Gravel Grinding Craze

DirtyDan

I keep thinking about gravel - there's something immensely appealing about riding with the speed and responsiveness of the road -- but in the kind of spaces where the mountain biking happens. 

I wonder though if the fantasy might not be shattered when I'm having my prostate pummeled by vicious washboard miles from nowhere with three sips of water left in my bottle 'cos it's not cool to wear a camelbak while riding anything with drop handlebars.  

Sinkplaat is no joke on a gravel grinder/Cx bike. Especially with 33c tyres. But the pleasure of doing Karoo gravel is priceless.

Move to 40c tyres and it gets even better, since you can relax a bit and not worry about larger rocks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering converting my Inbred 26er. Only worry is whether a 700c with a proper tyre will fit the frame & the sid. Anybody have an idea?

Sommer chuck Clarks bb7 knockoffs, new wheels & components from my roadie on it.

Why always itch???

Grab a stranger's skinny knobbly tire and shove it into your 26er SID and see if it fits. I know that 29er slicks fit, but you'll have to see for the miniature knobblie clearance...

I can't go on this website without wanting to buy your bike and now you have to shove it in my face like this?! 

Man.... that bike is a dream.

OP, Dan, your bike looks rad. The wheels look really awesome and that seatpost looks like its been places......  :ph34r:

Luckily I know this dude who prefers to help his mates build wheels instead of do work on a Sunday afternoon... Same dude knows how to matchy matchy a seat post.  :blush: *kisses*

Grab a stranger's skinny knobbly tire and shove it into your 26er SID and see if it fits. I know that 29er slicks fit, but you'll have to see for the miniature knobblie clearance...

my 700c 23 fits, but recon a 40 is necessary to ride the baviaanskloof fully loaded. Will chat to the guys at my lbs if they have a cx in stock

Luckily I know this dude who prefers to help his mates build wheels instead of do work on a Sunday afternoon... Same dude knows how to matchy matchy a seat post.  :blush: *kisses*

Rumour has it he also stripped his own back wheel to give you his bolt through hub because horizontal drop outs.... he sounds like a douchebag

Seeing as Dan is a cocktease of IMMENSE proportions (as well as a bit of a cock himself)

I present:

98967d57da864b5112ea288601173e07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn this thing is an eye sore. Please pack it in an ugly brown box and send it this way. Will make sure it's properly used disposed of, especially if it's got a Hope or CK on the back...

So... we're putting it down to industry marketing then?

Yes

Industry marketing and hype to persuade you that the crazy expensive full sus you bought 1 year ago is now TOTALLY junk for riding on gravel roads.

It must be replaced with an almost exactly similar bike with slightly different handle bars and no suspension which is now TOTALLY better for riding on gravel roads/jeep track (which you would have scoffed at a year ago as a total noob pastime).

And a media circus which persuades you that if you require acceptance (which you should not) you must now buy/ride the latest thing or be shunned socially . :whistling:

And remember a GRAVEL bike is NOT a cyclocross bike rebranded -  its totally new idea ....

Enjoy ^_^ lol

The best part of gravel bike for me is its dual purpose abilities. It opens up so many more routes and exploration. Fast on tar, pretty capable on dirt, especially with the correct tyres and pressure.

At the moment I’ve got 28mm tyre on as I’m busy building my fitness up again. But when the time comes for more trail rides, I’ll put bigger tyres on and a different cassette for steeper climbs

The best part of gravel bike for me is its dual purpose abilities. It opens up so many more routes and exploration. Fast on tar, pretty capable on dirt, especially with the correct tyres and pressure.

At the moment I’ve got 28mm tyre on as I’m busy building my fitness up again. But when the time comes for more trail rides, I’ll put bigger tyres on and a different cassette for steeper climbs

So... we're putting it down to industry marketing then?

Seems not...

This anecdotal evidence suggests a previously unmet customer need was now fulfilled...

Plus the number of Frankenmonsters/Monstercrosses being assembled is also a good hint.

:whistling:  :whistling: :whistling: