YETI bikes, disgusting corporate behaviour

zeepee

I am so disappointed in the Yeti brand, I don't even know where to begin, I have been a loyal fan for almost 10 years and have loved all my Yeti's.

Yeti pretends to be this almost small family brand. In reality they are now a big corporation that bullies small businesses. If you ride a Yeti, know that you support a business with no ethics.

After using the same distributor (Cyclic) in South Africa for more than 12 years, they have suddenly and without warning given the distribution rights to a new company. The news was broken with a 3 line email to them, saying something to the effect of: "sorry, this is business, enjoy your life".

This was a small family owned bike shop which has built their whole business around the Yeti brand. This shop is now closing down and all the staff is now without work. The owner and staff have become friends of mine over the years and I'm not sure I'll even be able to ride my bike anymore, knowing what the brand really represents. If you have owned a Yeti you will know what I mean, it's not just a bike.

I cannot and will not support a brand that is so callous with people's livelihoods. It's disgusting.

Just to give you some background who Cyclic are, they used to be Morningside cycles, and they were one of the few bike shops that was invited, but refused to take part in the price-fixing scandal of a few years back. So there's some integrity there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Zeepee. how did you come across this information? Is it publicly available for further reading?

Edited by Dirkitect

Hi Zeepee. how did you come across this information? Is it publicly available for further reading?

"The owner and staff have become friends of mine over the years"

Sad to hear, but they did make a fatal flaw of specializing their business around one brand without having a contract to back up that business model. It was super risky, and sadly that risk worked against them. 

I would also be unhappy with my bike if it were the case, but it really is just business. 

uncool from yeti 

but that doesn't mean squat for anyone riding A yeti 

Same as someone saying you're A douche for riding A specialized .... no you're the douche for calling said person one..

Sad to hear, but they did make a fatal flaw of specializing their business around one brand without having a contract to back up that business model. It was super risky, and sadly that risk worked against them. 

I would also be unhappy with my bike if it were the case, but it really is just business. 

Its more than just business, if they had some integrity they would've at least given them at some advance notice, or proper reasoning

Sure they carried allot of risk, but being snaked like this is not ethical. 

Gutted for them

uncool from yeti 

Same as someone saying you're A douche for riding A specialized .... no you're the douche for calling said person one..

Sorry, but I cannot see the relevance of this.

The OP said he was a long-time supporter of the brand which has now changed. He never called anybody riding the brand's bikes any names.

It is very easy to associate supporters of a brand you don't like with negative attributes, but each to their own. Some like brand A and some brand B.

But callous business tactics is never cool if people lose their jobs as a result.

uncool from yeti 

actually specialized have also bullied some small businesses, so by supporting the brand you also support the ethics. 

Does more than one shop sell Yeti in SA? Perhaps the current distributors simply can't support the model Yeti wish to move to.

Intense have just done the same thing, and so have Pyga. After all, they are running businesses...

Its more than just business, if they had some integrity they would've at least given them at some advance notice, or proper reasoning

Sure they carried allot of risk, but being snaked like this is not ethical.

Gutted for them

I'm disappointed in Yeti. Cyclic/Morningside have given me great service over the years that that I've had my Yeti. Time for a change anyway.

zeepee... What's up dog?

I actually agree with you.

Guys saying 'that's business' or jumping on the anti OP bandwagon (which very often happen here in hubland unfortunately) are just removed from the emotions of a friend having to close down his business because someone else has (legally or illegally) screwed him.

As a brand, there should have been some negotiation or forewarning. Transparency and honesty in business go a very long way.

My apologies it has hit close to home. Yeti do still make rad bikes and I will never be able to afford one, so will say just this.....

Maybe they have taken the backing of Richie Rude a little too literally......

Surely the boys at Morning Side cycles can carry on trading , I personally never see Yeti bikes and wouldn't even know where to look for or even buy one .

I had no idea it was even a thing ...

It's a tough situation for the current distributor, but if their distribution agreement doesn't require specific notice, then they may be in their rights to terminate the contract lawfully. 

Poor business practices, nevertheless. 

Similar story to other brands like Eddy Merckx, Zipp, Ellsworth when the company gets sold to a holding corporate. It is a risk of being an importer, I guess.