Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

So after a bit of fiddling, this is my gravel bike....

Velo Orange Neutrino Frameset

Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs laced to Spank Spoon 28 rims

20" x 2.25 Tubeless Vee crown gem tires

Shimano 2x11 Hydraulic groupset with the flat mount calipers swapped out for SLX pm

I'm sewing up some frame bags. It should be fully kitted out by the time Around the Pot hits us.

It has internal routing for a dropper so I'm considering that because whatever.... The thing is a hoot

image.jpeg.bbf8c147edafb8128203561c1ca85785.jpeg

Well you know how i feel about it. If xxl wasnt so close to being too small id have one too. 

also, as you said, literalky the first Velo orange bike in SA. Thats nice too.

epic and classy bike.

ps: 

https://velo-orange.com

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, danievj said:

I run a 11-42 with the 2 x GRX setup on my Checkpoint. The rear derailleur copes fine but the total range across both front rings is beyond its reach so you cannot cross-chain it.

Thanks
The 11-40 cassette seems to be working OK. I got an old one to test the system, but the teeth are worn, so I need to splurge for a new one. I am struggling to get the chain length right though - I am nervous to go too short so that the mech isn't too stretched on the climbing gear, but the chain seems loose and clangy when on the flats.

It got me thinking that maybe the Sram 11-36 cassette would be a better compromise.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

300 EUROS? Yikes. If you want to go that far, just buy a hardtail MTB. 

money aside - its looks like the best option if your local trails are slightly rougher than you'd like

money not aside - its cheaper than those gravel specific forks

3 minutes ago, iammjcooke@gmail.com said:

https://gravelandtour.co.za/product-category/redshift/

have a look at this option. I’ve read that these work really well. 

I saw those, not the sexiest of stems.

The leverage on those means the bars change angle on you when the suspension compresses(they start to angle downward) not sure how much of a problem that would really be, but a big bump might give you the feeling you are going over the front.

With the Vecnum the bars do not tip downward - a cleaver design. granted you have to pay for that

Here is my BH RX TEAM - absolutely love it, got it from BH South Africa.

Spec:

Shimano dura-ace front mech

Shimano 105 rear mech 11 speed

Shimano 105 11 speed hydraulic shifters

Shimano xt Brake calipers

Vision 30, 30mm wheelset

Rotor 3D Gravel specific crankset

Running a specialized power saddle (not in pic) yellow

BH.jpg

Hope this is not too far off topic... Plan is to convert a 10 speed MTB to Monstercross... Can I simply change the MTB shifter with a 105 10 spd STI shifter?

34 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

Hope this is not too far off topic... Plan is to convert a 10 speed MTB to Monstercross... Can I simply change the MTB shifter with a 105 10 spd STI shifter?

You need to use a 9spd der. with the 10spd cassette and 10 spd shifter. (When using Shimano)

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 9:21 AM, Furbz said:

I saw those, not the sexiest of stems.

The leverage on those means the bars change angle on you when the suspension compresses(they start to angle downward) not sure how much of a problem that would really be, but a big bump might give you the feeling you are going over the front.

With the Vecnum the bars do not tip downward - a cleaver design. granted you have to pay for that

I have one of those Redshift stems.
Its not like a long travel fork that really dives and throws you forward as you run through the travel. I don't notice the change in angle on my bars as its so quick (without being bouncy). Granted, I am running the stiff elastomers, so it takes quite a knock to feel any movement.
If I replaced it with a rigid stem, I would get a good feeling of how much 'chatter' it intercepts. i.e. I would really miss it.

I used a friend’s Trek Checkpoint at one Race to the Sun. He had the Redshift stem (like 120mm or something but it was long) on and I only rode couple of loops with it and it was awesome! Pitty he is as big as a human and I had to replace it with a shorter non bouncy stem for the “race” and the difference was palpable. I think they are lekker!