Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Loving the Bergamont, Captain. Not many of them around these parts.

Sadly, not my Bergamont, nor my Xmas suite, nor my current skill level - got that pic last year on a Xmas mailer, not sure who it is or from where, otherwise I would have given a photo cred.

Agree though, that is a sweet looking machine and are a lot more common overseas (spelling error fixed now - lol) - they have a huge variety of bikes, and recently also got their E-bike category properly juiced up with some proper long travel stallions. 

Edited by The Captain

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Tygerberg members perhaps know why there is no lock on the gate at the Protea Hotel end of the corridor?

We replaced that lock twice in so many weeks - within a day or so of replacement, the lock is broken off - we have no idea who will do such thing and what the reasons will be, other than having malicious intentions. We recently actually got some more heavy duty locks onto our gates, in an effort to curb the continues challenge of people purposefully breaking the locks. Will try and get a new lock fitted there for some time in next week - 3rd time lucky I hope !!

Sadly, not my Bergamont, nor my Xmas suite, nor my current skill level - got that pic last year on a Xmas mailer, not sure who it is or from where, otherwise I would have given a photo cred.

Agree though, that is a sweet looking machine and are a lot more common overseas (spelling error fixed now - lol) - they have a huge variety of bikes, and recently also got their E-bike category properly juiced up with some proper long travel stallions.

Ah, that's too bad. My first steed was/is a Bergamont. Entry level Revox, sure, but I still struggle to beat my PR's (Dorstberg descent for starters) I set on that bike using my current Spez Camber. Pity Bergamont no longer available (afaik) in SA.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my first ride with the new board today -- must say, Princess Merida looks good in the pink.

Rode the new corridor between Contermans and Meerendal which is fantastic. I didn't / don't get the newsletter for some reason so just checking, that singletrack is 2 directional?

Yes it’s both directions.

Took my first ride with the new board today -- must say, Princess Merida looks good in the pink.

Rode the new corridor between Contermans and Meerendal which is fantastic. I didn't / don't get the newsletter for some reason so just checking, that singletrack is 2 directional?

Also had a run in with a big Cape Cobra yesterday. Coming down Dorstberg on a completely blind corner. Just managed to spot half of it on the trail before slamming on anchors and stopping about 2 metres from the guy! He just casually turned and crossed the trail and slithered off into the bushes. Needless to say, my buddy and I took the rest of the descent A LOT slower!

Had a run in with a big Cape Cobra yesterday on the new corridor at Conties (200m from the pump house gate). He was in the single track and fortunately we managed to stop about 3 meters from him. Took about 5min for him to move into a hole on the side of the track...Please be careful 

Also had a little greeting from Mr C Cobra this morning - just to the right of the trail on Hoogekraal - on the climb about 50 meters past the welvanpas loop split. a rustle in the grass and there he was, hood raised, telling me to keep moving buster or else ... 

I obeyed.

Also had a little greeting from Mr C Cobra this morning - just to the right of the trail on Hoogekraal - on the climb about 50 meters past the welvanpas loop split. a rustle in the grass and there he was, hood raised, telling me to keep moving buster or else ...

I obeyed.

Gotta love how a segment is called the Cobra ????

And you spot some of them in and around them trails

Afrika is not for sissies ????????

I obeyed.

Faark. I would’ve kaked myself. ????????????

Ja by the time I heard and then almost immediately saw him I was already level with him and just kept pedaling -- it's amazing how immediate the sense of danger is - it's like a fear response in every cell of the body, as if the genes know that this is a creature to avoid at all costs.

AFAIK - nobody has ever been bitten by a cobra or a puffie on the TGMTB trails - touch wood as I say that - too horrible to think about.

Gotta love how a segment is called the Cobra
And you spot some of them in and around them trails

Afrika is not for sissies

Faark. I would’ve kaked myself.

With the amount of mice crossing  narrow singletrack just in front of my front wheel on our trails, I'm waiting for the day the reason the mouse crossing is because he is being chased by a cobra.

Otherwise, I hear rustling in bushes FAR too often for comfort, mostly due to the local Tarentaal population giving me a skrik.

Edited by Chingy182

I have exactly the same thought. Just hope he's too focussed on the mouse to fancy a bite of mamil.

With the amount of mice crossing narrow singletrack just in front of my front wheel on our trails, I'm waiting for the day the reason the mouse crossing is because he is being chased by a cobra.

Otherwise, I hear rustling in bushes FAR too often for comfort, mostly due to the local Tarentaal population giving me a skrik.

Big Cape Cobra on road at Contermans on Friday - between top gate (to hoogies corridor) an tree lane to the start of trails.