Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

I'm with you on this. I wonder though if a farmer (Mr Starke - hint hint) would be willing to allow a crew of members who have an interest in such a line to come help on a volunteer basis to cut such a line. This may go a long way to convincing the club that such a need exists, and they may allocate resources to help?

I'm there like a bear, with my panga, spade and cooler box full or beers in hand.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the trees, the roots help stabilise the soil and can be used as a tech feature too.

There used to be a right hand switchback at Tokai (Pre Fire) ... this was a single track climb section ... it was a great tech feature to come around the turn and then pop up to make the root ledge and keep going....also recall a couple of other root sections that were fun, but it has been so long I can not recall the detail anymore.

Tech climbs .... any other riders also feel a need for these? And I am not exactly the kind of person that likes climbing, but tech climbs are lekker tchjina's!

I'm not saying we should build a track so gnarly that you must have a DH bike to be able to ride it. A light trail bike gets the job done on Conties Mainline.

What I am saying is, build something like the top half of Iron Monkey. 10% of the clubs' membership are able to ride something like that. Another 20% of the existing membership would have an option to "skill up" when they're ready. And people who aren't members because they're bored of the 1000 berms, might actually consider joining.

It doesn't have to cost a ton. You pick a line with some cool features, where the soil is good and you know the drainage can be managed in the future. Clear a few trees if they're in the way and get the trail crossings/dropoffs sorted. The rest you leave raw and let it get ridden in.

Keep the trees, the roots help stabilise the soil and can be used as a tech feature too.

There used to be a right hand switchback at Tokai (Pre Fire) ... this was a single track climb section ... it was a great tech feature to come around the turn and then pop up to make the root ledge and keep going....also recall a couple of other root sections that were fun, but it has been so long I can not recall the detail anymore.

Tech climbs .... any other riders also feel a need for these? And I am not exactly the kind of person that likes climbing, but tech climbs are lekker tchjina's!

It was the last corner on boulders. And yep. Fully agree

Those roots survived the fire, what they couldn't survive was the dickheads that ripped them out rather than learning to ride them.

Yuuup. Much like a few things on the DH3 line at the top... which is also why it's now eternally rutted... 

FairCape Vrymansfontein:

Was on the FairCape Vrymansfontein loop this morning from Adderley Road. 

Please ensure you have enough sealant as the entire section from the first bridge to the 2nd are full of THORNS....

I had plenty thorns in my wheels, two riders was stranded due to insufficient or poor quality sealant. 

Any chance to link the Hoogekraal/Fair Cape loop to the Meerendal through the back? I mean on the D'ville side of the mountain (where Durby Dash goes along). But Quarry would also work.

I know that is private property and Meerendal now have hectic fencing and gates....but where there's a will there's a way  :clap:

My reasoning: the best way to get in an ultra long ride, without too much tar or backtracking would be this link to Meerendal, better hooking up Conties with Hoogies and Meer and opening up many more options.

Just a suggestion.....what do others say? Am i missing something?

Any chance to link the Hoogekraal/Fair Cape loop to the Meerendal through the back? I mean on the D'ville side of the mountain (where Durby Dash goes along). But Quarry would also work.

I know that is private property and Meerendal now have hectic fencing and gates....but where there's a will there's a way  :clap:

My reasoning: the best way to get in an ultra long ride, without too much tar or backtracking would be this link to Meerendal, better hooking up Conties with Hoogies and Meer and opening up many more options.

would love his

There's an upcoming AGM, there is normally an opportunity during the meeting for general suggestions where you can put this on the table. Would be great to have this link.

There's an upcoming AGM, there is normally an opportunity during the meeting for general suggestions where you can put this on the table. Would be great to have this link.

No there is not unfortunately. Not the couple I attended at least. Were told all the decisions about upcoming trails for the next year had already been made and we were just going to be informed of what was going to happen.