Rider attacked in Durban

Aurora

Mod Note

This horrific story will naturally prompt many questions and discussion around general safety. 

Let's refrain delving into further debate on the matter here and keep to the topic. Rather move general debate to other suitable threads or start a new discussion.

Many contributors here have already expressed interest in helping Mhlengi with his recovery when the time / need arises. Let's ensure that this can serve as a platform to support that.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod Note

This horrific story will naturally prompt many questions and discussion around general safety.

Let's refrain delving into further debate on the matter here and keep to the topic. Rather move general debate to other suitable threads or start a new discussion.

Many contributors here have already expressed interest in helping Mhlengi with his recovery when the time / need arises. Let's ensure that this can serve as a platform to support that.

Has somebody confirmed if he actually needs financial support?

If he, himself asks, I will gladly contribute too.

Hi guys.  Just got the following in from one of our members who went to visit Mhlengi at St Augustines Hospital this morning:

I’ve have just gone to see Mhle he is scheduled for surgery this morning. I am gutted and heartbroken for my friend. He burst into tears when he saw me. His leg has bled a lot though the night, he can feel his toes except his big toe. He’s very down about what his future in triathlon holds but I have no doubt he will come through this with a fight. I told him he has the entire tri and cycling community and many my more praying for him.

Jetaime Ribbink

Edited by Dazshell

Has somebody confirmed if he actually needs financial support?

If he, himself asks, I will gladly contribute too.

Not confirmed as yet. A hubber has reached out via Twitter (mentioned earlier in this thread). Agree if it turns out to be required the proper channels would need to be followed.

Either way, let's avoid this devolving into a somewhat off-topic debate. 

It's been a while since a news story properly shocked me (which I suppose is a sad indictment on how desensitised I've become) but this is incomprehensibly shocking...

The violence, savagery and pointlessness of the whole thing...

His life would probably have been lost if they'd actually succeeded in cutting his leg off, thankfully they didn't, but now his professional sporting career is probably done... and for what?

Hope he makes a full recovery!

And they catch those responsible...

Did not even try and take his bike? Must be a planned hit!

If it was a planned hit, how did they know where to find him and how did they know the time he was training?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Terrible story. If there's a plate going round will happily throw a few beans into it. Glad Mhlengi is likely to be OK, hope it doesn't interrupt his career. Need more people like him who pull themselves up through hard work and discipline.

If it was a planned hit, how did they know where to find him and how did they know the time he was training?

And the chainsaw was definitely pre meditated.

I would not be surprised if this was a muti-related incident ie these guys believe that they need the appendages of an athlete for the muti to work or something of the like.

Problem is we are trying to make sense of a senseless act!

I would not be surprised if this was a muti-related incident ie these guys believe that they need the appendages of an athlete for the muti to work or something of the like.

Problem is we are trying to make sense of a senseless act!

he thinks they were nigerian. and nigerians are big into the human body part trade

A friend of the victim speculates that jealousy could have been the motive.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/chainsaw-attack-they-couldnt-get-through-his-bone-training-partner-friend-of-sa-triathlete-20180307

Guys walking around at 3am with a chainsaw - strange beyond belief. I still think this looks more like a crime of opportunity ie guys in the muti trade looking for an unsuspecting victim.

To know that he would be there at that time, on that route etc is way too well planned for a bunch who could not even start up their weapon of choice! My guess is they were looking for some poor, drunk varsity student and Mhlengi unfortunately crossed their path.

Who knows!

https://www.msn.com/en-za/sport/more-sports/sa-triathlete-undergoes-surgery-after-robbers-try-to-cut-off-his-legs/ar-BBJYuS0?li=AAaxc0E&ocid=spartandhp

So, Not a chainsaw but rather a hacksaw/normal hand saw?? 

I just imagined the pain he must have felt when I thought of it being a chainsaw, but now that I read it's a hand saw it makes me even worse.

I thought you must be sick to chop someone's leg with chainsaw, but now that I've read a handsaw, I cannot actually believe it.

Really hope this young lad makes a full miraculous recovery.