Going tubeless - what to carry?

Butterbean

Okay, so I'm sure there's loads of info on this but it's all spread out over various years of tubeless market penetration and varied opinions...

As a recent convert to the the MTB thing, I still love my road bike and my tyre care is based on road bikes..

I've just done a tubeless conversion on the mtb and all is well (had sealant tubes before and actually never had an issue).

So, the question is, what are you carrying for trailside maintenance??

I always thought a tube would do the trick, until a riding buddy needed mine and instantly flatted thanks to thorny track...

So, I've now got a repurposed sealant tube in the camelback, but is that enough? Do I need to rock some snot plugs too? Or just snot plugs and leave the bike at home? When do I try to fix, and when is it not worth and I'll need to take a long walk back to the trail head?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plugs (& tools)

Spare valve

Mushroom plug / gator

Bomb(s) & adapter

Small bottle of sealant on long rides

Spare tube

Duct tape

Mini pump

I never used to carry a spare valve till a rock hit it mine and bent it and I stupidly thought I could just bend it back....!

Plugs (& tools)

Spare valve

Mushroom plug / gator

Bomb(s) & adapter

Spare tube

Duct tape

Mini pump

What is the duct tape for ?

I never used to carry a spare valve till a rock hit it mine and bent it and I stupidly thought I could just bend it back....!

Had A valve break by rock flung up like 20m into an xco race once ( luckily the star was just before the tech zone )

What is the duct tape for ?

Side wall cuts

If all else fails, there is always duct tape.

Wrap around the rim and tire.

Plugs (& tools)

Spare valve

Mushroom plug / gator

Bomb(s) & adapter

Spare tubeot teh spare tyre

Duct tape

Mini pump

Fanie, you forgot the spare tyre (how far did you say you were going?) and the money for the taxi ride home  ;)

Plugs & Tools
CO2 Bomb with adapter
Spare valve
Tube
Small pump

That is what I would recommend well at least if you want to save on the weight and space. The other recommendations are fine if you are into carrying all that stuff, have been going with my setup for quite a while and it has never failed me yet and if it does it just wasn't meant to be on that day.

Keep sealant topped up (if you can hear the sloshing when you shake your wheel you need some more).

Then I carry snot plugs, 2 bombs and a bomb adapter and a gator (it's always just in the same pack). Tube in a Ziplock taped to frame. If you need more than that it's a seriously freak accident. Valve would be easy addition to the pack though.

I have helped people on trails with the following :

- valve tool .... JIP, very few have this in their tool bag. 

- valve INSERT .... I have seen an insert get blocked by the very sludge we rely on to seal our tires ..... lack of a spare insert meant a spare tube was needed, which meant more costs and effort down the line ....

- extra slime.

So I now have the following in the saddle bag :

- valve tool

- valve insert

- valve

- gas bomb with adaptor

- tire levers and spare tube

- small pump on the bike

In the car I have :

- spare sludge

- more gas bombs

- extra spare tube

- foot pump, for weekend trips the booster pump is taken with in case I need to pop a bead

- .... okay, I have a virtual workshop in the back of the car with a range of spares and all the tools ...  :whistling:

I have never needed a spare tube, but then again a long walk home is most likely on the cards for me.

I carry:

Small bottle of sludge;

Snot plugs (both car and bicycle size)

2 x mushroom plugs

A few co2 canisters.

From the advise here I'll add a valve or 2 to the kit.