sufficiently worth your while to allow us to do so. There is not a ride that goes by where I don't lift my head from my toil and admire the view - a different experience in each season. The birdlife too is remarkable. Such a pleasure and a privilege to be able to be in such lovely surroundings so close to the city and to sharpen fitness and skill of these trails.

To those that are complaining - do us all a favour, don't renew, go ride elsewhere.

Did you ever stop to contemplate as to why no-one listens to you??

Nice ad hominem, Bod. Fact of the matter is that Thermophage has valid concerns and views, but the club doesn't listen to "the pinners" who are looking for progressive trail.

Except for the new XCO track, which is great. But that's a small percentage of what could be amazing trail, if Patrick was just allowed to build something more than berms.

I don't think anyone is dissing the club or suggesting there isn't variety. What the TMTBC offer and have organised in terms of a trail network is amazing and their support for the sport is certainly not in question (well to my mind at least).

But (being Devil's advocate here) as arguably the biggest club in the world and with a variety of trails as well as sponsorship of local events, should we not then see more representation of riders from this club competing on the world stage? Personally I haven't seen much of this and international representation is surely the ultimate indicator of what your efforts have contributed to the sport (IMO).

When it comes to trail features it would essentially be cool if there were options for progression on the trails themselves and not just within the skills park. As an example, would it not be useful to have a mini widow maker next to the main challenge to encourage less experienced riders to learn how to conquer it as opposed to only having the main widow maker and a chicken line right around everything challenging? Does the skills park offer obstacles that you could learn on and then take straight to the trail confidently (it's all about confidence after all)? Or would the widow maker always just be this scary feature that will never be tried because there is nothing to help one learn on?

It's not just about being adding in more huge features and boost massive air, it's about being able to develop technical bike handling skills and that's where I think the trails lack a bit of progressive diversity.

Just to reiterate, TMTBC do a great job of affording access to land that would otherwise be inaccessible and the volume of trails is amazing. I'm not dissing them and they deserve all the kudos for this...but my thoughts as to the litmus test for a network of trails is not how many km's they offer but rather how many km's they offer that afford a rider progressive technical skills learning opportunities. And technical doesn't mean having to be airborne, it can be just as much fun learning how to carve your way through rocks and roots (granted the latter is limited in the Tygerberg Hills, just adding the example). I suppose it's horses for courses in some ways but maybe also some food for thought

This.

i'm on board with Thermo and Chavo. Some sanctimonious responses that  evangelize the TMTBC and it's trails, but totally missing the opportunity to constructively engage with someone that is expressing a suggestion for a small change/addition. Instead, the thought is taken the wrong way and a potentially good discussion turns into a personal attack. Very Trump-like. wtf is up with all this sensitivity.

Nice ad hominem, Bod. Fact of the matter is that Thermophage has valid concerns and views, but the club doesn't listen to "the pinners" who are looking for progressive trail.

Except for the new XCO track, which is great. But that's a small percentage of what could be amazing trail, if Patrick was just allowed to build something more than berms.

He has some valid concerns, but I think his anti venom of the TMTBC is so so skewered, that it affects his judgement. Lets take Contermanss into perspective... take away nothing from Rob Starke, who we all rate as a serious trail builder... and rider!!

He alludes to this as "different from the TMTBC trails as aits a different trail builder"... correct!

So he waxes lyrical about the Contermans trails as there are" lots of off camber corners and variety"..... I think in that statement he means no momotinous berms as he so much detests

Once again let me state that riding Contermans is a pleasure.... yet lets digress

Mast down mainline: 0 off camber and many berms albeit a bit rocky

Revised: 0 off camber, many berms albeit a bit rocky

Freeride: 0 off camber, many berms not rocky at all

Supertubes: 0 off camber, gazillions of fun berms

the Kloof: 0 off camber, more fun berms

Cheeky Corners: 0 off camber, more gazillions of fun berms

Happy Hops: Nada off camber, trazillions of fun berms

Tree Charge: FINALLY... 2 off camber corners and not many berms

So, being a regular rider of Conties, its clear..... the place is a berm fest.... and rightfully so as its so enjoyable

Just dont know whats so different to Contermans as to the rest of the TMTBC trails. Berm after berm

Thank god I love all these trails and the diversity they give you..

Bravo chavo. I'm with thermopiles here. In fact. I believe if Patrick was given free reign (no pun intended) he would build the trails with technically progressive features as mentioned by thermopoefiles. Patrick unfortunately has to do a shed load of work maintaining the existing trails and won't always be able to get to everyone. It's a lot more work to maintain a bermed and plastered trail than a heap of rocks (read ezel stage 4). I also believe going 40km/h down paved singletrack is way more dangerous than picking your lines at 20km/h down revised rock garden on conties black.

He has some valid concerns, but I think his anti venom of the TMTBC is so so skewered, that it affects his judgement. Lets take Contermanss into perspective... take away nothing from Rob Starke, who we all rate as a serious trail builder... and rider!!

He alludes to this as "different from the TMTBC trails as aits a different trail builder"... correct!

So he waxes lyrical about the Contermans trails as there are" lots of off camber corners and variety"..... I think in that statement he means no momotinous berms as he so much detests

Once again let me state that riding Contermans is a pleasure.... yet lets digress

Mast down mainline: 0 off camber and many berms albeit a bit rocky

Revised: 0 off camber, many berms albeit a bit rocky

Freeride: 0 off camber, many berms not rocky at all

Supertubes: 0 off camber, gazillions of fun berms

the Kloof: 0 off camber, more fun berms

Cheeky Corners: 0 off camber, more gazillions of fun berms

Happy Hops: Nada off camber, trazillions of fun berms

Tree Charge: FINALLY... 2 off camber corners and not many berms

So, being a regular rider of Conties, its clear..... the place is a berm fest.... and rightfully so as its so enjoyable

Just dont know whats so different to Contermans as to the rest of the TMTBC trails. Berm after berm

Thank god I love all these trails and the diversity they give you..

The all mountain line...few off camber rocky lines, the descent next to the climb to supertubes (seldom ridden) pretty much only off-camber turns. Come now you missed a few.

i'm on board with Thermo and Chavo. Some sanctimonious responses that  evangelize the TMTBC and it's trails, but totally missing the opportunity to constructively engage with someone that is expressing a suggestion for a small change/addition. Instead, the thought is taken the wrong way and a potentially good discussion turns into a personal attack. Very Trump-like. wtf is up with all this sensitivity.

Its clear that you are only hearing one side of a three sided story. There is a huge difference between between engaging the TMTBC constructively on any trail suggestions as to dissing them openly on a forum like the Bikehub. The TMTBC has a specific "Trail Maintenance/building  request" thread on its website. Every single trail maintenance/ building request gets back to its trail builder and he replies immediately

I take it no one on this thread has taken the responsibility to engage constructively with the TBMTBC on this platform??

The all mountain line...few off camber rocky lines, the descent next to the climb to supertubes (seldom ridden) pretty much only off-camber turns. Come now you missed a few.

Ja... maybe a few..... but not the gazilions of berms

Its clear that you are only hearing one side of a three sided story. There is a huge difference between between engaging the TMTBC constructively on any trail suggestions as to dissing them openly on a forum like the Bikehub. The TMTBC has a specific "Trail Maintenance/building  request" thread on its website. Every single trail maintenance/ building request gets back to its trail builder and he replies immediately

I take it no one on this thread has taken the responsibility to engage constructively with the TBMTBC on this platform??

OK final 2c. Don't wanna have you posting so much today that your post count gets into the "I cna now sell stuff on the hub" category.

But the short of it is wholly yes. Not only on this forum, but via marshals, directly to committee members, builders, etc.

Anyway, have a rad weekend, go ride your bike and make sure you smile and chase a mate or get chased!

So just to reiterate what I posted here last week, it has been brought to my attention that one of the Land Owners is indeed on the TheBikeHub and following this thread.

I quote "This will influence his decision of current negotiations he is in with club regarding new trail on his farm, as he is seeing too many folk not appreciating what he is offering".

To all the moaners, members & non-members well done, you can give yourself a pat on the back, when we don't get new trails or one day lose another trail like we had in the past in the form of Kliprug. :thumbdown:

No point shooting the messenger Milky. People have the full right to ask the question why the increase is 4x inflation. The club should have foreseen this when they announced the increase. First prize would have been to attached that nice explanation to the fee announcement, second prize would have been to not close the FB page announcement for comments (moderate it if you are worried) - either of those could possibly have prevented this thread on a public forum.

Also I have seen very little moaning on here but a whole lot posts telling us we are moaning. Clearly to me most posters on this thread respect the club which should be obvious to any outsider monitoring this thread. 

The reality is though, that with a club of 1000's of member with no dedicated social media forum (the sanitised FB message board doesn't count) discussions will sometime spill over to a public cycling forum like the hub, that is the reality - no point hiding away from it or trying to use emotional blackmail on people not to use the hub