[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

The more than once winner of 360One is on the list i think.

See ex road Pro Freddie Pienaar there as well.

And the multiple winner of the Harrismith Mountain Race , Michael McDermott is there .

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday near the start.

No further comment required.

attachicon.gif1541995997108.jpeg

...the accuweather forecast around Munga has a max. 32'C  :rolleyes: . Wind is not looking pretty though, and from a "fresh" new direction each day  :(. Hope some of you like thunder storms...

By the way, what data fields did you have showing on your Garmin's primary screen last year ?

I'm going with: HR, HR avg, speed, avg. speed, elevation, distance and time.

PS: Is heart rate monitoring a no go for Munga?

Anyone new to distance rides and just aiming to finish I can recommend Map & Time of Day. First few very long rides I did I found it very demoralising to look down and see numbers showing it was 90km to the next water etc. I've since learned to detach myself and not sweat the numbers but they can be a kick in the teeth at your low points until you get used to it. Better to look up and focus on riding to the next post or rolbos or something you can see and visualize. Keep stats on a page 2 that you don't look at too often

Those are the exact fields that I had. Incuding time of day and temperature.

I have to ride with my hr monitor..I feel naked without it.

...the accuweather forecast around Munga has a max. 32'C  :rolleyes: . Wind is not looking pretty though, and from a "fresh" new direction each day  :(. Hope some of you like thunder storms...

The wind has been insane so far this year. Today was very hot and a violent wind from the WRONG direction for Munga. But it can just as well a good wind on race day. In any case. Crying about the wind wont make it go away. I just HTFU and take it. It cant blow forever.

I tend to start of to fast, and then pay for it later on. Like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/961593642

So what I have started doing since then is to set an alarm on my Garmin for when my HR gets to high. For me that's 145. I only do this for the first 6 hrs of riding. After that, no alarm, and no HR data field displayed.

I tend to start of to fast, and then pay for it later on. Like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/961593642

So what I have started doing since then is to set an alarm on my Garmin for when my HR gets to high. For me that's 145. I only do this for the first 6 hrs of riding. After that, no alarm, and no HR data field displayed.

Interesting idea. Also tend to try and stick 145 or below for long events. Doubt will wear HR for this one. Might see if i can put an alarm on my watch tho

Edited by walkerr

I have to ride with my hr monitor..I feel naked without it.

...I'm exactly the same, helps to confirm its only my mind that is going off the rails

Anyone new to distance rides and just aiming to finish I can recommend Map & Time of Day. 

...therefore I'm revising my primary screen to: Map, speed, HR, distance and time

If you zoom in at the very end, there's an interesting deviation. If that track is accurate, it suggests we may not be descending Bainskloof on the tar to get to the new finish point.

doolhof is the finish now? interesting move!yup, you go donw on welvanpas trails to get there