Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

One LONG day at work and the thread has added some 10 pages .....

Perspective - my comments comes from rubbing shoulders with some event organisers, which means I often hear what Patrick and his elves are up to .... So I "knew" of the work that went on behind the scenes.  Though the email that came out on Friday even took me by surprize !  Never realised to what extent the trail-network has grown !!  :thumbup:   :clap: 

Taking a step back ... yet another example of losing out on "good press" ..... just for one second - consider the alternative response if the Club had sent out the letter about the extra trails before the meeting.  This is obviously a BRILLIANT "team\management" that  has grown the network.  And those of us that ride regularly SEE the ongoing maintenance.

I am HAPPY that we have such a dedicated team !

I am HAPPY knowing that in a few hours we are meeting friends at Bloemendal and going to have fun in a safe environment.

And how easy is it to just take for granted the safe parking that is provided for us by the farmers.

Okay, sure, in a period of excessive increases for water, electricity, fuel, etc etc .... not nice to hear of yet another increase that is "above inflation" .... but WOW !!  :eek:   :clap:   At least for once, we are getting a LOT more for our money !!!

Just for some balance -

YES, I am not blind .... I have seen the odd trail board that needs TLC.  I have stopped to put boards back in place, I have sent emails on a Monday to the club indicating items in need of maintenance (adding a pic of the ride and thanking them for their hard work).  Sometimes it takes a week or two or three .... but these do get attended to !!  Imagine what the fees would be like if we wanted immediate action to each item immediately !

Sadly this morning my wife wont join us ... as the restaurants \ coffee shops only open by the time we come off the trails .... but I am realistic, there simply is not enough customers at 6:00 to open the restaurants that early in summer ...  Thankfully Meerendal does come alive from 7:00, so we often start our ride just that bit later to be sure to include my wife in the day out.  (Meerendal has other rides this weekend, so no other early morning options for my wife)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the FARMERS - My family and I are VERY grateful for the access to your grounds, and for allowing us the opportunity to relax and have some family time on the trails and in your restaurants !!  And I KNOW that our riding buddies share this centiment !

:clap:  THANK YOU !!!   :clap: 

Absolute bargain.

Imo 3-5% increases in the early years was beyond generous that in al likelihood caught up to them. The trail distance increase would have resulted in headcount and opex increases way beyond 5%. I am also willing to bet that none of the elves would have accepted that level of pay increase as well. 

Looking at the expenses associated with riding and maintaining my mtb the tgmtb is the lowest.

I don't know any of the committee but thank you for the work and to the landowners too. I really do extract the maximum pleasure from it.

I still receive the MTB newsletter as I miss 'our' trails muchly. I see Patrick has also dipped his toe into this

1) I think the Club should have explained the increase when announcing the new rates. Treat your clients with respect and not as if they are boundless bank vaults.

A club doesn’t have clients. It’s not a business. It’s a club. The SGM was the planned approved forum where explanations were offered for the increase in fees. If one doesn’t attend meetings or sign proxies with conditions attached to it it means one agrees with the rest of the decisions made.

Just to ad to my "complaint" a few pages back. I ride with about 12 if not more people at any given time. We are all out in the southern suburbs. Majority of the time that I ride tygerberg I am alone. Everyone else says its too far....

I am closest from southern suburbs and it costs me R100 to their and back. Everyone else don't want to take out membership as they say its too expensive and they stay further away.

Don't get me wrong, I understand trail building costs etc......

Out of this group of riders probably 4 have joined me only twice this year and 2 of them stay in Goodwood.

It would be interesting to know how many members are from mowbray t muizenberg, cape flats southern suburbs vs west coast, northern suburbs.

A club doesn’t have clients. It’s not a business. It’s a club. The SGM was the planned approved forum where explanations were offered for the increase in fees. If one doesn’t attend meetings or sign proxies with conditions attached to it it means one agrees with the rest of the decisions made.

I am fully cognisant of this as I rely on a club for my livelihood, and from a legal POV you may be correct. But that is not how it works in practice - if you want to keep your 'members' who aren't inclined to partake in decisions you still distribute the minutes of meetings where decisions are made, or you send out an explanation, especially if it involves revenue.

Edit: just to be complete, I would give my left bollock to have this kind of value on my new doorstep here, so I have no issue with the actual decision.

Edited by Thor Buttox

OKAY ... just came back from another stunning ride at B-Spot and D'Aria.

THANX to Patric and his elves !!!!

Standing below Lombards we stood in AWE of some youngsters ENJOYING the berms and drops and, and, and ..... And then it HIT ME !!

Why should we pay at all ??

These single tracks SHOULD be sponsored by the local orthopedic surgeons .... In fact they should be sponsoring the Cobra and a few others as well .... 

I would like to say thank you to the committee and secretariat who selflessly give their time in managing the affairs of TMTBC.

Thank you to Patrick and his team of trail builders, who toil throughout the year in extreme weather conditions so that I can ride my bike on a network of connected trails so vast and varied, that I wouldn't be able to ride them all continuously in 24 hours.

And the biggest thank you of all, goes to the landowners who open their gates and allow us access to their private land. Without them, I wouldn't have the privilege of cycling safely in some of the most beautiful settings I've had the pleasure of riding in. 

I will be renewing my membership fees for next year with a smile.      

TMTBC trails are awesome. I discovered MTB properly a few months ago and I almost can't believe how lucky I am to have so many cool trails on my doorstep.

Also, I'm sure a lot of happy trail riders won't contribute to this thread because they just want to ride... so while it may look like everyone is negative, I'm sure this isn't the case.

I'll certainly be buying next year's membership :)

To all the land owners, thank you for making your beautiful lands available to MTB riders, you rock! And of course thank you to the TMTBC and the trail builders :)

Edited by aquaratza

The genius who put me back together after the great femoral head debacle of 2016 said we're more lucrative than Rugby, motorbikes and car accidents put together.

OKAY ... just came back from another stunning ride at B-Spot and D'Aria.

THANX to Patric and his elves !!!!

Standing below Lombards we stood in AWE of some youngsters ENJOYING the berms and drops and, and, and ..... And then it HIT ME !!

Why should we pay at all ??

These single tracks SHOULD be sponsored by the local orthopedic surgeons .... In fact they should be sponsoring the Cobra and a few others as well .... 

Apologies for long post.

First off, THANKS a heap to all land owners/farmers for allowing us onto their properties! You're mighty stars!

Then to TMTBC volunteers and people involved: THANKS a ton for all your hard work and time. Mostly free. Most importantly, thanks for all the awesome trails. We are indeed blessed. Also thanks for the feedback/reacting when required. Lesson learnt in terms of communication - never assume. But also, don't take the words of a few to speak for all. Am amazed there are 7000 members! Awesome.

Both above parties provide unbelievable opportunities with a rare thank you. My idea, maybe have an event once a year, maybe with a small ride, to meet and greet and share a beer? Apologies if this already done. Takes the people out of obscurity and we have a platform to chat, laugh and engage and thank! Or even offer a small moan or constructive criticism - and getting feedback we never thought of. Reasons why some things work and others not etc. Or join in on trail building stints. I would love to do this, just don't know how.

Then, a suggestion to our community of dedicated mtb'ers & keyboard warriors: we all have valid personal opinions, but nobody needs to abide to anybody else's. Also, your set of circumstances, realities are always unique, so you cannot transpose that onto anybody else. Respect is key. If you feel aggrieved, take a breath and read a text again with another approach. Remember tone and meaning is not readable from written words.

Lastly re price: how important is your mtb riding to you? Of course costs are a constant juggling act for all of us. Only you can make a decision what it is WORTH for you. Consider though, that we all constantly negotiate and sell things to ourselves before we buy: house, car, mtb or anything else....and it involves compromises. Am I happy that I need to pay more for access to all the trails? Not really, but if I consider that for one less evening of drinks or small meal out, I can have a year full of riding as much as or whenever I want, the choice becomes obvious. What are you willing to give up to gain? Alone the health benefits are obvious. For me, now knowing that more trails will be built is already enough of an argument, never mind that the farmers possibly get more.

My calculation: R800 divided by 78 rides a year means it costs me R10 a ride. If you only ride once a week, then it's R15. If you ride less, well then get your ass out there!!

PS I was so happy to stumble on happy hops trail today. I will call it happy beer (geddit geddit? Lol), cos it's so close to the Dairy Shed and a rewarding beer. Always missed this trail as I took the lower option. Love riding new trails!

Happy Riding everybody!

Did TBTMC send a email to all their members, #makemtbgreatagain

They send out a series of emails each week, to their member database.

BUT, it would appear some of the posters in this thread have not been getting any emails .... now if you get NO emails, follow up and make sure your details are correct.  

Once your details are correct it is up to you actually scan each email to take note of trail closures during the next days ..... OFTEN somebody in our group has not taken the time to scan the email properly, and admits to not knowing of one or other closure .....

I deal with hundreds of emails per week, sometimes I dont read club emails, but then it is on me if get to a taped off section, or a blocked trail .... I quickly learnt to spend the time to check what is closed for the next days.

Edited by ChrisF

We ended up going to Hoogekraal on Saturday morning, despite the fear of snakes (we saw none but heard at least 27 in the bushes) and slight apprehension I had due to the "black" trail rating:

1. Made a friend who asked to join us but quickly realized we were to slow up Spyker Hill and joined an e-bike group (If this was you, sorry for the disappointment but even a blazing fast blue Pyga can't make a fat man speed up a hill) 

2. Friend learned it's important to check that your little brother may have changed your SPD's for flats while you were away, and ended up doing the trails on a hardtail and cleated shoes with flats. He only almost-died 4 times

3. Learned that even climbing can almost be fun if designed cleverly

4. Stood at the top of Cobra wondering if we should try when a father and his 3-foot high son explained what we should look out for before bombing off into the distance

5. Went down the Cobra which was amazing - it's just about half a level above where my skill is at, so perfect for me to learn. And almost all the parts that could be a little scary have options for avoiding it (either flat bits around the jumps, or clear warning before the slightly rocky bits)

6. Did Welvergenoegd (which turned out to be the friends answer when we got to Fair Cape)

7. Whooped in joy at the amazing downhills

8. Got a nice cycling sunburn

9. Going back as soon as I possibly can!

Thanks Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club, I can't think of a better way to spend my money (except maybe upgrading my travel... hmmmm some nice bikes in the classifieds..)

Oh, and I realised why no-one seemed bothered about the snakes - you are either bombing down a trail at speeds not even a puffy could strike you, or climbing up a switchback so steep you WISH a cobra would bite you so you have an excuse to stop :)