Superstitions

IceCreamMan

I ain’t a superstitious guy by any stretch of the proverbial however I always put on my left shoe first an left glove first. So far touch wood it works ;). If I catch myself putting on right shoe first I take it off an start again.

Anyone else have idiosyncrasies?

Left shoe, right shoe, left reflective ankle band, right reflective ankle band (both overlapping to the inside), left glove, right glove, helmet, glasses.  Don't ever change the order!

I ain’t a superstitious guy by any stretch of the proverbial however I always put on my left shoe first an left glove first. So far touch wood it works ;). If I catch myself putting on right shoe first I take it off an start again.

Anyone else have idiosyncrasies?

how do you know it works? What does it do?

All made in the olden days by bored moms and grannies to give themselves and us crap to worry about.

In saying that above...

That guy Murphy is a real d-o-o-s with his laws

I don't walk under signs that create an archway.

While walking or running I don't stand on cracks or joins in asphalt or shadow edges

I carry a penny with me (and have fire the past 24 years)...I flip best of three when I'm unsure about a decision

I used to count to my age and back to 0 before getting up in the morning.... But seemed to have stopped without realising it until now... Guess the number got too big [emoji23]

I probably have a million others I don't realise

I lift my feet on a Nelson

Edited by Stretch

Left shoe, right shoe, left reflective ankle band, right reflective ankle band (both overlapping to the inside), left glove, right glove, helmet, glasses.  Don't ever change the order!

Just the other way round, because strongest side first means whatever you do next will be your strongest performance. Figured this out when I was 5 and haven't stopped believing in it :blush:

Also - never trim nails the day before a race. Always at least 2 days before. Had a terrible race at school once. After thinking of every action I did in the day leading up to the race, trimming nails was the only plausible anomaly.  :blink:

I come from a cricketing background, so I have far too many little superstitions I carry with me.

Left side first with all clothes and socks and shoes.

I only exit or enter any room with my left foot first or get particular pleasure if I step with my left foot where 2 walls would intersect on an invisible line.

Climbing stairs with a rail bolted into the floor every 2nd or 3rd step can get quite tricky.

I've become quite the ninja over the years and I don't even think people closest to me know about my daily struggles

I also come from cricketing background and have some superstitions.

The one that remains an absolute hoot for me is how commentators go on about the left glove first thing. For goodness sake, it's just practical to put on the left glove first - the right one has  :cursing:  padding on the thumb!  :whistling:

Likewise, get up from the left side of the bike - because the dirty drivetrain is on the other side. Wear your racetec chip on the left leg for the same reason! (Not so much for dirt in this case)

I used to do things exactly the same way or use same sets of clothes if I had a good innings/race/whatever. Then one day I took my mark and stood on a line. I was not out the next ball so decided stuff that. I had my biggest crash on a bike wearing a "lucky" shirt... maybe I was lucky that more did not happen, but still, there went the clothing one.

I think the biggest thing is the sense of routine and comfort in that. And the routine and habits also helps that you don't forget your chip at home! Yes, I always strap mine to my helmet the day before when I set out my clothes - once again, just practicality...

I tend to rather have habits than superstitions. Loading my gear in a specific order as - helmet, gloves, pump, bike. Thinking behind this is that I cannot ride without a helmet and I would notice if I didn't have a bike with me.

But if I have something big happening in my life (major case, date etc) I wear the watch my Dad got me for my 21st bday. No clue why, just feels like I've got a bit of backup.