[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

Too early for Munga 2018 discussions?  :)

Wondering if riders on past editions found a need for more than the 2.5L of water from the rules. I saw Jeannie Dreyer's mention of 4L in particular. Do others carry this much? 2.5L I can stash on bike, but 4L is heading towards Camelbak territory - which for longer events I prefer to ride without.

MOD EDIT:

See also here for advice:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179549-munga-2018-race-news/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179021-munga-musings-from-a-novice-part-123/

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything you want to share with us, Sir?

Too early for Munga 2018 discussions? :)

Wondering if riders on past editions found a need for more than the 2.5L of water from the rules. I saw Jeannie Dreyer's mention of 4L in particular. Do others carry this much? 2.5L I can stash on bike, but 4L is heading towards Camelbak territory - which for longer events I prefer to ride without.

Event Name: 2018 The Munga
When: 28 November 2018 - 3 December 2018
Where: Sun International Windmill Hotel, North West
Category: MTB

CAN A BICYCLE RACE CHANGE YOUR LIFE?

The Munga is not your average bicycle event. It's a crazy, single stage mountain bike race across some of the toughest terrain south of the equator. A 1000 kilometre rush from Bloemfontein to Wellington in the middle of the South African summer.

The Munga was created in 2014 by adventurer Alex Harris. The dream was always to create a race with a huge reward, and this it still the ultimate goal. The first Munga took place in December 2015 and was a massive success.

Since the inaugural race, the Munga has grown from strength to strength. New sponsors have joined the team, new riders have completed (and not completed) the mad journey.

THE BASICS

The Munga runs over a little more than 1000 kilometres. There are 5 race villages where riders can rest, eat and get mechanical assistance. There are also a number of water points placed between 50 and 60 kilometres apart. The race is semi-supported meaning that riders will be provided with support from race officials and at race villages, but will not be permitted to have support along the route. Everything a rider needs must be taken along, or bought along the way. Everything needed must be carried on the bike.

Go to Event Page

Is there anything you want to share with us, Sir?

Haha - well I think you already know the answer there Tim. Bullet bitten - entry done.

Edit: All part of a stealthy plan to have a crack at French Divide 2019. I know all the road miles under my belt don't really count for **** - I need to get some gravel ones in there ....

Edited by walkerr

I am pretty keen. I actually made an effort to get the money together to enter nice and early. But then one of our bakkies had a major engine failure. Result... 30k later the vehicle is back on the road and my entry money is gone. It is tough times for small business owners so I am hoping to be be able to get the required funds together again.

I am pretty keen. I actually made an effort to get the money together to enter nice and early. But then one of our bakkies had a major engine failure. Result... 30k later the vehicle is back on the road and my entry money is gone. It is tough times for small business owners so I am hoping to be be able to get the required funds together again.

You have my sympathy. I had to replace a gearbox in one of my trucks in Jan.

Ek vertrou dat jou besigheid sal optel dat ons jou '18 munga vordering kan dophou.

Crowd fund it. It was better entertainment that the last month's DSTV which I have now cancelled.  

Put me down for R1000 to open the account

Ek kyk die Munga net vir jou........ :w00t:  :w00t:  Wat se tipe besigheid het jy?

Crowd fund it. It was better entertainment that the last month's DSTV which I have now cancelled.  

Put me down for R1000 to open the account

You are a good oke Eddie. Shot.

I thought of sponsors but you know, Tim and Co sponsored me last year. Maybe time to give somebody else an opportunity to take it on.